Denali CANSmart Controller Install - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

7 Hours Ago
    Further to my Denali S4 install, i have now gone ahead with the Denali CANSmart Controller too.

After doing a lot more reading, research and watching YouTube videos i decided to make the purchase to further integrate my new spotlights & other auxiliary lights into the bike. Essentially the Spotlight Kits should only be bought if your bike does not have the CANSmart option (basically, if it is not a Modern BMW, or KTM with CANbus systems). Otherwise buy the individual spotlights + the CANSmart (as all cables are included).

With the CANSmart installed i can now control the spotlights without having any extra buttons installed, as well as a much neater wiring installation. Below are the functions i've activated/how they work;

Adjustable (via the desktop app) daylight & night time brightness for DRL use and Highbeam
    Indicator Cancel - Spotlight on the indicating side turns off when indicating
    Hazard Flash - Spotlights flash in-between indicator flash (you can turn this function off)
    Flashing of high beam 3 times in succession - 3 x strobe effect flash of spotlights
    Press Horn - strobe effect from spotlights (only whilst button is pressed)

Via the 'Info' button
    Quick 3 presses- lights on or off
    Hold down for 2 seconds - adjust brightness (increments of 10%)

I've also wired in my current extra rear lights, which were only DRL's as extra Brake lights too, using a wiring adapter to plug into the CANSmart. With this install i have reduced the number out outlets form my Fuzeblock to only 2; my satnav charger & power point mounted centrally on the false tank. I have kept these separate for the time being until i decide which i will wire into the CANSmart block.

Upsides of the CANSmart;
    Multifunctional ability for Spotlight control - note this can adjusted be for all spotlights, not just Denali (if you wire in using the kit i have mentioned)
    All cabling included - enough to wire in 4 lights from the 2 harnesses with a Y split
    Small and easy to position & fit
    Fit & Forget functionality
    OEM integration - no adaptions needed
    Daisychain - you can link 2 together if you run out of circuits and have more accessories to power

Downsides;
    Price - to some extent. It is £200 in the UK. And in comparison a standard fuseblock/power distribution module is about £70. However i can 'see' where the extra £130 is; The desktop app & built in functionality & the high quality plus, wiring & fixings. I can see where the money has been spent, and do not feel short changed by it
    Limited bike transferability - with CANBus adapters this should be able to work between different modules without having to buy another one.
    Only 4 circuits - this is a downside if you are using 2 of them for spotlights. As the 'cancel with indicator' function only works when you have a separate left & right circuit, otherwise both sides would go off with either indicator.

The CANSmart module, and where i have located it;

The CANBus connectors

The spare wiring coiled up (the grey one is my wiring for rear aux DRL's

The plug kit for adding in accessories. It comes with a male & female plastic plugs, 3 relevant electrical connectors (for M & F) & weatherproof plugs for the wires too.

The reason i am writing it all up, is there is very little information about these on line overall for any bike, let alone the F series bikes and how they work. Most online information online is from the R1200GS series as you would imagine - otherwise where would one wire in the Coffee Machine? Hopefully my threads are of use to someone!

A useful YouTube channel is by a dealer who also sells Denali gear and other accessories (A Bike Thing). He does product walk throughs, installations, functionality etc etc. Very useful information to show you wha the items are and what they are capable of. I wish i had found his channel & shop before i got into it all. But i have found my way none the less.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

2. Thanks MGD109 thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Don't forget that the Denali system IS a HEX ezCAN with a Denali sticker on it. There is plenty of info on the HEX site for the f-twin platform. Ironically, if you want extra wire connectors HEX will tell you to buy them from the Denali site.

5. Likes DJ123 liked this post

Real Name
    Dave
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Is that a bit of solid core twin-and-earth you've used there?
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

7. Likes DJ123 liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

7 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Don't forget that the Denali system IS a HEX ezCAN with a Denali sticker on it. There is plenty of info on the HEX site for the f-twin platform. Ironically, if you want extra wire connectors HEX will tell you to buy them from the Denali site.
    Indeed it is the same unit. Just marketed differently/better potentially due to the Denali accessory range.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

7 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogbody View Post
    Is that a bit of solid core twin-and-earth you've used there?

It is indeed. I wanted to use decent wiring for the lights with good layers of protection on the wires and the outer coating too. I had some of this on a reel and thought it would be perfect. The upside is the wire is able to keep its shape to however you bend it, so you can manipulate it differently to negotiate tricky bends/corners.

Real Name
    Dave
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Only snag is that it can get brittle and break with the vibration from the bike. I use flexible 2 or 3 core either 10A (1.25mm2) or 16A (2.5mm2). The flexible type used on appliances or extention leads is ideal.

Other than that bit of twin-and-earth and (if I was fussy) a few more cable ties the wiring looks ok.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

7 Hours Ago
    I'll see how it goes, and watch out for any intermittent lights. I've got some standard dual core wire if needed to replace it.

Real Name
    JR
    6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    When I traded my 2014 R1200GS for a 2019 F750GS I was told by Twisted Throttle that my Hex EZ CAN was incompatible and couldn't be moved to the F750GS. It turned out to be 99% compatible with the exception of the rear brake pedal not activating the Denali brake light. The front brake lever operates the Denali brake light just fine. Good enough for me!

14. Likes DJ123 liked this post

7 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRogue View Post
    When I traded my 2014 R1200GS for a 2019 F750GS I was told by Twisted Throttle that my Hex EZ CAN was incompatible and couldn't be moved to the F750GS. It turned out to be 99% compatible with the exception of the rear brake pedal not activating the Denali brake light. The front brake lever operates the Denali brake light just fine. Good enough for me!
    Thats good news to hear! Thanks for the insight into cross bike compatibility.

I'll most likely remove mine when i sell the bike anyway, along with the rest of the extras i've put on it.