2016 GT OEM Tinted Windscreen Still Available? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Tim
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    Greetings!

I have a 2016 800GT that came with the stock height clear windscreen. I'm looking to replace it with the equivalent size OEM tinted windscreen.

I was at my local BMW shop / retailer yesterday and when he looked in the online parts catalog it showed there was 0 available in the US and the price was $0, which according to him, usually means BMW has discontinued the part. About a month ago he and I chatted about the tinted windscreen, via phone, he said it was backordered and cost $230. As I watched him try to locate the part number for the windscreen I started to wonder if he was doing so correctly. The one he focused on was the tinted windscreen that has "GT" etched into it. That's for the 2017-2019 GT's and I'm not sure if the new windscreen fits the 2016.

Does anyone here know if the stock height tinted 2016 windscreen is still available from BMW? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone and safe riding.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Hi Tim
    To answer your question from a slightly different perspective, I just fitted a Puig screen to my 18 GT. The Puig screen fits all ages of GT 13>19, which suggests there is no difference in fixings over the years

So to my mind you'll be OK with a later screen on your earlier bike
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    10 Hours Ago
    not sure about fitment - just wanted to share that i decided this past summer that i wanted to do the same as you and started my search by calling my local dealer (about 30 miles away) expecting to order one - to my pleasant surprise, the parts guy said he had one in stock for a hundred bucks - sweet !
    !

sometimes we get lucky -

i would think they could do a dealer search but maybe not -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Rich
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    I transferred my OEM tinted screen from my 2013 GT to my current 2018 GT. Absolutely identical fittings but no laser logo. The BMW part number for the tinted screen with laser logo is
    77 33 8 560 429

There is a European company that sells it but expensive 221.35 UK pounds. I guess postage to the US would add significantly to that, But sometimes, a sale outside of the EU means they will drop the tax on the product.

https://bmw.europe-moto.com/gb/windshield-windscreens-bmw-motorrad/8779-bmw-windscreen-tinted-mat-f800gt-k71.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=3&gclid=Cj0K CQiAs5eCBhCBARIsAEhk4r4Qm92HXaEz36xRLE8xItEUxsEd8x TNnpaqGYdNc5CjyFoLr1LpSyQaAnVPEALw_wcB
    18 F800GT 

59 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    A couple years ago I ordered a factory "tall" windshield - I used Bob's BMW to order it (they just seemed so much more able to get things than my local dealer is able to).

It took a few weeks to arrive - but it came just as they said it would (Pre-Pandemic).

Real Name
    Tim
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    Thank you everyone for the great insight and suggestions.

Tomorrow I'll start calling dealers, there are 2 others in DFW that I know of and will call Bob's BMW as well.

Thanks again and I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers,

Tim

Real Name
    Tim
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    Greetings all,

This post has been a month and a half in the making.

From what I've been able to gather, in the US & Canada tinted OEM windscreens that are remotely close to the riders line of sight are no longer permitted by US DOT and the similar governing agency in Canada. This realization came about after numerous calls to US BMW Motorrad dealers, Bobs BMW, and a couple dealers in Canada. Usually I was told that the part is no longer available but some said that they've encountered similar difficulty in obtaining OEM tinted windscreens for BMW, Ducati, and Triumph due to governmental restrictions. One dealer, that I used to have my RT serviced at in WI was actually able to place an order, which gave me hope. However, after 3 weeks of nothing from BMW, or her BMW Rep, I decided that I was out of time and cancelled the order.

Thanks to Ajaay's assurance that the windscreen fitment was the same throughout the GT lineage and Right hand drives link to BMW Moto Europe I was able to get the windscreen ordered, shipped, and installed in the last 2 weeks. Just in time for my trip to Phoenix.

Many thanks to all!!

Real Name
    Rich
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Glad you managed to get one Tim. They do look good on the bike don't they. Interesting about the availability and line of sight thing. The top of the tinted screen doesn't come anywhere near my line of sight and I'm not that tall. Sometimes I wish it did for a bit more wind protection. The US seems to have some slightly strange regulations compared to Europe. I noticed for example that you can't buy a BMW motorcycle in the US with LED turn indicators (same applies to other bike manufacturers). I thought LEDS were brighter and therefore safer. Similarly the rear light unit on our bikes is different between Europe and the US. In the US there is a separate light for the licence plate.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Richard
    10 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hand Drive View Post
    Glad you managed to get one Tim. They do look good on the bike don't they. Interesting about the availability and line of sight thing. The top of the tinted screen doesn't come anywhere near my line of sight and I'm not that tall. Sometimes I wish it did for a bit more wind protection. The US seems to have some slightly strange regulations compared to Europe. I noticed for example that you can't buy a BMW motorcycle in the US with LED turn indicators (same applies to other bike manufacturers). I thought LEDS were brighter and therefore safer. Similarly the rear light unit on our bikes is different between Europe and the US. In the US there is a separate light for the licence plate.
    Another example is that BMW makes a large rear fender for the R12R/RS models to keep rain and road debris off of the rider and passenger. However, this fender is only available in New Zealand and not in the US for some odd reason. I have tried ordering the fender from my BMW dealer and was told that it was not available for sale in North America. So I ended up making my own fender out of a couple of cheap auto rubber mud guards that I found in my local auto accessory store. It turned out looking very similar to the NZ BMW rear fender. I'll attach a photo just to illustrate the type of mud guard that makes me wonder why it is not approved for sale in the U.S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9658.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	845.0 KB 
ID:	372341  
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

12. Likes IanA liked this post

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Glad you found a tinted BMW screen...they DO look terrific on the bike. As for wind protection, I'm finally at the stage (following years of seeking the "perfect solution") of accepting the fact there is no "perfect" solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2493 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	577.8 KB 
ID:	372383  

Real Name
    Tim
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    Greetings,

I'm safely back in DFW after my ride out to Phoenix. The GT did the job well over the 2,200 mile trek.

Right hand drive & Richard230, you are correct in the lunacy of the US DOT as the restrictions on OEM tinted windscreens seems to have little to no relevance of riders line of sight. The folks that I spoke with at the dealerships said the the restrictions on BMW, Triumph, and Ducati largely had no issues with riders line of sight. Once again, governmental bureaucracy is here to save us from ourselves...

Flyrider, I agree, the tinted windscreen really looks sharp on the GT. I followed your lead and purchased a tinted MRA Xcreen Sport which was a great aerodynamic addition for cruising above 70 mph. It's not perfect but it took some of the pressure off my head, greatly reducing rider fatigue. Not only that, I think it looks pretty good on the GT. Makes a small change to the appearance but seems to fit with the natural lines of the bike.

I did 500+ mile days and the GT did great in the mountains, Interstates, and gusty crosswinds 25 mph - 50 mph across the high country and West Texas. Strong performer with economy, performance, and rider protection. I think my 2005 1150RT would have been more comfortable, but the GT isn't supposed to be a 1:1 equal to the RT. But I can say with 100% certainty that I love the GT for touring.as well as flickable and solid maneuvering performance.

15. Likes IanA, flyrider liked this post

Real Name
    Tim
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petrified GT Small.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	437.4 KB 
ID:	373117

17. Likes flyrider liked this post

4 Minutes Ago
    I just fitted a Givi 5109st touring screen because I get tinnitus in my ears and reynauds in my thumbs. The Givi has deflectors which take the wind off my hands and is 7" or more higher than the useless original screen. Result: quiet, no buffeting and improved mpg (that last point was a bonus). Its weird to have the bike jump forward from 60 to 100 with no sensation other than the revs rising. Gets a 10 from me.