it is broke - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Steve
    6 Days Ago
    I have a 2007 F800ST. I was on a 15 - 18 mi ride. As I turned onto the street I was going to, It quit running. It was a little low on gas. More did not help. The headlight did not come on with ig. switch, like I believe it usually does, so suspected bat. (It would do nothing with key.) Bought new bat. Have not yet inst. because, after good charge (do not remember checking volt. first), I have a static voltage of 12.7. Seems to me this should make something happen. (There is a small clear light in bottom left side of headlight on. But it does not appear to be designed to project light.) Has anyone had such an experience? also, I dropped bike. Need to replace front turn signal. Book says there is a connector in there, but I cannot see one. Anyone know what's up there? Thanks for looking!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    The connector for the turn signal is tucked up near the radiator. It is hard to reach and tricky to disconnect. I chose to -very carefully- disassemble the turn signal. Since yours is already damaged, there is little risk and will be good practice when the new one arrives.

Install the battery and see if the motorcycle starts. That is the most certain way to find out.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

22 Hours Ago
    12.7v after charging tells me that your battery is dead and it's probably low enough when you turn the key to keep the bike from powering on the electronics. The small light in the headlight housing is all that will light up until the engine is running, think of it like a parking light.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Rcb78 is wrong. 12.6 volts at rest indicates a healthy, fully charged battery, so you are good to go there. 12.4 or lower is when you should be concerned.

However, he is correct about the lights. The low beam will not turn on until the engine is running. Only the parking light will be on with the key until the engine is running.

So if you have 12.7 volts at rest, then the bike should start with no problem. If it doesn't, then you have another problem. Is your sidestand down? If so, maybe the sidestand switch, neutral indicator, or clutch switch is bad. Any of those can block the computer from starting the engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

22 Hours Ago
    At rest yes, but he said that it's 12.7 off the charger. A 'good' battery right off the charger should read closer to 13 and even higher. It shouldn't lose the surface charge for about 10-20 minutes without a load on it.

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    At rest yes, but he said that it's 12.7 off the charger. A 'good' battery right off the charger should read closer to 13 and even higher. It shouldn't lose the surface charge for about 10-20 minutes without a load on it.
    I would concur but the OP doesn't sate how long battery had been off charge he does say "static voltage" which would suggest to me he had measured the voltage as it decreased after the charger was removed and stopped decreasing at 12.7 Volts.

Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    12.7v after charging tells me that your battery is dead and it's probably low enough when you turn the key to keep the bike from powering on the electronics. .........
    In my experience that would be plenty high enough to power on the electrics.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

22 Hours Ago
    Not without a load test to confirm the state of the battery. I've had plenty of batteries over the decades that would show a good voltage at rest but crash once the bike/car was turned on, not even cranking the starter. Modern-ish vehicles draw a decent amount of power when the energize the ECU, fuel pump, etc. OP says he has a new battery but hasn't installed in yet, that would be my first step since it's apparently just waiting to be used.

Going back to what a 'good' battery will show,, both bikes in my garage right now have 1yr old batteries and neither have been on a charger since they were ridden last. One has not been ridden in over a month and is showing 12.79, the other has been parked for 2 weeks and is showing 12.82. I literally checked just now and it's in the low 40F's in my garage. I would expect better from the OPs battery after a charge even if it was a day later.

Here's another question, re-reading the OPs post more carefully, the only reason he suspects a battery issue was because the engine quit, and then the headlight didn't come on when he cycled the key, and we've established that is normal until the engine starts. Anything to add? Like did the display energize and go through the startup sequence, did the fuel pump prime, anything???

Real Name
    Steve
    6 Days Ago
    Thanks for all the input. UPDATE: I puled wires from signals to get plastic out of my way. That was simple. looks like bugger to reassemble. I will see. The guages light up and work. Idle stepper motor, fuel pump, or whatever cycle when key switched on. I did install new bat., after a good charge for effect. No dif. Starter relay makes no noise. Nothing happens when I push start button. Suspect a safety as suggested by someone. It is just so odd that it was running great, then just sputtered out as I turned. Will investigate further as time allows. Fortunately, I drive a company truck, so I can still work!

Real Name
    Cramer
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    A quick check to avoid most of the safety switches is to stand the bike up, raise the side stand, pull in the clutch, make sure the indicator is showing neutral, then hit the start button.

I hate to even ask, but have you made sure the kill switch is in the on position? I don't use mine, I just use the key to turn it off. One time I was stumped as to why mine wouldn't start, and a couple hours later I finally realized I had accidentally moved the kill switch to the off position...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

12. Likes notacop, Irn, Sundog52 liked this post

Real Name
    Randy
    20 Hours Ago
    Yeah, I parked in a HomeDepot parking lot last year. Some joker flipped the kill switch on my ST. I spent about half an hour trying to get my bike started. I finally trailered the bike home. On taking the bike off the trailer, I noticed that the kill switch was in the wrong position. Yup, flipped the switch and it started right up
    I never use the kill switch either, but if my bike doesn't start right up, that is now the first place I look.
    2010 F800ST 

14. Likes Irn, ccramerusc, Runmyownlife, TheMeteor liked this post

Real Name
    Ian
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
    Yeah, I parked in a HomeDepot parking lot last year. Some joker flipped the kill switch on my ST. I spent about half an hour trying to get my bike started. I finally trailered the bike home. On taking the bike off the trailer, I noticed that the kill switch was in the wrong position. Yup, flipped the switch and it started right up
    I never use the kill switch either, but if my bike doesn't start right up, that is now the first place I look.

I love overlooking the obvious, there should be a club for us members. The time I borrowed a friend's carburated Triumph. Shut petcock valve off, parked, restarted no problem, then sputtered and died. Luckily the guy riding a Harley at the light next to me said sure sounds like you forgot to open your petcock! Avoided a trailer, but about to call my friend and read him the riot act on lending me such a dog.

Real Name
    Steve
    6 Days Ago
    More details: I never use kill switch either. It is turned on. I even tried it turned off, just because! As for the bat., It was about a week off the charger when showing 12.7 vlt. The new one is identical, no attempt to start. Will spend much of this weekend (probably) checking safeties. Gunna be an awsome time to ride, here in
    az. Forecast is 75*!

1 Day Ago
    ignition on and motor off should allow you to turn on the high beams. Had a burnt out parking light after I reassambled mine and fiddled around for hours, trying to figure out why the headlight wouldn't come on. Does it do the speedo sweep? rear lights are on? Do you have the onboard computer display, what does that say?