New to the Forum Thinking of buying a 2016 F800GT - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

4 Weeks Ago
    Have owned 42 Bikes in my time... BMWs , RT, GS, K75 Harleys .FXRs, RKings, Eglide, Multiple Japanese ST machines, Ducks(Selling my 96 900SS CR), Guzzi, and just bought a 2020 Honda Super Cub.

63 yrs old and looking for a light weight, Sport tourer, just sold my 2019 1250GS, great bike did a run in British Columbia. After some web research have landed on this machine.

Looking at a 2016 F800GT with all the bells and whistles (Premium) with panniers, top case, 6.5K.... $8,995

Live in Upstate NY so Riding season door is firmly shut.

Thoughts?

Great Forum by the way.

Karl

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I just moved from my second R1200Gs to a 2016 F800GT. I would not recommend to move to a f800gt. While I love it, i have had to upgrade the suspension ro progressive springs and change the seat. Also waiting for a boosterplug as it seams to be running really lean. Without the spring upgrades it felt like the front was diving in the corners. Now it feels right. Also the instrument cluster is lacking after having a R1200GS. In a way I wish I went with the K1200/1300GT.
    Last edited by RoniRider; 12-09-20 at 11:25 PM.

1 Day Ago
    I had a 2016 and it was a good bike, coming from the sport bike world I thought the suspension was soft but worked well for me. Made several trips with it loaded with full sidecars and a big duffle on the rear seat. Hat lots of fun including some very spirited rides thru the twisties. Didn't have an excess of power but acceleration was OK. Standard seat is junk - replaced it with a comfort seat with an AirHawk. That worked very well for me - went as long as 3 hours at a stretch. Brakes are good, belt drive is nice as you don't have to lube the chain. IMO biggest problem was mine put out hot air on my inner thighs when the temperature was over 92. It's light enough to roll around in the garage without too much effort. It balances well at low speeds even fully loaded. The engine is designed to run lean for fuel economy. Probably one of the most amazing bikes in that it is capable of squeezing lots of miles out of gas IF you slow down. Slowing down and watching the gas mileage go up to 70 or better saved me a couple of times from a sure out of gas situation. They are generally reliable if you have good folks working on them. I traded mine in September for a Tracer 900 GT, a similar sized bike with similar capabilities but a fantastic engine. I was looking for touring capability with more sportiness for the fun local rides.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Weeks Ago
    Thx Guys have the whole winter to shop .... yes the front fork are not adjustable WHY BMW .. cost probably.... Look at a Tracer, was not impressed with the dealer and purple wheels WHY, but the Engine is the gem!

Real Name
    Lonnie
    18 Hours Ago
    i like mine - does everything i want it to - certainly worth a look imo -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    I have both a 2018 GT and a 2017 RR...so the soft GT suspension doesn't bother me at all, mainly because the RR is "sport-firm" and a soft ride once in a while is very nice.

But, yeah, going from a GS to the GT might disappoint you. Not keen on them, but some guys swear by the XR.

4 Weeks Ago
    About the only time I used the GS HP was in Montana 130ish MPH..... not going to do those speed going forward.... Dealer knock some $$ off, close to pulling the trigger... Thx for the comments

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I'm in mid state NY. I have a 2016, regular seat, side and top cases. No issues with comfort, can go 4 to 5 hours without even thinking about it. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room. Just got rid of my '88 CBR1000 (bought new in 89) when I moved to this and I figure I'll own this for quite a while.

Real Name
    emlevy
    21 Hours Ago
    The F800GT is more of a sporty commuter than a sport-tourer (depending on your definition). If a true sport-tourer is what you’re after (comprehensive wind management, fully adjustable suspension, cruise control, etc.), you might be disappointed.

That said, I really enjoy my F800GT, but I have other bikes when I need to crank out the miles.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2012 BMW R1200R Classic 

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    5 Hours Ago
    GuzziKarl. A single bike can't be all things to all people, as you can see by the posts. As a rider with over 50 years on a huge variety of bikes (including 15 as an instructor), I find the GT an excellent machine. Sure, I have changed some things that I didn't like or that I felt could be improved upon. Yes BMW made some interesting additions and omissions when it designed/made this bike but so do most manufacturers. Mainly for cost reasons. So, take all the posted opinions on board (they're all valid), take the proposed purchase bike for a ride, a long one, if possible. Then, armed with as much info as you can get, make a decision. Hindsight will tell you if you made the right one. All that said, I don't think the GT will disappoint you. Happy riding.

13. Likes IanA liked this post

4 Weeks Ago
    Like many of you I have multiple bikes currently a custom Cafe Guzzi, 900SS Ducati and the mighty Honda Super Cub. The 800GT is in another state and it's Winter here so a test ride won't happen. The Web is a magic place for research and my brother riders (MAB: motorcycle advisory Board) all say go for it. My main Mechanic/friend says the Rotax engine is bulletproof. It's the reason he bought a Ski doo. I've toured on a Harley FXR so this will be world above that mark. Have owned two RT's too big. (3) GS's really have not much wind protection, unless you put the Areoflow Popemobile windscreen which I did on one 1100 GS.
    The heat issue is a minor concern, BUT in Upstate NY not so much. Front forks , I'll put in progressive springs no big deal. And I keep Sargent and Corbin in business buying their aftermarket seats. BMW stock seats suck.

In July I suffered a spinal injury that set me back... 18 Day in the Hospital,, yada yada yada. So looking for a light ST. The 1250GS was awesome but way too heavy.

Again thank you folks for your candid responses and I'm gonna sleep on it and then call the dealer Friday : )

15. Likes Daboo liked this post

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    From this most recent post, I'd say you should go for it. The weight factor is something I really appreciate about the GT. I don't want a heavier bike, and the GT is great fun for cruising, or getting a little sporty in the twisties. With the panniers, it's got it all. I almost sold mine a couple of times, but damn glad I didn't. When it's too sedate for me, I just take the RR out for a 200-300 mile ride and work out my sportbike muscles. But the GT...perfect for a sporty-cruise.

The Rotax is a great engine...love it.

4 Weeks Ago
    Ok read most of the threads on the heat issue.... Is it that bad?

1 Day Ago
    It depends on your heat tolerance. Mine never burned me but was uncomfortable sometimes. At interstate speeds when full loaded and ambient was mid 90s and higher it could be tough but not burning me hot. I just sweated more.
    Below 90 was not really notocible. LOL if it was cold it didn't keep me warm. Think I said this in one of the threads but IMO some of it has to do with how well the inner parts of the fairings are assembled - if all clearances are tightened up not so bad. If the panels are assembled less carefully and the gaps are allowed to be bigger then can be worse. I had a MadStad windscreen which may have tended to pull more air up thru the cockpit area and thus pulling more hot air out. I wear long pants plus First Gear overpants whenever I ride. So like most stuff you read on the web the truth is somewhere in the middle, its not a no problem but again not a blowtorch that's going to burn you. I rode my bike 250 miles wit the temperature between 99 and 103 on the interstate. It was hot, I sweated but nor burns or even uncomfortable skin. I usually ride with my knees up against the side of the bike slightly gripping with them, if I got hot would splay my knees out and get some cooler air on them.

Don't like the purple Tracer wheels, mine are black

4 Weeks Ago
    Thx PhotoAl...plenty of my other bikes had some heat, gotta say the RT were sorted out ...I'm also looking at a 2012 ..R1200R , never had one , checks alot of boxes

4 Weeks Ago
    Good call on the black wheels : )

Real Name
    Chris
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziKarl View Post
    Thx PhotoAl...plenty of my other bikes had some heat, gotta say the RT were sorted out ...I'm also looking at a 2012 ..R1200R , never had one , checks alot of boxes
    I've never understood why BMW uses the engine heads as frame sliders.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I've never understood why BMW uses the engine heads as frame sliders.

Chris
    Not frame slider but toe muffs on my R80
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    As others have said, different strokes for different folks. I've never noticed any heat at all. Wish I would on days like today (25F). I ride all year and have ridden above 100F and still don't feel any particular extra heat from the engine. But I have long legs so it's possible they are above the spot others feel heat.

24. Likes Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCheat View Post
    As others have said, different strokes for different folks. I've never noticed any heat at all. Wish I would on days like today (25F). I ride all year and have ridden above 100F and still don't feel any particular extra heat from the engine. But I have long legs so it's possible they are above the spot others feel heat.
    I feel the same way. I've hit some pretty high temperatures and only a couple times, have I felt any extra heat coming from the engine. When I did, it seemed like I was in a cross-wind and instead of the heat coming from both sides of the bike and being lessened by the wind, it was coming out on only one side. When that happened, I just moved my knee out away from the bike's frame and all was well. And in a mile or so, it was gone.

Last summer, I hit my high going through eastern Oregon. I think it was something like 112F or maybe even 116F. Whichever it was...it was hot. But I never noticed the engine heat.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    emlevy
    21 Hours Ago
    2012 R1200R could be a fun choice but it’s a bit heavier than a F800GT, if that’s a concern. I bought my ‘12 R12R because I wanted a simple roadster “for those days when you just want to go for ride” but I’m a huge fan of the Telelever too. It replaced a ‘14 CB1100 DLX, which was an absolute jewel of a bike.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2012 BMW R1200R Classic 

Real Name
    Nigel
    1 Minute Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by emlevy View Post
    ...huge fan of the Telelever too....
    Agree with you there, it's a good setup, very little dive at the front when riding with spirit with that setup.

Takes a little bit of adjusting when swapping between bikes though which, as the rider, I need to have in mind. The F8, R80 and R1150 each have their merits but they all handle a bit different but I enjoy each for different reasons.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

5 Minutes Ago
    Maybe it's because I'm wearing riding pants and not jeans, I don't feel much engine heat on my upper legs or knees. If it's really hot, my feet seem to suffer the most and I do think it's somewhat related to the cross winds because it's not always the same side. The combination of baking hot blacktop and maybe a little more engine heat exiting one side or the other seems to be the issue for me. On the bright side, I think the F800GT cooling system and fairing design dissipates engine heat really well. Previous motorcycles were not able to run in 100 degree temps and have the cooling fan click on so seldom when going through town traffic or at slow speeds in road construction. There's always trade-off's to any motorcycle, but I haven't found rider heat to be a big issue with the F800GT and I agree with others that when it's cold as hell, I wish it was just a little. Where's the heated seat upgrade....

4 Weeks Ago
    Love the look of the CB1100 DLX. And yes the Telelever and Paralever works well. Pretty much deciding on the R1200R (it's 23 pounds heavier then the GT, just need to keep working out). They are not inexpensive.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012 R1200R.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	369885

And tempted by the 900XR, tried to test ride one early November but my balance wasn't up to it. Rode it a few yards in the parking lot and parked it rather then crash it.

Nice to have choices.

Real Name
    Ric
    3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '01 R1100S
    I ride in hot conditions and usually wearing office trousers, and I don't have any heat issues. Last week saw 42c (>107f) and no problem. In summer I usually see a few at 46c, and this in 60km/h traffic and no problem.

I think 2017 the F800 had some minor, but telling refreshments. I believe fuelling was one of them. One thing I love about this bike is the little, or more usually no transmission slack. It's terrific in a situation when you are going downhill into a tight 2nd gear corner and you can go from trailing throttle to applying the power with none of that snatch that can be unsettling. It's bliss in that regard.

12-13-20
    Motorcycle
    '12 Bonneville
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Love the look of the CB1100 DLX. And yes the Telelever and Paralever works well. Pretty much deciding on the R1200R (it's 23 pounds heavier then the GT, just need to keep working out). They are not inexpensive.

Name:	2012 R1200R.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	369885

And tempted by the 900XR, tried to test ride one early November but my balance wasn't up to it. Rode it a few yards in the parking lot and parked it rather then crash it.

Nice to have choices.
    I changed my R1200R (curiously it was exactly like the one in the clip) for an F800GT last year in order to get the F800 before production ceased.

Having had numerous boxer engined BMWs, mainly tourers, it was a hard decision to make. I loved my R1200RT, but for me getting older, it was a big cumbersome machine to manhandle and turn round in the garage so I changed to the R1200R in order to lose some of the weight of the plastics on the RT. Not quite as comfy as the RT, the one piece seat was very hard.

After a couple of years, decided again that what I really needed was a lightweight bike hence the F800GT. My local BMW dealer used to loan me a F800 whilst my bike was in for service so I had ridden a few miles on them.

Whilst the weight difference quoted seems small it is very noticeable. I have seen numerous different weights quoted for both bikes. The balance of the F800 is near perfect. With the fuel tank being under the seat, there isn't the top heavy feeling that, whilst pushing around that any degree of lean is likely to result in it pulling you over. If weight is a concern I would recommend test riding both if possible back to back.

I feel a lot more confident on the F800 with it's lighter weight and the handling feels so much lighter and on the twisties I find I can safely go faster (I know, it's all a mind thing).

Do I miss my 1200s ? yes, I could just sit and admire the engine on the R1200R without riding it BUT, I have come to the conclusion over the past year, that for me, the F800 was the right bike to change to. As for the new 900s, until they come with better mudguards, they're not for me. I don't think my wife, who always rides with me, would appreciate being covered in road spray all over her back.

At the end of the day it's what you want from a bike, there are always compromises to make.

32. Likes MGD109, XR1000 liked this post

1 Day Ago
    Good description of the F800GT, I came from 600cc sport bikes, my last two being 50 pounds (or more) lighter than the F800GT. They are top heavy and as Filonian said it was a hassle just pushing them around in the garage, keep them perfectly upright or they get heavy quickly. Low speed maneuverability - I rode daily but still was not easy to balance them at low speeds. F800GT is much lighter at low speeds and IMO very easy to balance at low speeds even fully loaded. I took my F800GT places I would have never gone on my sport bikes. F800GT also drops into turns very nicely with just a slight nudge on the bars - very similar to my sport bikes. I never worried about the suspension settings - there are none other than rear preload. When going on long trip I'd tighten the rear preload up. Bike handled well and I had lots of fun with spirited rides even fully loaded. The other day I rode an Indiana FTR - wow it was fun, not practical but felt super light and was so easy to ride, balance and steer yet it weighted 525 pounds I think.

LOL I traded a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 for the F800GT, I still miss that bike and know how you feel! What I missed most on the F800GT was the high RPM acceleration the ZX6R had - wahoo lets go play! Brakes were similar and the handling was similar particularly on the street. When having fun on the ZX6R everyone knew it - hard to miss an I4 at over 15,000 RPM. By comparison the F800GT was a stealth machine.

4 Weeks Ago
    So the R1200R deal fell apart. Gonna wait till Spring to test ride them both. The GT seems like the perfect , although unrecognized bike.

Did ride my Guzzi yesterday.. 53 F in Syracuse, NY... Don't tell the Weather Gods ; )

Name:	Guzzi Cafe.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	735.3 KB 
ID:	369905

35. Likes PhotoAl liked this post

4 Weeks Ago
    Appreciate all your input... The forum is precious when making a bike buy Danka !

4 Weeks Ago
    Appreciate all your input... The forum is precious when making a bike buy Danka !

Real Name
    Jeff
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Howdy all,
    I have been testing a 2015 from my local BMW dealer. I joined this forum to help me decide. It has been very helpful. I got about 90 miles of twisties yesterday and hit the highway for a while. I am very impressed. I have an F700GS and while it is lighter than the GT it is much taller and it makes me nervous at low speed and moving it in and out of the garage. The GT feels better in this regard beside being great in the turns. I figure I need a little more windscreen protection for the winter and to move the bars some. Otherwise, its good to go.
    Thanks for the great forum

39. Likes Richard230, XR1000 liked this post

Real Name
    Jeff
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    I do have one question which I hate to ask:
    What breaks if you drop one of these? I had a K1600GTL so I have bought my share of tupperware.

5 Minutes Ago
    Knock on wood!!!, but my F800GT has only fallen over once and that was in a semi-grassy campsite. The kickstand sunk in so the bike fell over, totally my fault. Normally I use a plastic parking puck, but I moved the bike after I had unloaded everything and didn't replace it. With the factory bags on the bike it mostly fell onto the clutch lever and left bar end. It folded the mirror in, but luckily it didn't do any damage to plastics. If it had happened in concrete or pavement, it might have bent or broken the clutch lever and probably scratched up the mirror. Good luck and I hope you never find out the answer.

Real Name
    Jeff
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Thanks for the response. I feel your pain. I hope I don't find out as well. I am making the deal today.

Real Name
    Rich
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    I dropped my previous GT doing a slow right turn out of a junction. Didn't give it enough beans and it stalled. I didn't have the courage to look closely at the damage until later on that day. It didn't have the panniers on so I expected the worst. None of the plastics had any damage at all, not even a scratch. Nor did the brake lever or bar end. It was all very weird. The rear foot peg had road rash, the hero blob on the right rider foot peg also. The brake pedal had a scuff on the end and the right indicator and mirror were scuffed up. All bolt on parts. I replaced all the damaged bits and the bike was as new again. I still can't figure out why the plastics were undamaged. Even the Givi topbox had no damage whatsoever. Just lucky I guess.
    18 F800GT 

4 Weeks Ago
    Had my share of tip overs,,, almost always add crash bars.... Tipped a C14 Kawi on the Blue Ridge Parkway ... totally my fault... Parked the bike in neutral to get a pix of my fellow rider come up the road and watch/heard my bike tip over,, crash bars saved the tupperware.

Saw some nice crash bars for the GT... But it looks the bags become the bumper guards

Real Name
    Nate
    4 Days Ago
    I bought the 800 Gt in October and on my second ride, snubbed the clutch doing a right turn from a stop sign so basically stationary. But it fell onto the pavement. I was super mad at myself that i dropped a new ( to me) bike and feared the worst. However, it only suffered some almost indetectable scuffs on the hard plastic pannier.

1 Day Ago
    PO dropped mine in his driveway, very little damage, bent the shift level a bit but I never messed with it and never had a problem with it. Sometimes it ould be cantankerous about finding neutral particularly with fresh oil. Last service tech carefully adjusted clutch and it was much better so probably not related but the 800GS's can bend the shifter inside the transmission - not a super difficult repair - there is a YouTube video on it. I came to the F800GT from a high reving 636cc sport bike so was used to giving it some throttle starting off. F800GT seemed to stall somewhat abruptly and caught me out a time or two but I never dropped the bike - worried about it though. I did drop my ZX6R once while sitting at a stop sign. Someone coming from my right turned onto my street. They were cutting the corner and at first were headed straight at me, they cut sharper and went to my right (this wasn't in England but the US). I jumped off the bike and out of the way and the bike and I fell over! Car stopped and asked if I was OK then drove off, two fellas walking by helped me pick up the bike.