Low chassis centre stand - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    My misis is on her second f800st and love's them, The one I just picked up for her is a factory low chassis I have fitted a centre stand from a standard chassis model and wondering anyone else has done this? I'm planning on cutting it down as it's to high for her to use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    emlevy
    4 Hours Ago
    I fitted the OE center stand on my factory-lowered F800ST and it worked fine. Keep in mind the lowered bike and the standard bike share the same frame, so the fitment is exactly the same. It was a bit difficult to hoist the bike onto the stand but I really didn’t have any issues doing it.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2012 BMW R1200R Classic 

4. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    "Keep in mind the lowered bike and the standard bike share the same frame"
    Please educate this new ST owner: how is the factory lowering accomplished? By fitting a shorter shock?
    I ask because our just-purchased ST seems to have a low seat but I can't decide if it's the "low frame" version."
    The seat height is satisfactory for the Missus but a little lower could be good. However, the pegs are relatively high then with the lower seat and the knee bend troubles her. The peg-lowering solutions are probably needed anyway, but I would like to know where I am first.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    emlevy
    4 Hours Ago
    Along with the low seat (which will fit all models F800ST, R, and GT), the front and rear suspension components on the low suspension model are shorter than the standard model, and the front suspension is located higher in the triple clamp.

I’ve owned both and believe the low suspension model handles better than the standard model.

On my two ‘07 ST’s, the low suspension model had a “8” in position 9 of the VIN, while the standard model had a “6” in position 9. Your dealer should be able to confirm which model you have. The factory lowered option is identified as “Other Equipment: 499A Lowering” on the original build sheet.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2012 BMW R1200R Classic 

Real Name
    Bill
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    emlevy, that's helpful info indeed, but unless my counting skills have completely deserted me, my VIN's 9th position is an "X".
    After that "X", there's an "8" followed by "ZR". So possibly I'm off a spot.
    The bike is in our storage unit at the moment. We can only fit three bikes in the garage when the Boss' car is in there as required by the Home Rules during frosting weather.
    So I will have a closer look at the bits when I get over there.

1 Week Ago
    Try this it will tell you the specs of your bike http://bimmer.work/
    ill try and find a picture of the difference in the length of the forks there's a considerable difference.

1 Week Ago
    I have measured the length of the fork leg and it's 78cm when on the side stand. The top of the fork is the same distance threw the top yolk as the standard bike.

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '86 750 F1
    Motorcycle
    '78 3 1/2
    As noted previously, the regular center stand will work with the lowered version, but it is a bit more difficult to get leverage to haul it up. For someone short like me, it was a hassle, but a Wunderlich retracting handle made a very nice difference.
    My spoon is too big. 

Real Name
    Jim
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherryriver View Post
    emlevy, that's helpful info indeed, but unless my counting skills have completely deserted me, my VIN's 9th position is an "X".
    After that "X", there's an "8" followed by "ZR". So possibly I'm off a spot.
    The bike is in our storage unit at the moment. We can only fit three bikes in the garage when the Boss' car is in there as required by the Home Rules during frosting weather.
    So I will have a closer look at the bits when I get over there.
    FYI; the VIN is (probably) on your insurance card.
    '08 F800ST Low 

Real Name
    Bill
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Heh- I'm the son of an old insurance agent. VINs are the currency of the land.
    Say- southeast Wisconsin? '74 Trident? Whoa!
    Had a raygun '69. Still smell the gas on the tickler finger.
    The Missus is in early winter throes and now thinking all about our '08 ST and whether she will find it as suitable touring mount to go with her wonderful but not-too-toury Ninja 400. She only rode it two miles as I was getting it squared away when autumn struck and it went into storage.

Real Name
    Martin
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by emlevy View Post
    It was a bit difficult to hoist the bike onto the stand but I really didn’t have any issues doing it.
    Since I always use the center stand in my garage I’ve cut a bevel on a piece of 2x6 and roll the back tire on it before putting it the center stand. Gives you an inch and a half head start and makes it a lot easier.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Hi all, this has been discussed many years back. The lower versions do not have a centre stand as where the standard ones do.

I have a lower version, no centre stand at all, I do not need one, though if I did I would get a second hand one with fittings and shorten it accordingly.

i hope this goes some way to sorting this issue.

Flook
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    19 Hours Ago
    Cheers Dave. Shortening an old centre(center?) stand is on my ToDo list this week. If successful, I'll post pictures. If unsuccessful, we shall never speak of this again......

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I understand what you mean Ian.

I wont say I am short but now I need a step ladder just to get on and off the bike, and may need stabilisers to stop falling over when I stop or a side car
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

18. Likes IanA liked this post

10 Hours Ago
    I use 5/4 x 6 deck board with a chamfered end when I need to hoist My F700GS up on the center stand. Works like a charm (but of course, it's not practical to take along on a ride).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Centerstand Board.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	370229

20. Likes IanA liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Hi Ian, how did you get on with the centre stand? I did the one on my misis ST over Christmas works a dream.

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    19 Hours Ago
    Still a "work in progress", Smity! I have cut about 50mm out of the lower legs of an old ST stand (looks the same dimensions as the GT) and aligned the feet back on the stand structure with short pieces of rod for spigots, ready for rewelding. I was going to weld it today but my workshop is 50 Km from home and it was 42C in the shade - I didn't leave the house...
    More soon.