How to replace front Left turn signal: How to separate wire connector. - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    John Robert
    11-25-20
    Hello Folks,

My grandkids accidentally broke off my front left turn signal. I purchased the replacement unit. I'm in the process of trying to remove the old unit. My question is what is the proper procedure for disconnecting the wire from the bikes internal connector? The connector doesn't have a place to squeeze to separate. I just don't want to break the connector.

Many thanks for the guidance.

John
    Temecula, CA
    2013 F700GS
    2019 R1250RT

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Fully disassemble the turn signal unit. The wires can be released from within and then pulled out.

Disassemble the new unit, push the wires through, connect the leads (there is no wrong order) and then reassemble.

A note of caution: the plastic lens releases with a single screw (on the back side) but pivots out. There is a small tab - don't just yank! Also, don't overtighten the screw when reassembling. This is the voice of experience.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

4. Likes Daboo, mervingry liked this post

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    That connector is a pain as you say but there is a slot in one half and a small locating lug in the other half. I found that if you cut a small tab of old credit card then insert it between the slot and the lug the connector just pulls apart. It's a bit fiddly but I've used this trick several times and it works quite well.
    18 F800GT 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

12-23-20
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hand Drive View Post
    That connector is a pain as you say but there is a slot in one half and a small locating lug in the other half. I found that if you cut a small tab of old credit card then insert it between the slot and the lug the connector just pulls apart. It's a bit fiddly but I've used this trick several times and it works quite well.
    Many thanks for the insight into how to separate the connector. I ended up taking it to the dealer. They were able to replace the turn signal for me. Next time I'll be good to do it myself.