Hi, Iím new Here.... - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

8 Hours Ago
    Hi all,

I have just sold my R1100S and on the look for a F800R.... possibly the GT. Thought I would come here and see what the owners think of them...... good and bad.

Iím a retired Brit, living in Spain ( fantastic roads) and need to downsize a little.

Hereís hoping you can all help me out in my search.

Incidentally selling/buying a bike here in Spain is a nightmare. In the U.K. you hand over the cash if happy with the bike, you sign the tear off slip on the V5 ownership papers send that to the DVLC, wa la. Here you need a bill of sale, all taxes have to have been paid up with the insurance.... you have to prove this with papers. And on it goes... bureaucracy gone mad.

Sorry for the moan!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gunther
    4 Days Ago
    Hi Stuart ,
    F800R owner from Italy here, good for the twisties and narrow roads we have here, including alp passes, with a couple of sport side bags, you can go almost everywhere, if riding solo, excellent fuel consumption.
    Cons are: no wind protection at all (without windscreen, being 5' 4" short), and when it rains ... , some complain about suspensions, weighing 120 lbs I've had no big issues.
    If you need a bike for long trips, GT maybe is better than the R model, but I went from Genoa to Brittany in 2 day with my R (half motorways and half national and minor roads); if you prefer something nimble, R could be the one to go for. GT is belt driven, R has a chain, again, I don't usually ride in the rain, so cleaning and lubrication only after 1500-2000 km, no problems so far, I had the chain replaced at 70K and mechanic told me it was still in good conditions, remember that with a chain transmission, you can replace sprockets.
    If you need more specific info, let me know
    Su cunnu!†

8 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    Hi Stuart ,
    F800R owner from Italy here, good for the twisties and narrow roads we have here, including alp passes, with a couple of sport side bags, you can go almost everywhere, if riding solo, excellent fuel consumption.
    Cons are: no wind protection at all (without windscreen, being 5' 4" short), and when it rains ... , some complain about suspensions, weighing 120 lbs I've had no big issues.
    If you need a bike for long trips, GT maybe is better than the R model, but I went from Genoa to Brittany in 2 day with my R (half motorways and half national and minor roads); if you prefer something nimble, R could be the one to go for. GT is belt driven, R has a chain, again, I don't usually ride in the rain, so cleaning and lubrication only after 1500-2000 km, no problems so far, I had the chain replaced at 70K and mechanic told me it was still in good conditions, remember that with a chain transmission, you can replace sprockets.
    If you need more specific info, let me know
    Thank you for such a nice welcome...... very helpful. You hit my choices nail on the head. Belt v chain protection v naked?? Here in Spain we have little rain so the R is favourite. At the moment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Gunther
    4 Days Ago
    I assume you're living in the southern part of Spain , as far as I know in the north it rains pretty often.
    Anyway, you could try both of them, I'm not sure about the final transmission ratio, maybe it's shorter on the R, and so you could experience different handling behaviours, just to give you an example, here we have such narrow roads, that sometimes I need to brake nearly to stop the bike, and in first-second gear, when reopening, I have a fast response
    I forget to tell you about problems with the rear wheel bearings, many owners, in the first years (S and ST models) had their wheel hubs damaged by gripped bearings, nothing like that that on the R, you should search for some thread about bearings problems on the GT, just to be sure.
    Su cunnu!†

3 Days Ago
    Hopefully you can soon enjoy motorcycling and forget the bureaucracy.

Real Name
    Richard
    3 Hours Ago
    Welcome, Snavetraunts. Does it rain on the Plains of Spain? If not, the R might be the bike for you.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.†

8 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunther View Post
    I assume you're living in the southern part of Spain , as far as I know in the north it rains pretty often.
    Anyway, you could try both of them, I'm not sure about the final transmission ratio, maybe it's shorter on the R, and so you could experience different handling behaviours, just to give you an example, here we have such narrow roads, that sometimes I need to brake nearly to stop the bike, and in first-second gear, when reopening, I have a fast response
    I forget to tell you about problems with the rear wheel bearings, many owners, in the first years (S and ST models) had their wheel hubs damaged by gripped bearings, nothing like that that on the R, you should search for some thread about bearings problems on the GT, just to be sure.
    Yes.... I live in Alhama de Murcia, 320 days of sun..... and the wine/ beer are cheap. . I believe the seating position on the R is more upright than the GT and I am looking for this... for medical reasons. ThAnks for the hints

8 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Welcome, Snavetraunts. Does it rain on the Plains of Spain? If not, the R might be the bike for you.
    no rain..... see my reply above. Just sunshine and beautiful roads.

8 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrauss View Post
    Hopefully you can soon enjoy motorcycling and forget the bureaucracy.
    Most Spaniards use gestors because they too are fed up with all the paperwork. If there are any Spanish on here, perhaps they can tell me hints and tips to do this especially now with the lockdown restriction??

8 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Snavetrauts View Post
    Most Spaniards use gestors because they too are fed up with all the paperwork. If there are any Spanish on here, perhaps they can tell me hints and tips to do this especially now with the lockdown restriction??
    sales must be good in Spain because I have emailed 3 dealerships via the Moto site motos.net, which is the biggest operator in Spain, and not received a reply. I have money to spend jees what do I need to do.

4 Days Ago
    Hi im also new here. Im on a 08 f650gs twin had it since new

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Snavetrauts View Post
    .........I believe the seating position on the R is more upright than the GT and I am looking for this... for medical reasons. ThAnks for the hints
    According to https://cycle-ergo.com/ shows two different set of ergonomics dependent on year, for R. GT appears to be more upright with less knee bend.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride†