New member about to buy F800ST or GT, opinions desired. - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Leif
    1 Week Ago
    Hello to anyone and everyone.

Iím looking at a 2008 ST with under 14k miles for £3995 in uk. Full luggage, one owner, advertised as great condition and close to home at a dealer with good feedback.

But I also like the GT, and others but no need to stray from the F to bore anyone.

Iíve got a K110LT, 1994. Itís been great but is far too heavy and outdated, so I think I need a change.

Iíd love to hear any opinions on the difference between GT and ST. Iíve been riding for 25 years and had numerous machines including sidecar outfits.

Right now, commuting 10 miles to work is my main use, but I am an occasional 900 mile return-trip rider with bagpipes on board.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    emlevy
    2 Hours Ago
    Ergonomics and aesthetics aside, they’re virtually the same bike. I’d opt for the GT as some of the gremlins on the ST were rectified when the GT was introduced, but if you ride either bike, I doubt you’d be able to discern much difference between the two.

I owned two ‘07 ST’s and neither gave me any trouble. My decision to sell them and buy a GT was simply because I prefer the panniers on the GT.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2012 BMW R1200R Classic

4. Likes Beleif liked this post

Real Name
    Leif
    1 Week Ago
    Thank you.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    On the GT look for a bike thats SE spec. i.e. has heated grips, center stand and comfort seat.
    The basic model is short of a few essential items. As far as I can tell not many basic models were sold, most were SE.
    They are great bikes with few faults.
    As usual in the UK as I'm sure you know check title (HPI clear), accident damage and service history.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK†

8. Likes Beleif liked this post

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    When I bought my ST new it was the final model and the dealership already had the GTs available so ... I literally could have had either one. I opted for the ST because I thought (still think) the larger bags on the GT looked out of proportion and I am a minimalist tourer so the ST expandable bags have been perfect for me. As someone else said, they are mostly identical to experience from the saddle so take your pick. Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

10. Likes Beleif liked this post

Real Name
    Leif
    1 Week Ago
    Thank you. I’ve emailed the dealer to look at the ST. It’s close to home. If he offers me a trade-in for my old warhorse, I’ll probably buy it.

Real Name
    Rich
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    I had an ST and now on my second GT. There are quite a few differences, mostly in the details (switchgear, fairing, length of rear swingarm etc). However, for me, the major difference was in the seating position. ST has more of a forward lean. I did some long trips on my ST but prefer the seating position of the GT. If you don't like the large panniers on the GT you can fit sports panniers (similar to those fitted to the ST).
    18 F800GT†

13. Likes Beleif liked this post

Real Name
    Paul
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '66 T20SH
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800 GT
    I had a 2008 ST from new and kept it for nearly 10 years before trading it in for a new GT in 2017. At the time I thought the ST was the best bike I had ever had, torquey, plenty fast enough, very good handling and brakes, belt drive. In those 10 years the only issue was the EWS Ring Antenna which failed and was replaced under warranty. The GT is very similar but better in many ways, ride-by-wire throttle, suspension and riding modes, more comfortable, it feels a more "Grown-up" bike than the ST. I like the look of it and the fact that is still a fairly rare bike so appears unusual. Both excellent, surprisingly light and manageable bikes that can still deliver a good turn of speed when required.

15. Likes Beleif liked this post

Real Name
    Leif
    1 Week Ago
    Bought the ST. Delivered next week. Cheers. Haven’t told the wife yet. Thought I’d try and sneak it into the garage and let it become part of the scenery. Or I could try reverse-psychology and convince her it was her idea and she nodded when I mentioned the idea of changing the K1100 for something else in the future.

17. Likes IanA liked this post

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleif View Post
    Bought the ST. Delivered next week. Cheers. Haven’t told the wife yet. Thought I’d try and sneak it into the garage and let it become part of the scenery. Or I could try reverse-psychology and convince her it was her idea and she nodded when I mentioned the idea of changing the K1100 for something else in the future.
    Good luck with both those approaches. I have done both and neither was successful. I once bought a new car and snuck it into the garage (it was the same color as the previous vehicle, so ... worth a shot.) Did not make life any easier for me for a while. The reverse psychology idea just flat did not offer any chance of success.

Nice bike you bought, though. Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

19. Likes Beleif liked this post

Real Name
    Phil
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleif View Post
    Good luck with that then

21. Likes Beleif liked this post