BMW F800 Forum banner

Buying a used F800GT - what to look for?

4K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  Deekgfpw 
#1 ·
Hi Folks I'm going to look at a used F800GT, full BMW service history, 18k miles, very tidy in pictures, no signs of rust anywhere. It's got all the luggage and all the optional extras, including comfort seat. It's had a larger screen fitted, mirror extension blocks, 20mm bar risers. It looks like the previous owner has really cared for the bike. Is there anything I need to look for on these bikes?
Thanks

#2 ·
Sounds all good to me. What year is the bike? I can't recall any real issues on the GT that could be a problem other than checking the rear wheel and belt condition. I am sure that others will discuss how to check the condition of the rear wheel bearing which apparently has shown up as a problem on just a few GT bikes.

Reactions: 37monkey
#3 ·
I bought a nice used 2013 last year not knowing much about the GT. It's a great bike with no regrets and can't think of anything to check other than the normal things I would check on any bike. As Richard230 mentioned the rear wheel bearing play I've only known of one issue and I think it was posted here on this forum. The belt is another check and just know that a replacement belt if / when needed is very expensive. Good Luck!

#5 ·
At 18K miles you should be getting a fairly new/good condition motorcycle. My 2013 F800GT did have a rear bearing failure, likely caused by riding in heavy rain, maybe the belt being slightly tight from the factory or just a random poor bearing seal issue (failed around 27K miles). It's fixed and I don't worry about it now. With the bike on the center stand, spin the rear tire and you should not feel or hear any grinding or loud clicking sounds. Its common to hear the belt squeak or the brake to drag a little, but nothing significant. Look at the belt, is it damaged, does it track towards the inside/towards the wheel on the pulley. Look under the seat, if it's clean and the wiring harness doesn't look like its been messed with, probably a good sign. While on the center stand, rock the bars back and forth make sure it's smooth and no clicks or catching. Swipe your finger around the inside of the exhaust pipe, should be dry, dark grey and not heavily deposited. If so, he's probably ran quality fuel, no stupid additives and the engine is running in tune. As many others on this site, my F800GT has been rock reliable, so trust your gut and ask questions. If it works out, enjoy many mile of smiles!!!

#6 ·
This suggestion is more for a potential bargaining item, not a cause for worry. So ask if the valves were adjusted at 14K as BMW requires per the maintenance schedule. It's an expensive check and one that a lot of owners put off.

Again, it isn't a cause for worry. I don't think I had my valves checked until about 35K...and they were still in spec. But it might be a way to knock off a couple hundred dollars, if you want to try.

Chris

#7 ·
I’d worry less about the valve inspection and more about evidence of periodic fluid changes (oil, brake fluid). 18k miles is nothing if the fluids have been maintained. Check the brake pads and tires for excessive wear, too, like you would with any used bike.

#10 ·
In the UK? I guess you've bough a bike before so you know that service history, title and HPI clear are the first things to check?
If all OK start looking for a slight oil leak from the rocker cover and oil cooler.
Is a belt change due? Thats £500 + job at a BMW dealer, 24,000 mile service interval.
Service due ? Valve check is £300+
Cosmetics ok?
Are the panniers included?
Other than that there is little to go wrong. Best to get an SE version with center stand, comfy seat and heated grips.
They are great bikes, nippy, comfy, handle well and economical.
:)

Reactions: 37monkey
#11 ·
Might be a bit late for you now but I can tell you the issues I had with my 2013 GT at six years old and 14,000 miles. Bike had been well cared for and not ridden in winter. There was some paint flaking around the bottom front of the engine and drain plug. Head bearings and front wheel bearings were on the way out (diagnosed by a BMW workshop), front fork oil seal dust covers were cracking as was the boot around the clutch cable at the handlebar lever. All in all, nothing serious but may aid in any discussions about the price.

#15 ·
Traded my '16 3 months ago with 31,000 miles on it. No big problems that were not related to service work. The water pump was weeping a tiny bit. The hose for the water pump seal leakage comes out the bottom. Had a small hose on the airbag that was replaced under warranty at the 24,000 mile service. 24,000 miles is a big service that includes replacing the belt. Check to see that the tension is proper. Too tight and the wheel bearings don't last - I know! Generally my bike was trouble free - except for requiring premium gas AND premium headlight bulbs. First two I replaced were standard H7s from an auto parts store as the old bulb burned out when I was on a long trip. Did some research and replaced the bulb with a heavy duty bulb - not as bright but much longer lasting. In general a solid bike that handles well and does not weigh 700 pounds.

#17 ·
Before I bought my bike, I had heard stories of how badly the F800 vibrates. A friend of mine rode one and he said it vibrated so badly his hands were asleep in just a few minutes of interstate riding. He is an experienced rider/racer and owns several Nortons - so I am sure he knows what excessive vibration feels like

When I bought mine I rode local roads and some interstate highway - and I never experienced the vibration issues that fooks have complained about. I have ridden mine over 500 miles in a day and I don't feel the bike vibrates excessively.

It seems that some of these vibrate - and others don't.......so I suggest you ride the bike before you buy it. (I am starting to wonder if the tightness of the handlebar mounts in the top yoke might make a difference.......when I installed bar risers I did not tighten the mounts excessively and I believe it is smoother now).

#18 ·
Before I bought my bike, I had heard stories of how badly the F800 vibrates. A friend of mine rode one and he said it vibrated so badly his hands were asleep in just a few minutes of interstate riding.
It seems that some of these vibrate - and others don't.......so I suggest you ride the bike before you buy it.
That's good advice, My first 'proper' bike was an ER5 so I had an early introduction to vibrations, it was a bike that can be best described as like riding a wet fish. That aside, I tried the bike, all fine, so I bought it. It gets delivered on Thursday :D

#32 ·
F800GT purchase

More to follow once it arrives :D

View attachment 369809
That looks great, 2 months ago I bought a 2014 one in Valencia Orange, very pleased so far, main additions have been a new set of tyres Avon storm 66/65 as it was still on the original set dated 2013, engine bars fitted which I've written about under modifications and extra rear view mirrors which I've fitted to the handlebars as the stock ones give me a good view of my elbows!
I see that you are fairly local, I'm in North Somerset near Portishead .
Enjoy you new wheels, you've got some good roads in your locality, ride safe, cheers John.

PS I too had heard about vibrations but to be honest its minimal, all vertical twin engines will vibrate a bit but the Rotax engine has a counter balancing system some one technical can explain, at 4,500 rpm which is the 75 to 80 motorway cruising speed its hardly noticeable.

Attachments

#34 ·
First time I took mine out for a longer ride about 1.5 hours in I noticed my hands tingling - realized I was gipping the bars pretty tight. Relaxed my grip and never had any more difficulties with vibrations. I did put Grip Puppies on it which gave a bit of cushion and I liked the additional thickness. The bars do vibrate a bit particularly in the center and depending on the mount it could be a pretty good shake if the resonances were bad - shook my iPhone and caused problems with the camera, could not keep a USB adapter working if mounted on them either. For a USB port I drilled a hole in the inner fairing on the right side and mounted a dual USB outlet with a voltmeter. That worked really well. In order to keep up with the cruiser crowd I did mount a RAM cup holder on the handlebar :) It was really handy during my trip in June when I had to do drive thru fast food. They hand me the giant (illegal in NY) coke which I put in the cup holder and the hamburger and fries I stashed between me and the tank bag and ride to a nearby parking spot and eat next to my bike. I have some really good memories of that. Not a special restaurant or scenery but I'm off on an adventure riding my motorcycle and enjoying life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.