National Cycle (VStream) sale - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Email from National Cycle - 10% off through 12/31/20...use code "GIFT2020"

2. Thanks Daboo thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    12-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    So first Madstad. And now National Cycle...just how many windscreens did you try?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    So first Madstad. And now National Cycle...just how many windscreens did you try?

Chris
    It would take less time to tell you how many I DIDN'T try!

6. Likes Daboo liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Steve
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '74 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    So I take it you've given up on the VStream Sport?
    Welcome to the Machine 

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by 74Norton View Post
    So I take it you've given up on the VStream Sport?
    Not entirely, but the MRA X-Creen is working well for me at this time, so I'm going with it. For now...

Real Name
    Rich
    22 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Flyrider, did you put the MRA X-Creen back on then? I seem to remember you took it off and didn't notice much difference. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of getting one for my standard tinted screen. I think I've given up trying taller screens, for all the reasons we already discussed. But if the X-Creen just knocks the turbulence down a little bit I think I'd be content.
    18 F800GT 

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hand Drive View Post
    Flyrider, did you put the MRA X-Creen back on then? I seem to remember you took it off and didn't notice much difference. The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of getting one for my standard tinted screen. I think I've given up trying taller screens, for all the reasons we already discussed. But if the X-Creen just knocks the turbulence down a little bit I think I'd be content.
    Yes, I did put it back on. Once I switched back and forth a few times, I was able to detect what the X-Creen was doing (and I believe I documented that a while back). Essentially, what the X-Creen did for me (and which made me decide - like you - that tall screens and other permutations only introduced new variables) was to "divide" the wind flow coming into the screen. The picture below shows how I have it configured, and I've determined that, for me, this was the best set-up. By dividing the airflow, the force of air hitting the stock screen is reduced, and slightly raised, while air also flows under the X-Creen and between the OEM screen and it, reducing the effect of low-pressure induced turbulence behind the stock screen. It's enough of an improvement that I am finally at ease on the bike, though it'll never match the quiet you get in a car (duh...). I've taken it over 100 mph and not only was it solid, but I felt protected behind it. Earplugs are important, however.

I think this is a good solution...and by far the simplest I've tried. I'm keeping it on...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2579 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	430.4 KB 
ID:	369749  

Real Name
    Rich
    22 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Thanks. The theory makes complete sense. The standard screen is almost there for me, and the best of all the different height screens I've tried. I only need to reduce the buffeting a little and raise the airflow a little. I think I will give it a try. Are you happy with the aesthetics? I tend to think mods like this look a little strange at first then as I get used to them, they don't stand out so much any more. But not sure I'd ever get used to the looks of a Madstad, although they seem to perform excellently for some.
    18 F800GT 

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hand Drive View Post
    Thanks. The theory makes complete sense. The standard screen is almost there for me, and the best of all the different height screens I've tried. I only need to reduce the buffeting a little and raise the airflow a little. I think I will give it a try. Are you happy with the aesthetics? I tend to think mods like this look a little strange at first then as I get used to them, they don't stand out so much any more. But not sure I'd ever get used to the looks of a Madstad, although they seem to perform excellently for some.
    You'll get used to the aesthetics of the MRA X-Creen within a day or two. At first I thought it looked a bit strange, but that passed immediately...it now appears to me as very natural, a functional improvement to the bike and kind of "cool" looking. If you don't expect a miracle and don't expect total silence, you'll find the turbulence reduced noticeably. I tried every position before arriving at the one shown. If it's more vertical, you get more noise...if it's the same angle as the screen, it seems optimal. If it's any higher than where I have it, I get more noise. From the seat, the view I get is of the MRA appearing about 2" above the top of the OEM screen if you get your eye-level down to the top of the OEM screen, so I get some added protection, while the gap between the two attenuates the buffeting caused by low pressure behind the stock screen.

You'll want to fiddle with settings to convince yourself which is best. Find a stretch of road where you can go out-and-back a mile or so. Try a setting and ride; if it's not right, stop and re-set and have another go. Don't try to adjust while riding - it can be done, but the risks outweigh any benefit. Try the setting I'm using...I'm curious if that works for you, too.

Edit: By the way, the MRA I'm using is the "Sport" X-Creen...not the "Touring" version.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2578 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	440.8 KB 
ID:	369751  
    Last edited by flyrider; 12-01-20 at 09:06 PM.