F800S Brake Calipers - same as on GS? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Days Ago
    Hey,

I couldn't find any info on this in the forum, so I hope I'm actually the first to ask this question:
    Does the F800GS use them same brake calipers as the F800ST and F800S? Reason being that my front calipers have started to seize up ( constant light front braking ) and my rear caliper also makes some odd squeaky noises when I'm pushing the bike that seems to be related to the rear brake pad not properly resetting. And no, it's not the rear bearing assembly, I just replaced that.

I can find replacement seals and even pistons for the GS, but finding parts for the S and ST is a bit more difficult. Sure, I could ask my local dealer but if I can avoid paying the "made in bavaria" tax I wouldn't mind, especially since the parts are probably very generic.

Oh, and has anyone tried cleaning the pistons with toothpaste? Seems like exactly the right cleaning agent, since it is mildly abrasive, like a polishing agent, but doesn't contain any oils or other slippery agent that could contaminate either the hydraulic system or the pads and disks.

Thanks in advance,

tengu

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Look up the part number using Max BMW's online parts fiche. Then search for the part number also on the fiche and it will tell you every model that has that part.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

4. Likes Daboo liked this post

5 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by tengu View Post
    Hey,

I couldn't find any info on this in the forum, so I hope I'm actually the first to ask this question:
    Does the F800GS use them same brake calipers as the F800ST and F800S? Reason being that my front calipers have started to seize up ( constant light front braking ) and my rear caliper also makes some odd squeaky noises when I'm pushing the bike that seems to be related to the rear brake pad not properly resetting. And no, it's not the rear bearing assembly, I just replaced that.

I can find replacement seals and even pistons for the GS, but finding parts for the S and ST is a bit more difficult. Sure, I could ask my local dealer but if I can avoid paying the "made in bavaria" tax I wouldn't mind, especially since the parts are probably very generic.

Oh, and has anyone tried cleaning the pistons with toothpaste? Seems like exactly the right cleaning agent, since it is mildly abrasive, like a polishing agent, but doesn't contain any oils or other slippery agent that could contaminate either the hydraulic system or the pads and disks.

Thanks in advance,

tengu
    i would start with replacing the piston seals, as these can prevent the piston retracting all the way. I would also clean the piston using a very fine 'wet & dry' grit paper (2000 grit). Then use Brake cleaner to clean everything off - its a great cleaner that evaporates and leaves behind no residue.

The piston seal kit for the front Callipers as available from Motorworks for £20, and the same price for the rear.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...HA_40&spPage=2
    Front Ref BRA16719
    Back Ref BRA51957

For the one in a 10 year job, its worth paying the money for the right parts, rather then cheaper items which may not fit or last as long.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

6. Likes Daboo liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    Look up the part number using Max BMW's online parts fiche. Then search for the part number also on the fiche and it will tell you every model that has that part.

Great idea.
    However, both Max BMW and the BMW ETK parts catalogue only list the complete calipers. Not feeling like spending that much on replacing serviceable parts that just need a few € worth of rubber rings.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    i would start with replacing the piston seals, as these can prevent the piston retracting all the way. I would also clean the piston using a very fine 'wet & dry' grit paper (2000 grit). Then use Brake cleaner to clean everything off - its a great cleaner that evaporates and leaves behind no residue.

The piston seal kit for the front Callipers as available from Motorworks for £20, and the same price for the rear.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...HA_40&spPage=2
    Front Ref BRA16719
    Back Ref BRA51957

For the one in a 10 year job, its worth paying the money for the right parts, rather then cheaper items which may not fit or last as long.
    Hmm, brake cleaner gets a no from me, but mostly because I think that toothpaste in combination with isopropylene on a toothbrush is going to be gentler on the pistons, with short alcohols like methylene and propylene disappearing in to thin air quite quickly. Excellent stuff to displace water with and float out undesirable contaminants.

But thanks a ton for the link, I'll see whether I can find someone a bit more local to me to speed up delivery who sells that.

9. Likes Daboo liked this post

Great idea.
    However, both Max BMW and the BMW ETK parts catalogue only list the complete calipers. Not feeling like spending that much on replacing serviceable parts that just need a few € worth of rubber rings.

Well the idea is to look for aftermarket parts for the GS if the parts are the same. The GS is a better seller and a better candidate for a parts search.

11. Likes Daboo liked this post

5 Hours Ago
    Great idea.

Hmm, brake cleaner gets a no from me, but mostly because I think that toothpaste in combination with isopropylene on a toothbrush is going to be gentler on the pistons, with short alcohols like methylene and propylene disappearing in to thin air quite quickly. Excellent stuff to displace water with and float out undesirable contaminants.

But thanks a ton for the link, I'll see whether I can find someone a bit more local to me to speed up delivery who sells that.
    The brake cleaner is to help clean along with the wet and dry paper . . . . . it won't do anything on it's own except help to remove grease. Which is why i suggested it - you don't want any grease, brake fluid or other contaminants on/near the brakes.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

13. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Nigel
    8 Hours Ago
    Hmm, brake cleaner gets a no from me, but mostly because I think that toothpaste in combination with isopropylene on a toothbrush is going to be gentler on the pistons...
    Think the clue is in the name, "brake cleaner". The other two have given you sound and safe advice.

Based on your questions and responses, I'll assume that you're not that familiar with servicing vehicle braking systems on a regular basis? If that's the case, have you considered asking adivce from a time served technician local to you? The should be able to help you ensure that you have a safe and effective braking system at not too great a cost.

Ride safely.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

15. Likes Daboo liked this post