I am back. - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Norman
    04-25-21
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Totaled my 2008 F800ST. Insurance gave me just over $5,000.00 It had 94,000 miles on it and was cosmetically not pretty but functionally very good.
    I lamented to the dealer that I had no where to go as a replacement since my ST a factory lowered bike. I couldn’t think of a comparable bike. He asked if I ever tried a 1250RS? I sat on it and could flat foot it.
    At first it intimidated me. More horsepower and significantly heavier bike but I have had it for 6 months now and I have had miles of smiles. The torque and power on this is awe inspiring. I am not into top speeds but everything in between is phenomenal. The low center of gravity of the boxer twin makes the bike handle really well. The only downside is I have dropped the bike several times and I can’t lift it myself. The other thing is I am not strong enough or clever enough to put it on the center stand.

The other thing I miss is this forum. There is nothing like it for acquaintances and the sharing of information and camaraderie.
    I have tried two 1250 RS forums and they are not the same.
    I have found a senior citizens (60) plus group that has a similar feel to it but the bikes are everything from scooters to you name it. Most of the guys are retired or close to it. Years and years of riding experience. Check it out.
    Anyway, I missed you guys.
    The older I get the better I was 

2. Thanks TheMeteor, IanA, Runmyownlife thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Wow, I've got 60k miles on my 08'ST and would never dream that it's worth 5 grand, and it's immaculate. Good for you.

Glad to hear that you're back to riding. Sorry to hear that you can't find an appropriate online social group. I think most of us here would be happy to have you to continue participating in this forum. Although there seems to be fewer and fewer ST comments/questions since they are dying off (like yours).

I was at a WI rally a few years ago and watched an older guy drop his very new big GS in a parking spot at a restaurant. I had to help him stand it back up because there was no way he could do it himself. I love the smaller bikes like the F800, but then again, I've never ridden a big bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ccramerusc; 04-19-21 at 07:30 PM.
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

5 Hours Ago
    Glad to have you back.
    Hopefully you weren’t hurt in the total of the F8.
    I would love an R1250 RS, but at my advanced geezer age my next motorbike will be smaller than my F8.
    07 F800 ST 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Lyle
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Sounds like an interesting bike, that new 1250 engine should be a plus,,. Nice looking package as well,,!!

"The only downside is I have dropped the bike several times and I can’t lift it myself. The other thing is I am not strong enough or clever enough to put it on the center stand."

Norman, not sure on picking the bike up however I thought the same on the center stand lift,. Really struggled with my GS, finally a friend grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and made me do it right and low and behold, easy pizy, with the right technique involving facing forward with your foot forward,. Lots of video's around,,. Since I have mastered my friends XR, which we had struggled with,,. Same technique, easy pizy,,!!

Real Name
    Gerry
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Hi, Norman. Glad you are well and welcome back. Sorry to hear about the F8 but I would also guess $5K is pretty good settlement given that age and mileage. I often wonder which bike I would consider if I no longer had the F8. I have to say, I really enjoy the versatility and mid-size weight and performance.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

9. Likes nkaj liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    19 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Glad you are planning to stick around.

Just about your ten year anniversary as a member!
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Norm, ol' buddy. That falling down stuff is a bother. I've picked the Wee Strom up by myself a few times but it's always nice to have help.
    I dumped the Wee Strom Saturday stopping to get the mail out of the mail box. There's a low spot there and i lost my footing and over I went. Set off the Helite air jacket, that's a $25 CO2 cylinder replacement, Knocked the mail box over and kinda smashed the LED running light that was hung from the crash bar. All in all a successful incident. I spent early Sunday morning doing a repair on the mail box post.
    That center stand thing is a pisser. My G650GS is a PITA to get on the center stand. I've had a few BMW's that were difficult to use the center stand.
    The Suzuki with a SW Motech stand is like butter. Even loaded for camping I have no issue easily deploying the stand.
    I think on the K100 models there was a folding handle to assist in getting the bike on the stand. That would help on my GS fur sur!

Real Name
    Norman
    04-25-21
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Luckily I saved most of my receipts for the farkles over the years. They take that into account.

Real Name
    Norman
    04-25-21
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I enjoyed the F800 also. I commuted and went long distance on that bike.

Real Name
    Norman
    04-25-21
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Sounds like you were a one man wrecking crew last Saturday.

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    I'm successful on occasion. At least I didn't sprain my ankle like when I had a no speed fall over in Kennedy Meadows at Grump Bears.
    You still working or retired yet?