New member - STS Smart Brake Module install - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

4 Days Ago
    New member and new owner of a (new to me F700GS). I recently installed STS' Smart Brake Module, it turns brake lights on (solid or flashing) when rolling off the throttle. Deceleration is enough, actual braking is not needed to turn the brake light on. The purpose is to alert following traffic when decelerating.

Anyway, I thought I might be able to save someone a lot of wiring trouble if I post here that the manual, that comes with the module, is not correct for BMW. At least not for my 2013 F700GS.

STS Manual
    Power: Grey/Red
    Signal: Grey/Black
    Ground: Brown

Actual for 2013 F700 GS
    (Ignition) Power: Blue/Grey with Yellow dots
    Brake light: Gray/Black Yellow (the yellow dots don't show in the photo)
    Ground: They got that right

Apologies in advance if I should have posted i the wrong spot. Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STS wiring.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	438.4 KB 
ID:	371633  

2. Thanks Runmyownlife thanked for this post
    Likes IanA liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Been thinking about that unit. Thanks

4 Days Ago
    Something else to think about. I have been on a group ride a few weeks ago and the guy driving behind me stated that I presented quite the light show. We rode a very tight, curvy route, and my rear light was either on solid, or blinking due to roll-off, pretty much the entire time. I'll add a switch to my dash, so I can turn the module off during group rides or in the twisties and back on during city or hwy travel.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    1 Minute Ago
    Dagger. I had the same experience. Fellow riders found my constantly "on/off" light was driving them nuts. I put a switch in the line that actually sends the signal to the brake light, rather than switching off the power to the module (this way the module stays live, only the signal doesn't reach the brake light). Mounted the switch so I can use it while riding. I leave it on when on heavily trafficked roads, particularly freeways/motorways where I'm often decelerating without using the brakes, switch it off when on twisty roads or riding with friends. One other thing I did do though, was put a small LED warning light (connected to the brake light) on the dash. This does two things. Lets me know it's working as it should, and whether I've switched the module on or off. I mounted the LED slightly out of my line of sight so it didn't annoy the s**t out of me either.

4 Days Ago
    I like that idea better than mine, Redned. Switch the signal wire. I have got a switch that lights up in ON position. That should do. Cheers.