How many miles is too much? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

04-03-21
    Please bear with me as I give a little background first...I've owned a 2015 F800R for the past 2 years and love it. However, I live in Los Angeles and find that most of my commuting is via the freeway, and I'm starting to take long road trips with a buddy. (he rides a R1200RT) I started looking at the GT, because it seemed a good choice for more "touring" capability while still enjoying the things I like about my R.

On to my question...I'm finding that most of what's available for sale out here are 2013 models with higher mileage on them. The F800R is the first BMW I've owned and I've only got about 14k miles on it. I know a lot will depend on the care given to it, but is this a bike that I can expect to still perform well upwards of 25-30k miles?

Thanks for your input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    2 Hours Ago
    Properly maintained and cared for, I would expect an F800 model to go over 100K miles without much in the way of problems.

My son-in-law has my old 1986 Honda VFR700FII and it has 125K miles on the clock. The engine runs great but it has had its share of electrical issues. My daughter's 1981 R65LS has something like 110K miles on it and still is hanging in there, with just a clutch replacement and repair of a leaking push rod seal.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    emlevy
    4 Hours Ago
    100k miles on a modern engine is really no big deal. Check the maintenance records on the GT and you should have confidence that it will be fine.
    2012 BMW R1200R Classic | 2015 BMW R1200RT 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

You need to look into the guy that has over 800,000 kms on his F800GS.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    A bike is like your body...treat it well, and you get a lot of years. Beat it up, you may be terminal at 40. If the bike you want has a good pedigree, go for it.

My problem is...I don't trust anything used. But ask Daboo, he'll tell you about his good fortune with the GT he bought used.

I have over 50,000 miles on mine and it runs like a top. It's strange how we buy a bike with the intention of putting a lot of miles on it, but we don't want to buy a bike were the first owner put more than a couple thousand miles on it. It is like we think it'll break.

If the bike is working great when you check it out, then it'll probably run great like that for years.

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    100k plus miles on a well maintained engine no problem. Expect running gear to be a little tired at high mileage - suspension/shocks, wheel bearings etc
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

10. Likes Richard230, Sundog52 liked this post

Real Name
    James Sadilek
    1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '72 R60/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelicone View Post
    I'm finding that most of what's available for sale out here are 2013 models with higher mileage on them...
    Perhaps you are not looking in the best place for low mileage used GTs. I have a search on Cycle Trader set up specifically to find GTs, which is how I found mine. Cycle Trader is showing 14 GTs from 2013 to 2016. Eight have fewer than 10K miles. Two are below 5K miles. All of these are from dealerships. Surely, if you changed the filters to show private owner bikes, you would find many more.

On Craig's List, a San Francisco dealer is selling a '13 GT with 1988 on the odometer. It has bags and a top box (BMW) for $6299.

James Sadilek -- ccwatchmaker
    In the garage: 1972 BMW R60/5 - 1983 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim - 2014 F800 GT

04-03-21
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    I have over 50,000 miles on mine and it runs like a top. It's strange how we buy a bike with the intention of putting a lot of miles on it, but we don't want to buy a bike were the first owner put more than a couple thousand miles on it. It is like we think it'll break.

If the bike is working great when you check it out, then it'll probably run great like that for years.
    Good point. Never thought about it that way. If it's been serviced properly and runs well then no reason to think it won't keep on performing.

Thanks for the input.

04-03-21
    Sounds like I need to expand my search. Much appreciated.

Real Name
    Tim
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '05 R1150RT
    I concur with ccwatchmaker, 110%.

I set up a nationwide search on Cycle Trader and found many that would've fit my spec list. But I held out for "just the right" bike and I found it listed by a dealer in OH. The price was right, the bike was perfect and I paid to have it shipped down to me. It's been truly great.

15. Likes Richard230, IanA liked this post

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    Like most of you all I'm wary of bikes with higher mileage. I traded my bike at 32,000 last September.

Why did I trade? Coming from a super sport bike with more power and less weight I was always frustrated with the power of the GT. No it is not bad and goes nicely it was just frustrating to me. My Kawasaki ZX6R 636 has an explosive rush to the redline from 8,000 to 16,000 RPM in 1st, 2ne and 3rd. F800GT was not bad but I really missed the ZX6R. I found the handling to be similar, ride was plush by comparison! Dropping into a corner and transitioning from side to side was great on the F800GT and well ridden (as Daboo can attest) it will keep up with bikes with a lot more power. I traded for a 2020 Tracer GT which is something between the F800GT and the ZX6R - I love the engine note.

The F800GT is a very solid middle weight sport touring bike. We rode thru some incredible country together and thru some thoroughly nasty weather as well. Hot weather from 106F down to 34F and rain! Always surefooted, never broke the rear wheel loose - I never tried in the wet and it was rock solid in the dry. We rode pavement but sometimes that pavement was being worked on so it saw fresh chip tar with an extra inch of chips, a town is South Dakota where they were resurfacing the streets but it rained before they got the pavement down so how about a wet gravel street for a few miles and thru the several inch deep water at an intersection. In South Dakota last June we found a stretch of road without pavement, just dirt! The soft sandy fertile dirt! OK where it was damp but hit one stretch where it was not! I still don't know how I made it without dropping the bike but i did!!!! I even rode it a few miles down a gravel road in Idaho and a dirt road in South Dakota!

Maintenance, I always had the service done on time and by the dealer. Other than a couple of notable lapses it was good. They put whatever oil they used (BMW Semi synthetic?) in it and I never worried about it. Everything worked as it should have, neutral was always hard to find with the engine running, particularly so when the engine was hot and had fresh oil in it. At the last service they mentioned the water pump was weeping and the thought the clutch needed looking at due to the neutral being hard to get after their test ride. LOL that was something I had mentioned several times but they did not say anything until it was out of warranty. The tech spent extra time adjusting the clutch and finding neutral was no issue at all after that (it broke 1,100 miles later and I traded 300 miles after that). IMO the neutral issue was an adjustment issue. I carefully watched the weeping and it did not weep more than one or maybe two drops in 1,100 miles.

So my bike had 32,000 miles on it has all the service records. I must say that it's 32,000 miles is nothing like some bikes with 32,000 miles. I put 26,000 miles on it in 26 months and most of those were on long trips. It did not see that many local rides and most of the miles were on the road in 6th gear. Open road miles are easy miles relative to short trips where there is more accleration, braking and shifting. I know the original owner and he put the first 4,700 miles on the bike in less than a year and traded for a 1200GS. He wanted a boxer but bought the F800G to get back into riding before leaping onto a 1200GS. He now rides a 1250RS. For touring I would load the sidecases and tank bag and put a 58 liter waterproof bag on the rear seat. I dialed up the rear preload and away we went. Saw lots of fun roads and the bike did a great job, the sidecases never leaked. The lids and straps were amazing! Nothing ever fell out until it was raining - must have wet ground detection system. Last I looked the bike was still showing on Vern Eide in Sioux Falls SD website.

Sorry for the longwinded response, trying to tell you what I would want to hear about a higher mileage bike. At the right price I wold buy one with 6 or 7 thousand miles but one with a lot of miles may not be bad if you can find out the history. Know who owned it, how they rode it and why they traded it. I was planning on trading my F800GT when I returned from that trip but when it broke I found a bike I wanted in Sioux Falls so fixed the F800GT rode iup and traded - trip was messed up so I turned it into an adventure. BTW my old bike has a long lasting low beam bulb installed so it will be a while before that needs to be changed

17. Likes Swamp Fox, Ajaay, Richard230, IanA liked this post

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Nice review PhotoAl. Of course had to have a look at Vern Eide site. Your bike looking good.
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Just turned over 66,000 miles on my 2014 GT. It runs like a top. It smoothed out noticeably at 30,000 miles and still is very smooth. It never was that bad regarding vibration, but it actually got better at that point.

I replaced the belt at @53,000 miles. Obviously, YMMV. I purchased a new belt at around 24,000 and just kept it in the garage till needed, and inspected the belt prior to trips out of the area.

The rest of the maintenance has just been tires, brakes, oil and the TPMS sensors. They were about $30 each and the tools to make the onboard computer read them were about the same or less.

Some day I'll sell it. And when I do, it'll have a lot of miles on it. Some will walk away from the bike after just looking at the odometer. Others will be smart and look at the bike itself, and get a good bike.

Another source besides Cycle Trader, is SearchTempest.com. You enter what you're looking for, the zip code for the area and it'll check all the Craigslist ads in that area in seconds.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

20. Likes PhotoAl liked this post

7 Hours Ago
    My first ST, i bought 2nd hand with about 20k on the clock. I soon racked it up to 50K and sold it about 3 years later. My current ST I bought with 37k on the clock and 2 years later it's up to nearly 55K. My riding is a good mix of commuting, weekend rides & trips away. So it is well used and maintained with essentially no expense spared.
    Normal servicing;
    Air filter & spark plugs every 18K (early than recommended)
    Oil & filter every 5k (early than recommended) and this is usually twice a year

In the last 12 months i've also changed;
    Coolant
    Front discs & pads + brake fluid
    Read discs & Pads + brake fluid
    Headstock bearings
    Front wheel bearings
    New Rear shock
    New drive belt
    And of course multiple tyre changes

How well a bike has been looked after and serviced is the difference between a proven reliable bike, and one that isn't. To me a low mileage bike means it has been underused and components are more likely to fail when they've not had regular use, and not been changed/serviced on a regular basis.
    The way i like to think of it is if you rely on something as your transport you need it to be reliable. Which means you'll service and fix things as soon as they come around. If you don't use it regular and you can take it/leave it when a service is due, or something breaks it's more likely to be neglected.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

22. Likes Runmyownlife, PhotoAl liked this post

Real Name
    Nigel
    1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    The way i like to think of it is if you rely on something as your transport you need it to be reliable. Which means you'll service and fix things as soon as they come around...
    Totally agree and sound advice. Up until the last 12 months if she didn't run then I didn't earn so good regular maintenance is essential, and if done competently, high mileage wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing

Check out the owner as well as the bike. Self service is not necessary a bad thing but depends on their actual level competence as opposed to assumed level. Normally easy to spot, for example doubling the life expectancy of a consumable compared to manufactures recommended change interval because they think they know better would not be a good sign.

Ride safely.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

24. Likes Runmyownlife, DJ123, PhotoAl liked this post

04-03-21
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Another source besides Cycle Trader, is SearchTempest.com. You enter what you're looking for, the zip code for the area and it'll check all the Craigslist ads in that area in seconds.

Chris
    I’ll definitely check this out. Thank you for the sound advice.

I really appreciate everyone’s input. All great points and very helpful. Looking forward to posting on this forum with my new bike once I find the right one.

Cheers!

26. Likes PhotoAl, Richard230 liked this post

04-06-21
    you can do it without problems!

3 Weeks Ago
    "is this a bike that I can expect to still perform well upwards of 25-30k miles?" .... try 100,000 plus well maintained.

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I am a Moderator on the Suzuki Savage forum. We have a lot of members who are new riders.....and a lot of old riders who have downsized and want a motorcycle that is lightweight and easy to ride.

Since the Suzuki Savage is low powered, cheap and easy to ride - there are lot of first time owners who don't know how to ride or maintain a motorcycle. The forum has a lot of low mileage bikes with mechanical problems from abuse - or just being stored improperly. I repaired one bike with 3,000 miles on it that needed a new cam and rockers as a result of the owner using an oil with a low ZDDP content. Poorly maintained or neglected motorcycles don't hold up very well.

But.........we have one rider in Texas who property maintains his Savage and he currently has 212,000 miles on it. He rebuilt the motor at 155,000 miles as it was starting to use oil, and the only mechanical parts that were out of spec was the exhaust valve guides. I rode with him last week around the Texas Hill Country and he added another 1,200 miles on his bike over the 4 days we rode together. We have several other senior members with 60,000 miles on their bikes that take them on multi-state rides regularly and consider them to be "just broken in"!

If you are a rider that uses his bike to commute or for touring, and you ride regularly and need a set of tires on a regular basis and do maintenance - I believe you can easily get 100,000 miles or more on your motorcycle. If you only go on short rides to the local bar, bike night or ride around the block - you will likely never be able to get a lot of miles on the bike before age starts to take a toll on the bike. Rubber and plastic parts have a finite life, and the seals, hoses and bodywork will start to deteriorate before the mechanical parts are worn........and I don't know how reliable the electronic sensors and computers are as the years pass by.

56 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    I am a Moderator on the Suzuki Savage forum.
    Verslagen for the win!!

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Verslagen for the win!!
    Yep......Verslagen is a winner., and so is Serowbot.

I am the other guy........Dave.

56 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    Yep......Verslagen is a winner., and so is Serowbot.

I am the other guy........Dave.

I didn't spend much time on that site, but my wife used to have a '96 Savage. Thanks to the lurking I did, I knew to check the cam tensioner when I was replacing the neutral switch and sure enough it was near end of life. Ridiculous considering the low mileage (just over 10k) but an easy enough fix with his modified tensioner. Fixing the oil plug leak in the cam box was also much easier with the write up and pics I found there, I never actually pulled out the service manual I have for it