BMW F800 Forum banner

Tube tires on the F700GS

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  grabcon 
#1 ·
Do you have to remove the TPMS sensor if you run tube tires?

I was hoping to run tube tires on the rear of the f700gs for 15,000 KM's,,?

How does TPMS readout react when the sensor is removed, and replaced with a tube & valve set up,. Do you get warnings on the dash or does it just go blank,,.
PS
I've had terrible luck with my Anakee Adventure tires this season,,. Puncture at 1000 kms and now again at 6000 kms,,. Both tires have been plugged and are holding air however I'm not confident running plugs and they have an alligator skin texture on the inside which might make it hard to patch,,. I was hoping to grab a tube and run them off,,. Probable a years worth of rubber there,,!!

#2 ·
I don't know for sure, but I would think that the sensor wouldn't work if a tube was installed in your cast wheel. That would surely trigger a fault that would be staring you in the face all the time. I am pretty sure that the sensor component would have to be removed, otherwise you run the risk of the tube tearing eventually due to the sensor rubbing on the tube material.

#3 ·
Yes thanks, from looking at them, the sensor definitely would require removal prior to installing the tube,,. really no point in keeping it in,,. Could be reinstalled later?

My concern is I don't want to be staring at the low air triangle plus the red warning triangle which is what you get when the pressure drops below a certain point,,.
I was kinddah hoping that if there were no sensor you would just get the blanks _ _ and nothing else?
What happens when the battery in the sensor goes completely dead, do you get a warning in the dash? Mine has been intermittent so its either giving pressure readings or the two blanks _ _ ?

Has anyone had a completely dead sensor?

#4 ·
Only my RS has a pressure sensor and that one will trigger the read triangle and likely the service wrench lights once the battery goes dead and the computer stops receiving a signal from the device. On my RS the entire $$$ sensor must be replaced by a dealer as the battery is sealed in the box and can not be replaced. Plus, once the sensor is replaced in the wheel, a dealer must calibrate the new sensor to work with your computer for it to produce accurate PSI readings. My best guess is that removing the sensor in each wheel will trigger one or more warning lights on your instrument display which you will have to live with. A GS911 device might be able to clear the fault, but it will likely return as soon as you start riding again. I guess it is possible that a dealer might be able to change the computer's firmware to one that is used on a non-sensor equipped model. But you would have to ask a BMW dealer's service advisor about that possibility.

Reactions: Lag
#5 ·
Ya,, kindah what I was thinking as well,,!!

Part way through a day of riding its not uncommon for this sensor to the blanks on the readout, no triangles or warnings,. I sorta hoped that it was designed to go blank on a dead battery so you didn't have to run to the dealer for a $500.00 dead $10.00 battery swap out,,. Wishful thinking on my part,!!

#7 ·
Yes, I have seen these as well,,. May require sawdering and a bit of finesse,,. Would likely involve doing your own tire work in order to free up the tpms sensor,,.
One advantage to a battery change is it may not require all the gadgetry to re-initialize the sending unit to the dash?

I like the Chinese tech one I have on my other bike,. Screw the cap off and put a new battery or another cap on, 2 min job, the whole set up is 50 bucks,,.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.