Bar adjustment wonders - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Lonnie
    2 Hours Ago
    unlike many GT owners, i want less rise, not more - maybe it's my ape length arms - or maybe years of riding with my chest on the tank - who knows ?????

just wondering if anyone has pivoted the bars in the clamps, either up or down = i'm assuming it's as simple as loosening the clamp bolts and move - but are there any locating pins or holes that will restrict movement of assorted bits like levers, controls, or brake reservoir ?

i'm just being a bit lazy i suppose - just would rather leave things as they are if there is no reasonable or possible way to fill my desires - and curious if anyone else has gone down this path and the end result -

fyi - every time i ride this thing, i enjoy it even more than the last time -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

6 Hours Ago
    You should be able to rotate the bars with no issues regarding a locating pin. But you will need to adjust the throttle grip so the closed position is in the right position for you.

However, be aware of any clearance issues with the screen or tank on full lock, and also watch the throttle & clutch cable slack as well as wiring that runs from the switch gear.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    I trader a Kawasaki ZX6R 636 for my F800GT, I never thought about rotating the bars. I like the lean forward and had no problem with the position on my ZX6R, took me a while to get used to the F800GT position. It had a big Madstad windscreen so there was no wind prop. After a while I figured out a couple of things, 1 the compression on my lower back from bumps was worse than in the leaned over position and 2 riding for hours at a time a less than interstate speeds was much better on my wrists. I had descent core strength but still remember the pain from the ride from Albany Georgia to Dothan Alabama after buying the ZX6R - took it slow for new bike and wow it was tough! In the curves I still feel more comfortable with the more aggressive position. LOL I also had a big tank bag so was harder to "hug" the tank.

Keep us updated on how rotating the bars goes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    4 Hours Ago
    Lonnie. Yes you can rotate the 'bars. Adjusting the righthand controls (throttle/front brake lever) is easy....loosen and rotate. The left has a small locating screw for the switch block under the inner end of the rubber grip. This needs to be removed fist, then rotate the switch block, then drill and tap a new hole for the locking screw. Easy enough if you're Ok with a few tools.

7. Likes IanA liked this post

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    This bike is a joy in the twisties, just as it came from the factory. I've got an S1000RR that I ride in the canyons a lot, and the GT gives me every bit as much joy on those roads with the standard bar position. There's lots of leverage.

I've not noticed problems with the back in the riding position of the GT. Interesting...

But, as Sir Edmund Hillary (I think) once said: "Nothing ventured, nothing win..." Try rotating and report back!

Real Name
    Rich
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    I was looking at the bars this weekend trying to figure out what happens if they are rotated either forward or backward. It was one of those brain teasers, visualising what happens to the end of a bent rod when the middle is rotated. Every time I looked at the bars I came to a different conclusion. I think if they are rotated forward they come up and closer to you. If rotated backward they go down and move away from you. If I am correct, rotating backward might help Elizdad. Not sure how much adjustment is possible though.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    2 Hours Ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3438.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	371801 hmmm, had time to play around a bit - and then saw this ! that's what i'm talkin about Thumpin !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    4 Hours Ago
    Lonnie. As an adendum to my earlier post, if you rotate the bars, you may not necessarily have to to rotate the left switch block. The clutch lever can be rotated indepentantly. However with the bars in a different position, the turn indicator and flash/high beam switches may be hard to use, requiring you to move the switch block too.

Real Name
    Rich
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Lonnie, did you try to adjust the bars in the end? I had another look at mine and think I need to revise my earlier post. I now think if they are rotated backward they go down but come closer, if rotated forward they go up but farther away. I have bar risers on mine and the bar height is about ok, but still wondering if just a little bit more height might improve things even further. However, I don't want to gain a few mm in height if it means the bars are going to be further away.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    2 Hours Ago
    quick update - i spun the bars up, down, around, and so forth a couple weeks ago, net result being the grips are closer to the ground - finally had the time and no-hurricane force wind weather, to put about 50 miles on today - initial findings are positive - the goal was a more normal for me position, and getting the helmet a tad south out of the wind - further testing soon -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Rich
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Do the grips come closer to you when they are rotated downward and further away as they are rotated upward?
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    2 Hours Ago
    being relatively short on intelligence, all i can say is, if you were looking at the bar from the end, as it's rotated in the clamps, the grip will move in an arc - at one point it will be closest to the rear of the bike. at the opposite 180 degrees, it will be closest to the front of the bike - once the bar is moved from the center point closest to the seat, it will be going up and away, or down and away - i'm pretty sure that's the technical explanation

so in my opinion, the answer is, yes RHD ! but it's all relative to the starting point - does anyone know the exact position specs from the factory ?
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    4 Hours Ago
    Lonnie. The start postition is marked on the 'bars. Quite small white cross (X) that lines up with the join line of the upper and lower 'bar clamps.

Real Name
    Lonnie
    2 Hours Ago
    Dave - i did move something besides the bar but it was 4 am when i did it so i don't recall exactly what it was - but it worked, whatever i did (or didn't) do - thanks for the tips !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    2 Hours Ago
    *quick update#2*

cleaned the dirty pig yesterday morning - wiping down and around the bar, what appeared to me but a tiny star - residing where ????? exactly where Dave said it should be ! so what i accomplished with all that fanfare was to put the dang thing right smack in the bullseye ----- so my efforts were definitely worth it - just feel kinda silly thinking i had discovered the holy grail -

question is did it leave the dealer or factory that way or did the original owner do some tweaking ? we'll never know -----
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    4 Hours Ago

Real Name
    Lonnie
    2 Hours Ago
    update # wutever ! last one, i promise - rode again today, about 70 miles worth - all is good - the really interesting positive, is how little i moved the bar, but how much it improved things - through some wonderful magic, i find everything just fits now - butt is back to a wider/flatter part of the seat - my arms seem more relaxed - and even the foot/peg position is better = it just works - nuff said -

thanks Dave -

life is good -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

21. Likes Richard230 liked this post