New Vancouver Canada F800GS Owner Checking In - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Days Ago
    Hi All,

I'm new to the BMW world, but joining a few forums, and looking to meet new riding buddies and learn more about my new bike. I've just bought a 2017 F800GS, which I hope is in good shape. I was on a 2017 Suzuki V-Strom 650 previously. That was a great bike, but I wanted something of similar size and weight with more off-road capability, primarily in the suspension and ground clearance areas. Still, I gave up a supremely reliable bike, with a 5 year warranty; no moving parts and you can fix it with a hammer. Am I an idiot to buy a Bimmer?

So far, the BMW is clearly put together with higher quality parts; fasteners and panels are just better. Other components are similarly higher spec. But we'll see how things settle out.

I'm 62 (and not happy about it), I gave up work, and have no regrets about that. I have the BMW and a 2018 Vespa GTS 300. I like to cook, and drink wine, and I'm a bit of a hi fi geek- my stereo cost way more than the bike. We love travel and have a house in Italy, and go there as often as we can. Originally from California, I've been in Canada since 1971. My background is half Italian, half Dutch-English, so a bit of a mongrel overall.

I am the nicest, kindest, smartest, best-looking, most modest guy I know. Still I'd love to meet the riders and I will admit that I need all the help I can get. Seriously, I'm scared and thrilled with the F8GS. So, all assistance and guidance and help will be gratefully received. Even after April 1st.

Cheers all.

2. Likes Richard230, TheMeteor, IanA, Runmyownlife liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Lyle
    23 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Welcome Damon, nice to hear from you,,. I'm from the Vancouver area as well so I know weave been waiting for some better weather which should be just around the corner,,.
    You will love the 800GS,,,,Ive had a 2015 700GS going on three years and yet to have a mechanical problem at 45,000 KM's,. Sometimes the warning resets can be a bit annoying as you need the dealer to do the resets or you have to tool up with some BMW exclusive gadgetry, outside of that I'm been pretty happy,,.

I'm Hoping to get on the road this coming weekend with a few nice (not perfect) days on the way, I plan to do a fair bit of exploring BC again this year with the boarder likely still closed for the foreseeable future,,.

Real Name
    Richard
    10 Hours Ago
    Welcome, Damon. I am sure that you will have fun riding your F800GS. 2017 was a good year for those bikes. I also think you will enjoy visiting this forum now and then when you are not out riding. Be sure to keep on checking in and let us know if you have any problems with or questions about your bike, or have any interesting experiences while riding it.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Days Ago
    Damon, welcome to the group and best of luck with the new GS. I've been tempted to go a little more dual purpose myself. I'm hoping for a trip across the border soon. The Merritt, New Denver and Kaslo loop is some of my favorite riding and never gets old.

Real Name
    Gerry
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Welcome, Damon and a great intro. Enjoy the bike and I hope to hear about your experiences.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

2 Days Ago
    Hi All,

I've met Lyle and we're already been out weaving through the countryside around Vancouver. I'll add a pic of me and the new bike. It's my current 'Hi, this is me and the bike' pic. Seriously, it looks just me, except I'm not so old or fat. I have all the Vario cases, but they weigh a ton, so I'll leave them off unless I'm buying more than a case of wine at a time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8249.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	421.5 KB 
ID:	371831
    Damon, Vancouver Canada. 2018 Vespa GTS 300 

10. Likes Richard230, 308bever liked this post

Real Name
    Phil
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Nice-looking bike. Dodgy-looking Italian/Dutch bloke.
    I ride a Kawasaki as well as an F8GT. The Bimmer build quality is superior. However, the Kawa has been rock solid reliable for nearly 50K miles. I'm hoping the GT proves as reliable. Early days yet.

12. Likes Damon liked this post

2 Days Ago
    @Dalesman,

So far the F8GS is fun. A bit agricultural on the motor side, but I don't care about that. My Suzuki came with a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty, and I was never likely to need it. Still, I could see immediately that the general level of design and quality of fasteners and plastics and welds on the BMW is better. Clearly better overall. My hope is that the bugs and oopsies will have been worked out for the last model year. I had it checked over and serviced at the dealer this past Tuesday: a clean bill of health, and it cost LESS than the same service on the 'suki. I didn't see that coming, I can tell you.
    Damon, Vancouver Canada. 2018 Vespa GTS 300