Bike seat padding and reupholstery - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    Due to butthurt on trips longer than 2 hours, I've decided to have some work done on my F800GT standard seat to make it softer and about 10mm higher.

This is likely to be adding foam to the rider seat and no change to the passenger seat. Then a new cover.

I had one place really close in mind, but when they saw the pics of the hump in the passenger seat, they decided it might be too hard. Have found another place to do the work, but they haven't mentioned the hump which makes me worried what they are going to do about it.

Looking for input on how repading and reupholstery has gone on your standard seat?

If it would be better to just put in more foam, or put in a gel pad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

8 Hours Ago
    Try using something like an Airhawk first, as that might give you some idea of what height is comfortable and the sort of padding you want.

With either option i think you'll still end up a bit saddle sore. More padding might help you last a bit longer, but ultimately if you're still sat in the same position it's only going to slightly delay the inevitable.

Thinking about your riding position, are your handlebars & fott rests in a comfortable position? Do you sit balanced and not have too much forward strain on your arms/lower back?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

4. Likes RidaMile liked this post

Real Name
    Lonnie
    4 Hours Ago
    i agree with trying something like an airhawk - i've never used one, but i've read lots of reviews that were mostly positive - many of them here - trying to sort ergonomics on a bike is not for the faint of heart - good luck !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    I've tried a folded up towel and came up with 5 layers of bath towel as a good height increase

There is a few things I'm not really happy with for the riding position. The footpegs are still too high and too far back for my liking - I have fitted a peg lowering kit but could do with more than that has provided. An increase in seat height should help with the pegs, even if they don't help with the forward-rear peg position.

The bars are a bit too low and not far enough back.

I was looking at a R1200RS before I bought the F800GT. The RS had an even more bent up riding position, so I did a bzzzzttt on that.

8 Hours Ago
    A you quite tall/long legged?

When you lower foot pegs you should also adjust the bars at the same time as it completely changes your body position/the ergonomics from the factory. Getting some bar risers/adjusters i think is the next logical step to see if this helps with your body position, and thus your seating position/posture.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

Real Name
    emlevy
    6 Hours Ago
    It’s so interesting how we each find comfort on these bikes. I’m 6’6” (1,98m) and am perfectly comfortable with the tall comfort seat. I haven’t changed the bars, windscreen or foot pegs and have no reason to do so. Longest day on this bike was 642 miles. It’s no RT, but perfectly comfy (for me) for long day trips.
    2012 BMW R1200R Classic | 2015 BMW R1200RT 

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
    I had one place really close in mind, but when they saw the pics of the hump in the passenger seat, they decided it might be too hard. Have found another place to do the work, but they haven't mentioned the hump which makes me worried what they are going to do about it.
    Are you the fellow that bought the GT used....and it came with an ST (hump) seat rather than the GT (no hump) seat?

Or are they referring to the back seat area being higher than the front seat?

1 Day Ago
    ^ I did get it used but I haven't mentioned the seat before. As far as I know it is a standard GT seat.

This is it

2 Hours Ago
    By all means get the seat re-trimmed to your specs. The trimmer will also likely be able to do some minor mods after your decent road test if required.

Like others, though, I'd suggest trying an AirHawk seat first*. Ive ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on them. They are 'adjustable' by in/deflating, removable, can fit on to other bikes and can even gather dust in the shed waiting for their next ride.

On long rides over 24 hours I almost always use an AirHawk. If I'm just commuting or scratching around with mates I leave it in the shed.

The 'medium cruiser' size fits the F800GT nicely.

Regardless of the seat, air cushion or bath towel duct taped to the existing seat, far and away the best thing to relieve the butthurt that you mention is plain old air. Just stand up on the pegs for a minute or so every now and then. That trick substitutes for the Harley straight kick and allows for your hips and knees to stretch out, shifts the weight for the shoulders and can even springboard you into doing other exercises on the bike while riding, rather than getting off the bike in a sore and twisted mess or even worse than that wasting time with the engine off 'having a break for a while'.

* it won't be a waste of money if it can ALSO be used on your new seat as required or on that 'next bike' in your list.

Real Name
    emlevy
    6 Hours Ago
    That looks like a low seat from an ST. The low seats are quite firm. I’ll bet you could find someone willing to trade you for their regular seat or even high seat.
    2012 BMW R1200R Classic | 2015 BMW R1200RT 

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Defo an ST seat. This is my GT with standard seat for comparisonClick image for larger version. 

Name:	sIMG_20201211_130100537.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	371577
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

1 Day Ago
    OK that is a bit of a surprise that I have a ST seat.

Here's a few more pics, is this definitely an ST seat?

1 Day Ago
    I think I have a 30 inch inside leg.

Based on those pics is it a standard ST seat or a low ST seat? I haven't measured it and it doesn't feel that low compared to other bikes I've had. Like I wrote above, trying riding around with 5 layers of towel on the seat was the right height so that is only about 10mm increase.

What is the comfort level of a standard GT seat like? What's the height of a standard GT seat like compared to the seat in my pics?

Have just checked eBay and there is a standard GT seat there now for GBP135. I could sell my current seat to get some of that back.
    Or an AirHawk/cushion/cover etc.
    Or have current seat reupholstered.

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Am positive its an ST seat, maybe have a look at the seats on s/h bikes for sale, on say autotrader/bikes, then you'll be sure

How it compares in height, cannot say. The manufacturers part number sticker is missing from the photo, that would confirm what you have. Think you need to physically see bikes side by side to compare (at dealer when we're all released)

Whatever it is, if your not happy with what you have, you want to do something to change it

Were it me, I'd start by changing for a proper GT seat, & go from there.
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

8 Hours Ago
    There's a part number under the rubber strap, check that on realoem.com and see what it says

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Well, mines a sticker, although no embossed numbers under the strap on mine

My Part No 52 53 8 528 620 Tracks to a GT seat on Realoem (hurray) Interestingly Realoem says that part also used on late ST's (from 01/2012)
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

20. Likes Oleran liked this post

1 Day Ago
    I checked the seat and there is no sticker.

There are numbers stamped on it, but they don't correspond to seat part numbers.
    Numbers are
    163609-10
    7 678600-07

It would be nice to know if I have a low or standard ST seat. That would help me figure out if I should buy the GT seat off eBay or get it reupholstered. Might be marginal benefit on buying the eBay GT seat if it is not also 10mm or so higher.

Real Name
    Randy
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    If you really want a comfortable bike seat, check this out: terryscustomseats.com
    I have no connection to the company,other than being a very satisfied customer.
    2010 F800ST 

8 Hours Ago
    I checked the seat and there is no sticker.

There are numbers stamped on it, but they don't correspond to seat part numbers.
    Numbers are
    163609-10
    7 678600-07

It would be nice to know if I have a low or standard ST seat. That would help me figure out if I should buy the GT seat off eBay or get it reupholstered. Might be marginal benefit on buying the eBay GT seat if it is not also 10mm or so higher.
    It looks to be a low seat as the hump is quite pronounced. So a standard seat is probably what you want to replace it and give you that extra height.

OEM part numbers for the seat are;

Bench seat, black

Part 52538554098 was found on the following vehicles:
    K71 (F 800 S, F 800 ST, F 800 GT)   (12/2004 — 07/2012)
    K73 (F 800 R)   (12/2005 — 09/2014)

Supersedes:
    52537697375 (01/01/2006 — 07/29/2014)

Real Name
    Nigel
    1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajaay View Post
    Well, mines a sticker, although no embossed numbers under the strap on mine

My Part No 52 53 8 528 620 Tracks to a GT seat on Realoem (hurray) Interestingly Realoem says that part also used on late ST's (from 01/2012)
    There's a number of different BMW seats that the original owner could have fitted when the bike was ordered. Lowest being extra low to extra high comfort with seat height looking to range from 770mm to 840mm. (Plenty on Google about this)

Bike could also be ordered with a lower overall height when new. (This was certainly an option when I was playing about on the BMW site prior to buying my latest F8GT.) Not too sure by how much and what was involved but I'm led to believe that with these bikes, the centre stand has to be removed. So if yours has no center stand it may be a factory lowered bike.

Mine came with the standard seat at 800mm which I've rarely used as I've also a BMW comfort seat at 820mm which works best for me.

Hope that you find this of some use.

Ride safely.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Biscuits:

The seat you have on your bike is definitely the "ST" style of seat....and not a standard issue "GT" seat. It also appears to be a "low" version with very thin padding.

What is your inseam (hope that is not too personal). I have a 30" inseam and a standard seat is fine for me......I cannot flat foot and my heels are about 1/2" above the ground. I don't however want a lower seat as the footpegs will feel too high if I lower my butt!

I would see if you can meet someone with a stock seat and take it for a test ride before you buy one. For me the stock GT seat was not ideal - it tended to push me forward into the fuel tank.....I had to keep sliding myself back into the seat as I rode. I got a Sargent seat and it fits better and is more comfortable - but it still has a slight tendency to want to move me forward.

I bought a used seat relatively cheaply and I have removed the cover. This summer I am going to start adding different foam and trimming it until I get a fit that I like - then take it to an upholstery shop to get a cover made.

Real Name
    Lonnie
    4 Hours Ago
    geez Biscuits, i think anything would be better than that piece of black plywood you've got calling itself a seat - i like my oem std height comfort seat that came with the bike - if i changed, i would go with the high comfort seat - but there are certainly a ton of options - good luck !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

1 Day Ago
    Well, there has been some movement on my seat

I bought a standard GT seat second hand off eBay. Arrived today, it is 14 day returns.

I would say it is marginally higher than the old ST seat, but not much. Maybe 5mm or so. It is softer, flatter and more comfortable. Overall it is an improvement, but I'm in two minds about it (since it 14 day returns). Is it better than just getting the old seat reupholstered, which is a similar overall price. Esp since I'd still like it a bit higher.

The other thing I have noticed is that on the GT seat there is large gap between the inner foam and the covering material. See the attached photo. My finger is pressing down about 20mm to close the air gap between the covering material and the foam underneath. Is this normal? I'm thinking that with the cover loose over the foam underneath, it might catch on my boot as I get on one day and rip. In comparison, the ST seat cover is touching the foam and there is no gap.

I was walking around a couple of days ago as saw a F800GT with what looks like a custom seat. Quite a good looking custom seat. The upholsterer seems to have stitched down the cover where it is loose over the foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
    If you really want a comfortable bike seat, check this out: terryscustomseats.com
    I have no connection to the company,other than being a very satisfied customer.
    If I was in the US (I should have moved there 20 years ago; all my hobbies are easier to do in the US) I would get it that done there. Works out too slow and costly with intnl shipping as I'm in Europe though.

1 Day Ago
    So as I wrote above, I've ditched the ST seat and I think the GT seat is a keeper, although it's still about 10mm too low. Will try a sheepskin cover then if that doesn't work I'll consider reupholstery again.

Would appreciate some feedback from other GT standard seat users if there is the gap between the foam and the cover as per my pic with the finger in the previous post?

I'm going to put the ST seat on eBay, I guess advertised as an ST seat rather than a GT seat.

03-25-21
    Motorcycle
    '12 Bonneville
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Hi Biscuits
    Yes there is a gap between the foam and cover at the point you mentioned. Eventually it lessens to a degree with sitting, but I don't know if it will ever be completely in contact.
    I would think that "your" seat has probably not been sat on much.
    I was concerned about this too when I collected my bike (new) but have had no problems with it over the last two years.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Hubert

30. Likes Biscuits liked this post

4 Weeks Ago
    Since we’re talking about seats, I’ll ask my question here too. I’m 6’ with a 32” inseam. When I bought my GT, it was used from a lady who had lowered pegs and the low seat. I like the lowered pegs but I’d like either the comfort seat or high comfort seat. But my question is regarding the back half for the passenger. Is there any difference there? The wife sometimes rides with me, not much but every once in a while. She says the current low seat slides her forward into me. So neither of us like the current seat. Are BMW comfort seats better at managing that? I realize a custom seat like from Terry’s could be ordered with a custom pillion portion too, but (to me) they look so, well ugly, taking away from the bike’s design flow. I know my butt is quite ugly too, but still... Any info/thoughts regarding the back half would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Geoff
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS

I was walking around a couple of days ago as saw a F800GT with what looks like a custom seat. Quite a good looking custom seat. The upholsterer seems to have stitched down the cover where it is loose over the foam.

This is definitely a BMW OEM Comfort Seat just like mine. I traded the Standard version for this seat (p/n 52 53 8 528 623) many years ago. It made a big difference for me.
    Sundog 

Real Name
    Carl
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '98 VFR800
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    I have had my second seat re-upholstered, I used a guy at Hinckley...very helpful, will add gel if required, re-shape foam to suit if wanted..proper customisation to suit yourself, I had "Gel" and he used layered different density foams, it makes a difference when touring
    I have included a couple of pictures and his web site

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	371719

http://www.cmseats.co.uk/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	884.4 KB 
ID:	371721   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seat2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	962.4 KB 
ID:	371723  
    Last edited by pigmy; 03-28-21 at 04:06 AM.

34. Likes MGD109 liked this post

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog52 View Post
    This is definitely a BMW OEM Comfort Seat just like mine. I traded the Standard version for this seat (p/n 52 53 8 528 623) many years ago. It made a big difference for me.
    + 1 OEM Comfort Seat.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Paul
    6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '66 T20SH
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800 GT
    I can confirm that the standard GT seat does have that horrible gap where the vinyl does not bed down onto the foam. I found this disappointing on a new bike but checked back at the dealers and "they are all like that sir" was the response. The vinyl is not very robust and in the end I got a Sergeant seat, much better quality and much more comfortable.

Real Name
    Adrian
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It's definitely a GT comfort seat as others have said. It will work nicely with an airhawk and/or sheepskin cover, I've used both separately and together! Very comfy, however, I've eventually invested in a OEM high comfort seat (after 4 years of ownership.... cannot rush these things ), but not ridden enough on this yet to comment on comfort. Reason for the change is that it saves me detaching the airhawk each time I stop, always anxious that it might go walkabout! Will see if I can post a photo of the high comfort, gives a seat height of @ 840mm, but I also have lower pegs and bar risers

Real Name
    Adrian
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Took a while to take a photo, here is the high comfort seat, has a ‘hump’ at the front! Still bedding mine in, only 150 miles so far

2 Days Ago
    I'm UK southwest based. My F800 GT 2014 has the taller OEM BMW comfort seat.
    I would like a BMW lower seat as I'm a bit tippy toes at the lights.
    I would trade mine for a lower unit.

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldyone Kenobi View Post
    I'm UK southwest based. My F800 GT 2014 has the taller OEM BMW comfort seat.
    I would like a BMW lower seat as I'm a bit tippy toes at the lights.
    I would trade mine for a lower unit.
    How South West are you? Somerset/Devon/Dorset/Cornwall etc

2 Days Ago
    Cornwall

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldyone Kenobi View Post
    Cornwall
    Ah that's a shame, if you were closer to me I would have let you see if my seat was an improvement before you committed to anything