F800GT Garmin Zumo 396 & CTEK Charger - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    martin rawson
    04-06-21
    Just re-joined after purchasing a very low miles 2017 F800GT.

Can I power up my Zumo Cradle using the standard Garmin power lead connected via ring terminals to the battery or do I have to go through a switched supply or the accessory socket.
    Can I connect the CTEK XS 0.8 charger via plug/leads direct to the battery or do I have to go through the accessory socket.
    Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Days Ago
    I wouldn't power direct from the battery due to the possibility of current leakage which will drain the battery. There is a switched power supply right next to the battery. You need an adapter socket from BMW (cheap; I forget the part number but could dig it up if you need it)

Real Name
    Adrian
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
    I wouldn't power direct from the battery due to the possibility of current leakage which will drain the battery. There is a switched power supply right next to the battery. You need an adapter socket from BMW (cheap; I forget the part number but could dig it up if you need it)
    Not as cheap as it should be, best price I've found is £12 + post from Motorworks, bought one of these yesterday, arriving tomorrow to fit my Garmin. However, for the past 4 years have had a different Garmin wired direct to the battery using an Optimate connector so I could disconnected when needed and also use it with the Optimate

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    martin rawson
    04-06-21
    Surely it will only draw current if the Sat Nav is connected and the terminals in the dock are covered with a cap when not in use.

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    On previous bikes I've connected the Zumo direct to battery - no drainage issues at all. Just remember to switch off or remove the Zumo when you leave the bike
    (Definitely remove Zumo when parked in open space, as holder not secure)
    Ajay

F800GT 2018†

Real Name
    Dave
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Yes you can connect the charger direct to the batter. See BUT below...
    Would advise using the BMW gps adapter plug.
    If not used by the previous owner its taped to the battery positive lead down the side of the battey.
    A matching connector to attach to the gps power leads is available from Nippy Normans.
    Now the BUT
    If you disconect the battery leads on the 2016 GT the date and time will reset and the service indicator will be displayed on the speedo. You can reset the time but not date or service.
    To do that you need Motoscan (€100) or GS911 (€/$/£ 300 +)
    Or... when removing the battery bolts hold the existing wire tags in place against the battery.
    Or... connect to the starter relay terminals (under left half of faux tank.
    Or... use an Optimate BMW can-bus adapter charger plugged in the accessory socket.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK†

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogbody View Post
    If not used by the previous owner its taped to the battery positive lead down the side of the battey.
    A matching connector to attach to the gps power leads is available from Nippy Normans.
    Now the BUT
    If you disconect the battery leads on the 2016 GT the date and time will reset and the service indicator will be displayed on the speedo. You can reset the time but not date or service.
    To do that you need Motoscan (€100) or GS911 (€/$/£ 300 +)
    Or... when removing the battery bolts hold the existing wire tags in place against the battery.
    Or... connect to the starter relay terminals (under left half of faux tank.
    Or... use an Optimate BMW can-bus adapter charger plugged in the accessory socket.
    Not so on my 18 GT. Battery disconnected to fit heated jacket lead, Service indicator unchanged. You do have to reset the clock & you lose any trip milages you have set.

Maybe they changed it for the post 17 models?
    Ajay

F800GT 2018†

Real Name
    martin rawson
    04-06-21
    Thanks for the input, I've decided purchase the canbus mottorad charger for £70 off flea bay, I have other vehicles which the CTEK can be used on. I've gone for the Nippy Normans connector and go for the switch feed for the Zumo. Thanks

11. Likes Bogbody liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Does anyone know if you can use that spare auxiliary GPS plug with both running lights and a GPS Zumo 396,,. I've had LED auxiliary run lights running off of it for a couple of seasons with no issues so would teeing off a line to a GPS be enough to over load it, or cause issues?

Real Name
    Dave
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    The accessory socket is rated to supply 5A - allow about 1A or so for the satnav and you have a couple of amps to play with.
    Don't use all the "5A" as the socket will switch off. I suspect 3A or 4A is a practical maximum.
    I think you would be better off using the GPS aux to operate a relay connected to the battery. I now have (see below) a fused 7.5A feed to power the tank bag contents.

See post number 3 here
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...ntre-Bar-Mount

And post 4 here for my wiring
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...-charger-setup

When sorting out my bike GPS etc I found that the available 5A would be overloaded by the gopro camera, plus (new) phone and intercom control unit (Senna SR10) as every thing switched on the aux socket would switch off and shut everything connected off - which would then turn on, overload, shut off and carry on for ever. Other than not charging the new phone (it took a lot of current when first charging) a proper cure was a separate power feed for the tank bag controlled by the GPS connector.

14. Likes Lag liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Thanks Dave, will check the rating for the lights,,. As you say the GPS is 1A or less,,. If I understand you correctly is that the risk of an overload, (plus 5 amps) is it doesn't reset after switch off overload?

Real Name
    Dave
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    It does reset after a second or so. But, if the overload is still present it switches off again. This continues until the overload current is reduced below 5A

17. Likes Lag liked this post

Real Name
    Carl
    19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '98 VFR800
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...=fz1+fuzeblock
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...er-to-Tank-bag

I used this method on both of the F800's I have owned..works well
    Have alook at my posts as have added and modified it slightly to add further accessories and power for the tank bag etc
    I have since modified the BMW mount and CNC'd a replacement block (plastic BMW part) that carries the 4 little rods under the SatNav bracket with a 7075 T6 Aluminium one that is stronger and does not move like the BMW unit, plastic is not rigid enough to clamp on the cross bar ot the BMW unit, the only disadvantage is mine you need a Torx key to adjust the position...the disadvantages far outweigh the easier adjustment of the BMW one ...for me, anyway.

Can post some pictures if required?

Real Name
    Phil
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajaay View Post
    Not so on my 18 GT. Battery disconnected to fit heated jacket lead, Service indicator unchanged. You do have to reset the clock & you lose any trip milages you have set.

Maybe they changed it for the post 17 models?
    Yep, same for my 2019 model. Only the clock was affected.

Direct to the battery if that suits you.
    I would highly recommend a Fuzeblock in the future if you can afford it. Excellent piece of kit that let's you add up to 6 accessories without confusing the Canbus system.

Real Name
    Geoff
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I hooked mine "straight to the battery", I put that in quotes because I did add a 1A inline fuse (might have been 2A, it's whatever was slightly bigger than the current rating that was on the box or back of the device). I didn't like that the charging terminals are exposed to the elements when the module is not in the cradle. I know, it comes with a rubber cover the flips and covers it... but that requires remembering to flip it which I never do. If there is a short for any reason, it will pop the fuse.

The inline fuses are Amzn product number B07RY8Y2QV, just put that in the search bar.

One caveat though, you do need to remember to turn off the GPS, or power it down (not put it to sleep). I always take mine off when I turn the bike off so no issues for me.

Real Name
    martin rawson
    04-06-21
    Hi Guys, thanks for the info you have provided. I will consider Fuzeblock if I add anything more that the SatNav which currently is fed by the switched plug next to battery. I have used older technology fuse boards with LED's on my classic Triumphs when I've rewired and upgraded, using relays and original switches now 45+ years old. But smart canbus electrics worried me. Thanks again for all the help.

4 Days Ago
    FYI, I bought one of these which is half the price of a Fuzeblock, but does the same thing. i.e. you connect it direct to the battery for power but you connect the switched side to the switch supply from next to the battery. Works. The only downside is that the neutral terminal is nowhere near big enough to jam all the wires in. There are 5 positive terminals and only one neutral terminal the same size as the positive. You won't be jamming 5 wires in that hole.
    https://www.nippynormans.com/f800r-f...r-outlet-5-way

You could also wire up your own relay which would be considerably cheaper but a bit more messy.

Either way, if you use this switched source to trigger a relay inside a Fuzeblock or a homemade box, you don't have to mess with Canbus.

Real Name
    Tim
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogbody View Post
    Good day,

I'm attempting to install / wire the exact same GPS on my 2016 800GT.

Over the weekend I took off the top and right side fairing panels and this is what I saw.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	IMG-0227.jpg†
Views:	45†
Size:	1.60 MB†
ID:	371751

Name:	IMG-0228.jpg†
Size:	1.32 MB†
ID:	371753

Name:	IMG-0237.jpg†
Views:	47†
Size:	1.22 MB†
ID:	371755

I don't think I have the BMW GPS adapter plug, but I thought I'd double check with the folks more experienced than I.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best Regards,

Tim

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Cannot advise base on your close ups

This library picture similar to my 18 GT, the female adapter plug (missing) fits in the clip seen. If you have that you need the male plug https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...BA_15_70_IA_75 Wiring repair kit 3 pin plug | ELA13585 (Assume that are US suppliers for this item)

Of course the earlier GT might be different?

Name:	s14298331919_2f05f2e33c_z.jpg†
Views:	39†
Size:	109.9 KB†
ID:	371757
    Ajay

F800GT 2018†

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Good day,

I'm attempting to install / wire the exact same GPS on my 2016 800GT.

Over the weekend I took off the top and right side fairing panels and this is what I saw.

Name:	IMG-0227.jpg†
Size:	1.60 MB†
ID:	371751

Name:	IMG-0228.jpg†
Size:	1.32 MB†
ID:	371753

Name:	IMG-0237.jpg†
Views:	47†
Size:	1.22 MB†
ID:	371755

I don't think I have the BMW GPS adapter plug, but I thought I'd double check with the folks more experienced than I.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best Regards,

Tim
    Yes you do have the connector / adaptor! In all 3 pictures you can see a small black item just below the red sleeving on battery cable ---- that is the item! It is attached to the battery cable by that narrow black tape. Carefully cut away the tape and pull the connector and its wires free. Then pull off the black protective cap to reveal the 3 pin connector. Then you need to buy the BMW lead with mating connector mentioned in other replies.

Real Name
    Tim
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Yes you do have the connector / adaptor! In all 3 pictures you can see a small black item just below the red sleeving on battery cable ---- that is the item! It is attached to the battery cable by that narrow black tape. Carefully cut away the tape and pull the connector and its wires free. Then pull off the black protective cap to reveal the 3 pin connector. Then you need to buy the BMW lead with mating connector mentioned in other replies.
    Thank you Chris! Much appreciated!!

Real Name
    Tim
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    Greetings all,

I picked up the GPS adapter / connector from the local BMW shop this afternoon. It took nearly a month to get.

Please see the attached photos and provide any insight if my electrical logic is sound.

Using this basic layout I intend to:

Name:	GPS Wiring 1.jpg†
Views:	38†
Size:	1.47 MB†
ID:	372331

1. Plug the white end of the BMW Connector into the Accessory Plug located next to the battery
    2. Remove the black end of the BMW Connector as my Garmin power cord only has a red wire and a black wire

Name:	GPS Wiring 2.jpg†
Views:	33†
Size:	1.10 MB†
ID:	372333

My question is that the BMW connector has 3 wires and Garmin only has 2 wires. Can I simply terminate / not connect one of the BMW wires (I'm guessing the Red & Yellow) and only connect the BMW Black to Garmin Black and the BMW Red & White to the Garmin Red?

Any advice is hugely welcome as I launch on my trip Saturday morning.

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Hi Tim, cannot advise on your BMW connector, other than to confirm that one wire is redundant, don't know which though.

I used an aftermarket connector, came with 3 wires with clear instruction which not to use. Maybe a call to your BMW workshop, hopefully they will advise as they must fit these regularly.

My Connector:: ... Commonly used to power non BMW GPS (sat nav) from power supply on harness. Simply attach to wires on power lead supplied with GPS and plug in! Use leads 1 (earth) and 3 (power) and ignore lead 2 (speed pulse not required for non BMW systems) - leads are numbered.

NB DO NOT experiment until you have the answer. Connecting incorrectly may destroy your GPS
    Ajay

F800GT 2018†

Real Name
    Tim
    17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    Thank you Ajaay,

Hugely appreciated. I have it wired successfully and now to get a little shut eye before launching out in the morning.

Safe riding all.

Tim