OBDII diagnostics - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Mike K
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Greetings. In preparation - I would like to purchase the proper reader and cables needed to read and reset the ECU codes on my 2013 BMW F800GS. There are so many options that I'm getting lost as to what to get. Bluetooth/ WIFI/ etc. And what exact cable do I need.....

I really love the idea of going deep and having data available in real time about the bike while riding.

I'm also wondering if there's any software like Motoscan that's available for the PC.

Your help most appreciated. I have looked at and read many posts on this topic, and the more I read the more confused I get.

Thanks. All part of the learning curve. And I don't even have my bike yet.....few more weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    For the PC you want the GS911, it'll run on a phone app too, Motoscan is phone only. I have them both and prefer the GS911, probably because I've been using it longer and am more comfortable with it. I really like the data logging features when it comes to troubleshooting issues. Added bonus of Motoscan, you can use the same OBD2 reader on most cars too. Either way your bike has the older 10 pin round connector, get a reader that is the newer OBD2 connection and use an adapter. It'll be easier to live with on future bikes.

Real Name
    Mike K
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    For the PC you want the GS911, it'll run on a phone app too, Motoscan is phone only. I have them both and prefer the GS911, probably because I've been using it longer and am more comfortable with it. I really like the data logging features when it comes to troubleshooting issues. Added bonus of Motoscan, you can use the same OBD2 reader on most cars too. Either way your bike has the older 10 pin round connector, get a reader that is the newer OBD2 connection and use an adapter. It'll be easier to live with on future bikes.
    Reading the GS911 site and its pretty confusing. From what I can gather, the only difference between enthusiast and pro is the number of bikes that it can work on. Enthusiast has 10 VINs that can be registered, but the license can be upgraded. Except for the USB wifi version....And its dammed expensive. Looking used, but there is not a lot out there at the moment. Thanks for the post.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Pro is only needed if you're running an independent shop and need to work on multiple bikes. Enthusiast is the way to go if it's just for yourself. For that matter, it's not uncommon for few friends to go in on a unit together, split the cost and you each get a VIN slot. As for the price, don't forget that you are on a BMW. Pretty sure it's not affordability that attracts us to the brand.

Real Name
    Jim
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Regarding the GS-911 check for sales at https://www.beemershop.com and on the HexCode website.
    I've seen sales as much as 20% - 30% off..................
    Blue 2009 F650GS - H-B crash bars, TT luggage rack, Pelican top case, BMW Vario Panniers & bash plate, 20mm handlebar risers, LED voltmeter, Sargent seat, MudSling, a few other trinkets ... I may be just about at the end of the farkle train  

Real Name
    Mike K
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwooden View Post
    Regarding the GS-911 check for sales at https://www.beemershop.com and on the HexCode website.
    I've seen sales as much as 20% - 30% off..................
    Thanks. I'll keep looking. Great deal used on-line, but the guy won't ship. Not in a rush - wait for a deal.

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    21 Minutes Ago
    KRTW. I have both the GS-911 (the bluetooth only model) and Motoscan. I find the GS-911 more comprehensive to use, however the phone app only allows one to check for faults, not clear them (nor can you change any settings like time, date, remove service reminder etc).To do that I need to connect the GS-911 to my PC via USB cable. The Motoscan app and OBD11 reader does allow one to do all those things via the phone app. So, I use the GS-911 when at home. I carry an OBD11 reader and adapter cable in my top box when doing longer rides/tours. Handy to be able to check things out on the road should one have problems. Hope this helps.

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Maybe it's because you have an older version of the GS911, but the current version is fully supported on the phone. If you can do it on the PC you can do it on the phone too. Come to think of it, it's better supported on the phone, they have added updates for new bike to the web based app (phone) that are not on the PC version.

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    21 Minutes Ago
    rcb78. yep it is an old version ( I've had it for some years) and am aware that more up to date models have many more options.