F800s 2007 turn off in low revolutions (Please Help) - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    I am Gustavo Vargas from Colombia, I have an F800s 2007 and it is turning off under the following conditions:

- When I am in the city, the motorcycle never turns off, nor when it is turned on, however, when I go out to ride for more than 1 hour, the engine is hot and when I am at low revs, between second and first gear shift and I have to brake and press the clutch, the bike drops to about 800 revolutions, and it turns off immediately, however, when I turn it on again it turns on without problem and stays on, but when I walk again and press the clutch again the bike slows down and turns off.

If I keep a little Gas open, it stays and does not turn off.

I took it to the authorized BMW workshop in Colombia, but it has not been possible for them to find a solution, they are still searching but as this may have happened to some of you, I would like your help to understand the problem, and be able to fix it.

Thank you very much for your time, and I remain attentive to your comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Hour Ago
    It will be the Vacuum hoses that work in conjunction with the ICV (idle control valve). With age they get hot, lose their structure and cave in under pressure causing the stall. Replace those (they are cheap from BMW) and clean the head of the ICV. Then get the ICV calibrated as well to ensure its working correctly.
    That should solve your issues.

Part 10 is the hoses to replace
    Last edited by DJ123; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:21 AM.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

4. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Rod
    2 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    It will be the Vacuum hoses that work in conjunction with the ICV (idle control valve). With age they get hot, lose their structure and cave in under pressure causing the stall. Replace those (they are cheap from BMW) and clean the head of the ICV. Then get the ICV calibrated as well to ensure its working correctly.
    That should solve your issues.

Part 10 is the hoses to replace
    I dealt with a similar situation, and have mostly resolved it by cleaning the ICV and replacing the hoses. It no longer shuts off in low revs, but still will die once on its first cold start in the morning. Evening cold start in relatively same temps (~60 F), it's usually fine. After the initial cut-off, it runs just fine.

You mention calibrating the ICV. Is this something you need a dealer or GS-911 for? I do recall having to put mine back together after I "tested" it too much while I had it out of the airbox, due to the spring rotating too far and flying off.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Week Ago
    DJ123 Thanks in advance for your help, I will talk with the BMW Mechanic to check the ICV, I will let you know what happen with that fix. thanx mate

1 Week Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by rodzghost View Post
    I dealt with a similar situation, and have mostly resolved it by cleaning the ICV and replacing the hoses. It no longer shuts off in low revs, but still will die once on its first cold start in the morning. Evening cold start in relatively same temps (~60 F), it's usually fine. After the initial cut-off, it runs just fine.

You mention calibrating the ICV. Is this something you need a dealer or GS-911 for? I do recall having to put mine back together after I "tested" it too much while I had it out of the airbox, due to the spring rotating too far and flying off.
    rodzghost Thanks for your help, I will do it, and I will let you know what happen.

1 Hour Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by rodzghost View Post

If i remember right a GS911 can do it, so can the Motoscan tool. Otherwise a dealer can do this for you, my dealer only charged 1 hours labour for this (i know it's not cheap!).

If the ICV has come apart i would recommend changing it, you can get a 2nd hand unit from Motorworks for a lot less than a new unit. Then you would need to calibrate it to ensure the stepper motor knows all the correct positions.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Day Ago
    Thank you for the info. il always thought my numerous engine's stops were due to something like that. No information from the dealer, appart from:"engine off, turn the gas throttle up full and leave it going back. Then start the engine" It works...for a while!
    I'll check this part in the future (don't ride often...)
    f800 ST (just 14 yers old this month!), nearly 105 000km