Top case recommendations F800gs givi, shad? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800GS
    Anyone have a Givi v40 monokey? Or any other givi to recommend for an F800gs

I have the Vario side bags and almost never use them. I think I would use the top case more. It should fit a full face.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    Any 30+ litre top box should fit a full face lid no issues, Personally, i prefer Givi as a brand.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

Real Name
    Dave
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Fit a Givi mounting base to the f800.
    You then have a huge choice of 2nd hand boxes off Ebay.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

5. Likes MGD109 liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    FWessel
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I had a Givi top case for several years and it didn't weather well. Plus was not robust enough for my tastes. So I found a metal case on sale at Walmart of all things: Moose Racing, 45 liter waterproof, excellent construction. Then mounted it with some lights. It might look big in the pics, but I can tell you it's just right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3220.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	667.3 KB 
ID:	371835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3221.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	476.4 KB 
ID:	371837  

Real Name
    Geoff
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I have a Givi V56 on my F800ST and I love it. I thought it would look really weird being so big on my bike but it looks perfectly fine. The only time it looks funny is if I take the side cases off.

The V56 holds two helmets with some room to spare if you want to stuff some sweatshirts or smaller items. The main reason I wanted it over the 40 was to hold two helmets, I've read the 40 will hold a single helmet with no issues. Also, I don't remember the details but I believe (and you may know this already) the Monokey allow you to remove the key, monolock does not and monolock is usually less durable.

Some people don't seem to mind but I have the key on the same ring as my bike key so my usual procedure is to open up the top case, then start up the bike, it's automatically locked when I close it. Others complain the other way around, they don't want to forget to latch it so it's your preference but it's important to know that there is a difference.

Oh, and having the electrical kit is nice for the Givi cases, sadly it's an extra cost. It's not necessary but I like having the extra brake lights.

Real Name
    FWessel
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I had the Givi G46 monokey 46 liter and it was nearly impossible to get two helmets in it. So I added a clip lock on the handlebars, in case I had 2 helmets. But then I went to the above solution. I just noticed Givi has metal cases like the one I purchased. But I'm sure it's not $80, as I paid.

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    I have the E55 for touring. It's not bad. I got it used so I paid a fair price but they're way overpriced new. These cases get banged up anyways so I'd try to buy one used.

1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by chupa88 View Post
    I have the E55 for touring. It's not bad. I got it used so I paid a fair price but they're way overpriced new. These cases get banged up anyways so I'd try to buy one used.
    If they were way overpriced no one would buy them. Which would mean no 2nd hand market for them . . . .

There's a market for the top named brands which command a higher RRP, and the cheaper brands which are usually a copy or imitation of the named brands.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Your statement is ludicrous. People buy overpriced items every single day. Teenagers buy overpriced sneakers and clothing because of branding, women buy $100+ Lululemon leggings and $1000+ Coach and Gucci handbags and people buy overpriced Harleys all the time. People buy overpriced items due to the perception of branding or there is limited competition within a market. Do you even have an Givi E55? This case is a flimsy plastic shell which I've had to replace the lock since the original one fell out on a road trip as well as replacing the plastic cords that hold the top lid up since they're designed too short and cause the slightest gush of wind to slam the top lid down onto your hands all the time. Givi makes some decent stuff in their ADV cases but overall they are overpriced for what they are selling. Why pay Givi prices when their competitors can offer the same or better usage for equal or cheaper price. Sounds like you're just hankering for a fight or a Givi fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    If they were way overpriced no one would buy them. Which would mean no 2nd hand market for them . . . .

There's a market for the top named brands which command a higher RRP, and the cheaper brands which are usually a copy or imitation of the named brands.

Real Name
    FWessel
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    OK guys...your points have been made. It's time to ride.

1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by chupa88 View Post
    Your statement is ludicrous. People buy overpriced items every single day. Teenagers buy overpriced sneakers and clothing because of branding, women buy $100+ Lululemon leggings and $1000+ Coach and Gucci handbags and people buy overpriced Harleys all the time. People buy overpriced items due to the perception of branding or there is limited competition within a market. Do you even have an Givi E55? This case is a flimsy plastic shell which I've had to replace the lock since the original one fell out on a road trip as well as replacing the plastic cords that hold the top lid up since they're designed too short and cause the slightest gush of wind to slam the top lid down onto your hands all the time. Givi makes some decent stuff in their ADV cases but overall they are overpriced for what they are selling. Why pay Givi prices when their competitors can offer the same or better usage for equal or cheaper price. Sounds like you're just hankering for a fight or a Givi fanboy.
    My statement was referring to your comment of 'way over price' is your opinion. Not factual. Just because you are not willing to pay it because you do not see the value in it, this does not reflect on the others or the market. If others did not see it as 'value' you wouldn't not be able to buy one second hand as they wouldn't have bought one in the first place . . . People will buy what they want with their own money. What you do with your money is up to you. But the fact Givi sell/sold them at RRP means people are willing to pay for it.

Arguing with a stranger on the internet pointless, as is insulting someone you don't know. I'm not a fanboy of anything, I know what i like and know where i will spend my money. When you want to have a discussion about something which is factual, or you have an opinion to express please understand other people have their own opinions. Your aggression or confrontational remarks are not needed.