Drive Belt Alignment - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    I've noticed that my drive belt sits right on the outer edge of the rear pulley. It never moves over the edge and the full width of the rubber teeth are engaged but it looks a bit odd to me. I never noticed this on my previous GT or ST. Does anyone else have the same? I'm just not sure whether it's something I need to be worried about. The bike has around 2000 miles on the clock and is still under warranty. So I could run it into the dealership if it looks as though I have a problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2849.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	371979
    18 F800GT 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andy
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '06 R1200RT
    Just had a look at mine and it is sitting centrally on the sprocket. It looks like yours has moved slightly outwards, looking at the marks on your pulley. What is the tension like?

3 Hours Ago
    My 2013 F800GT belt normally runs towards the inside of the pulley. Not super tight against the inside lip/stop, but just naturally tracks in that direction. With so few miles, it seems unlikely anything is worn, but might be worth checking your hub clamp bolts, axle bolt and belt tension. Put it on the center stand, grab the wheel and manually try wobble the tire back and forth, should be tight and no clunks or deflection. Luckily it's under warranty so if anything seems questionable ask the experts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Thanks for the replies. My previous GT and ST belts used to run towards the inside of the pulley as well, which makes me wonder if anything is amiss. I'll try wobbling the back wheel to check for play in the hub. The belt tension seems ok. If I can't find anything I may just run it into the dealership. They are reasonably close by.
    18 F800GT 

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Rich,
    In my 14 years ownership of an ST and two GT's the belt runs fairly close to the inner flange of rear pulley.
    However, I have noticed on all the bikes, if I push the bike backwards a fair distance [up driveway and into garage], the belt drifts away from the flange. Recovers when forward motion returns.
    I would be inclined to have a ride to dealership.

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Thanks Chris, that's really interesting. I have noticed that when I arrive at my destination the belt is central on the pulley. It moves to the edge after I have pushed the bike backward into the garage. It's around a 6 meter distance to push it backward into the garage.
    18 F800GT 

4 Minutes Ago
    I would definitely have the dealer look at it.
    With the bike still under warranty do not do any wrenching on it.
    They do not “all do that”, so don’t let the dealer tell you that.
    Good luck
    07 F800 ST 

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    It's good you asked this question. It shows you pay attention to how your bike looks and feels. In fact, you compelled me to check my '18 GT's belt, and turns out it's centered, so it's good. But if you ever have doubts, for sure ask the question and take it to the dealer if there's any doubt.
    Never accept, as the previous poster said, "they all do that".

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Ok, so I went out to the bike and rotated the rear wheel 360 degrees in the forward direction of rotation. Belt is now back running in the centre of the pulley, which suggests that it runs centrally when travelling along. Seems it migrates to the outer edge if the bike is moved backward. I don't recall seeing this on my previous GT or ST but Chris F seems to have had a similar experience. Wondering if anyone else experiences this belt moving on the rear pulley. I will probably drift by my local dealer in a couple of weeks anyway just to check.
    18 F800GT 

3 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hand Drive View Post
    Ok, so I went out to the bike and rotated the rear wheel 360 degrees in the forward direction of rotation. Belt is now back running in the centre of the pulley, which suggests that it runs centrally when travelling along. Seems it migrates to the outer edge if the bike is moved backward. I don't recall seeing this on my previous GT or ST but Chris F seems to have had a similar experience. Wondering if anyone else experiences this belt moving on the rear pulley. I will probably drift by my local dealer in a couple of weeks anyway just to check.
    Worth checking the front drive sprocket is correctly torqued. I noticed the belt on my ST had migrated to near the outer edge of the rear sprocket and thought nothing of it. Couple of days later the front sprocket emerged after cutting through the plastic cover, bounced of my right boot and took off down the highway. Bike was low kms and belt original so pretty sure the sprocket had never been touched.

Real Name
    Lonnie
    8 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by peterd View Post
    Worth checking the front drive sprocket is correctly torqued. I noticed the belt on my ST had migrated to near the outer edge of the rear sprocket and thought nothing of it. Couple of days later the front sprocket emerged after cutting through the plastic cover, bounced of my right boot and took off down the highway. Bike was low kms and belt original so pretty sure the sprocket had never been touched.
    holy crap !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Richard
    1 Minute Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by peterd View Post
    That is exactly the same thing that happened to a friend of mine last month. He rides a 2008 F800ST. I posted the report here: https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...drive-sprocket
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    I think the OP was referring to the smaller front drive pulley on the gearbox rather than the large pulley on the rear wheel. If that's the case then it looks as though both pulleys can suffer issues. Very worrying.
    18 F800GT 

Real Name
    Richard
    1 Minute Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hand Drive View Post
    I think the OP was referring to the smaller front drive pulley on the gearbox rather than the large pulley on the rear wheel. If that's the case then it looks as though both pulleys can suffer issues. Very worrying.
    It would be interesting to find out which sprocket flew off. I thought the front sprocket on the ST was better protected against hitting the rider's boot.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.