'Bar riser compatability - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    Does anyone know the distance between centres of the handlebar cap mounting bolts on a S1000R? See image for the measurement I need. The reason for this odd request is that I've found a set of risers that suit my requirements, but are not listed as fitting any other BMW. I do know that the S1000R has the same diameter 'bars as the GT.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clamp013.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	369667. I should add that the sketch I've posted is of the clamp fitted to the GT. I know that the S1000R set up is different but as long as the centres are the same, it should work

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Pete
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 Bullet 500EX
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Hi Dave,

Sorry not a direct answer to your question...

I went with a wunderlich unit, for my F800R, which although expensive is great for my wrists .
    These are made for your specific bike.
    As some one in these forums recently said you will forget the price but remember the quality.

here is your model https://www.procycles.com.au/product...o-20mm-silver/
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” Robert M. Pirsig 

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    Thanks Pete. It's not price that is the deciding factor for me. I looked at the offerings from all the big name brands (Wunderlich, Hornig, MV Verholen, Rox etc). They were either available as just a vertical rise (20,30,40 mm) or with rise and way too much set back. I found some Chinese made ones on ebay with a 25cm rise and 20 mm setback. Only thing was they were listed as only fitting a S1000R. Hence my question. As they were relatively cheap ($A40), I've taken the risk and ordered them anyway.

5. Likes Daboo liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Rich
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Dave, there's a great company in Germany called Voight who make risers, brake hose extensions etc for BMWs. They have a riser for the GT which is 25 mm up and 15 mm back. I'll post a pic here. I've just fitted one of their brake hose extenders. Lovely quality and nice people to deal with. They reply to emails very quickly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vmt-voigt-mt-freiburg-handlebar-risers-30mm-and-15mm-closer-silver-for-bmw-f-800-gt-all-years-ki.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	369721
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    Cheers Rich. I'll have a look.

Real Name
    Claudio
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hand Drive View Post
    Dave, there's a great company in Germany called Voight who make risers, brake hose extensions etc for BMWs. They have a riser for the GT which is 25 mm up and 15 mm back. I'll post a pic here. I've just fitted one of their brake hose extenders. Lovely quality and nice people to deal with. They reply to emails very quickly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vmt-voigt-mt-freiburg-handlebar-risers-30mm-and-15mm-closer-silver-for-bmw-f-800-gt-all-years-ki.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	369721
    I installed these on our 2019 F800GT. The kit came with a brake line extender. On the drive-by wire GTs, no extension except the brake line is needed. You simply need to unclip the wire bundles to allow a bit more freedom of movement for the throttle and wiring loom.
    Claudio
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin 

Real Name
    Rich
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Claudio, which brake line extender did they supply with the risers? Do you have a picture? The one they supplied to me looks very discreet in black. Much nicer than the extenders from other companies.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    Update on the 'bar risers. The bar risers I ordered on Ebay have arrived. Yep, they fitted. So we now know that risers for an S1000R will fit our GT. Opens up more options for those going down that path. Haven't had a chance to ride them so don't know if I'll like the change or not. If not then I've only done $A40.

Real Name
    Jeff
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Redned View Post
    Update on the 'bar risers. The bar risers I ordered on Ebay have arrived. Yep, they fitted. So we now know that risers for an S1000R will fit our GT. Opens up more options for those going down that path. Haven't had a chance to ride them so don't know if I'll like the change or not. If not then I've only done $A40.
    Do you have a link to the ones you used?

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    JeffNC. I got them on ebay from China. If you put "Handlebar Riser Handle Bar Clamp Extend Adapter For BMW S1000R S1000XR 2014-2017" into ebay search you should find them. The brand name was Heinmo.

Real Name
    Jeff
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Thanks, I found them. So you didn't trouble with the brake hose?

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    JeffroNC (Jeff?). I tried not using one, and although it was possible, was a bit of a stretch. There are are a number of extension available but most are rather inelegant looking. I used one from a German company called Voigt. https://voigt-mt.de/Extensions-adapters. They are a bit pricey but they make one especially for BM's that when fitted look as though they are OEM.

Real Name
    Rich
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Dave, did you get the anodised black extender with a small 15 degree angle on the outlet? That's the one I have and it looks completely OE. I disconnected the pipe, installed the extender and had a soggy lever. Tied it to the bars overnight and in the morning I just tickled the lever a little, watched the air bubbles come up in the reservoir and in a couple of minutes hey presto!! Solid lever without even the need to top up the reservoir. There was no clamping of the pipe, or pushing the calliper pistons all the way out or anything complicated like that. In fact, the extension fitted without any drama at all. The only scary bit was torqueing up the banjos. For those who have done this you'll know that at the point the copper sealing washer finally compresses flat it feels as though you've stripped a thread but actually you've just completed the seal.
    18 F800GT 

17. Likes Sundog52 liked this post

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    Rich. Yes. Made for BM's . Certainly doesn't look like an add on.

Real Name
    Rich
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Cheers Dave. Voight did another similar extender but without the angle on the down piece. The guy at Voight did recommend the one you and I have though - said it was specifically for BMWs (in fact the GT was listed on the fitment guide). I think the one with the straight piece had a slightly different thread or a slightly shorter threaded portion or something like that. Anyway, I'm really happy with mine. Like you mentioned, looks as though it came with the bike. Much nicer than those plain straight silver tubes that come with some bar risers. How are you finding the new bar position? A big improvement?
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    2 Days Ago
    Rich. Unfortunately I've not had a chance to get out for a ride with them yet. I'm midway through some house renovations, which my wife informs must be finished by Christmas or it result in my immediate demise. My daughter and grandsons arrive on Christmas eve for a 4 week stay, so I reckon the end of January before a test ride. I'll keep you posted. To all my fellow posters.... Merry Christmas!