What do you wear under your riding jacket? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    For the past decade I've been wearing wick-dry polyester shirts under my jacket, but am finding they do too good a job of keeping my skin dry and they're also irritating my skin (polyester allergy?). Thinking cotton would be better, but wonder in hot weather if it'll just get soaked with perspiration.

What do you wear under your jacket?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Since I'm also a traditional cyclist, I wear my cycling base layers. I have base layers for all conditions so it depends on the temps and weather, but they are all extremely comfortable to wear.

Real Name
    Andrew
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    For the hot days, a Lululemon athletic shirt under my heavy Klim jacket, with the ventilation zips open. The shirt can get a little damp on the hottest days but dries very quickly - very handy on multi day rides when doing laundry overnight.

On those cooler early spring or fall rides, a hoodie under the same jacket.

I imagine comfort levels and tolerance are very unique to the individual. Hope you find what you are looking for.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

RobA is online F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Rob
    24 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800R
    Hello 800 Friends. I use Merino Wool t-shirts all year round. I use 200g long sleeves for winter and 160g short sleeves in the summer. Works for me. Always try to get the 100 per cent wool versions. Rob.

7. Likes kickstandsup, ch4gas liked this post

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hello 800 Friends. I use Merino Wool t-shirts all year round. I use 200g long sleeves for winter and 160g short sleeves in the summer. Works for me. Always try to get the 100 per cent wool versions. Rob.
    Where do you get those?

26 Minutes Ago
    Depends on the time of year.

Summer time lightweight shirts, well ventilated to keep me cool. And shorts that do the same.

Winter/chillier times of the year - base layers under jeans & and shirt with a lightweight fleece.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

8 Hours Ago
    Summer time I wear 'LD Comfort'. (https://ldcomfort.com/).

Winter time Sharkskin (https://sharkskin.com/collections/chillproof)

RobA is online F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Rob
    24 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800R
    Hello Flyrider, I buy them from a firm call EDZ. You will find them here:https://www.edzlayering.com/collecti...-neck-t-shirts

Based in the UK.

Rob.

10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    For hot weather riding I have found Ex Officio Give n’ Go Tees very effective. They are almost all nylon, so no polyester “stink”. Pricey, but often on sale if you search.

For cold weather, other than electric vest, I use a layered combination of merino wool, silk, and Under Amour cold weather shirt (8 years old; might be discontinued by now).

Real Name
    Phil
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    In chilly spring/autumn weather I wear one of these under my leather jacket and over thin base layers. It's windproof and though it's wafer-thin, it works wonders. Even the best base-layers, if they are not windproof, are no good on a chilly day.
    https://www.montane.com/mens-c1/mont...bute%5B3%5D=22

2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    I try and wear a long sleeve cotton T-shirt. In the winter will add a fleece layer. In really hot temps sometimes it's just a cotton T-shirt. I wear textile jackets, solid in the winter but mesh in the summer. Reason I'm partial to cotton is I've heard too many stories about those who go down and slide a ways and have the polyester in the jacket or lining get hot enough to melt and then stick to exposed skin. I had a cool wicking T-shirt one time, wore it under a cotton polo shirt - wound up totally drenched as it did not work but wound up trapping sweat under the polo shirt. I would up taking off cool shirt and wearing just the polo shirt. Probably a bad mix of materials but since then I've tended to stick to cotton. In the south it gets hot and humid and I sweat a lot - lots of day riding in the upper 90s. Stop at a light and sweat then when moving airflow cools me off. LOL I used to ride my bike to work almost every day. Would leave home with a T-shirt under a dress shirt and tie. Temperature going to work was usually not bad and I would not get sweaty. Trip home could be quite warm - silk tie came off and went in the tank bag! I always kept a sport coat in my office and fortunately we were not required to wear a suit!

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Thanks, Al. I'm going to try wearing a cotton t-shirt under my jacket. Polyester/wick-dry fabrics irritate my skin. I've always worn them because a knowledgeable rider told me in summer you want to "wick" moisture away from your body. But I'll give cotton a try...got to be more comfortable.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    In the winter, it isn't nearly as important. Cotton t-shirt, shirt and electric heated jacket. The summer is when it takes some planning.

The critical part is somewhere around 93F. Above that temperature, the thyroid gland can't keep up with the cooling demands and sweat dries as soon as the air hits it. I'm not so concerned with the "wicking" capabilities of a shirt as I am in keeping the air from directly hitting my skin. I started with long-sleeve compression shirts from Cycle Gear. They did well, but when I stopped and took off the jacket, the black color got really hot. I'm moving to some white long sleeve Russel Athletic shirts from Big 5 Sporting Goods. The feel of the material is softer and nicer against the skin. The white color doesn't soak up heat. And the long sleeves keep the hot air off the arms. https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/st.../4516132211476 Cost is $20.

Below 93F, the RA shirts work well and don't add to the heat. You can still feel the air moving on your arms, and if desired you can take it off and put on a t-shirt.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Classified
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Cotton T-shirt or collar button down if I will be going to meet someone for lunch. If it is a long ride in hot weather...some spandex type legging to keep the suit from sticking to my sweaty legs. Also some breathable shirt (this is the extreme where I was riding in 100+F weather with full riding suit mostly off road for cross country).

04-29-21
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '03 F650GS (Single)
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    Merino wool is an excellent alternative. i use it during winter.
    And Bamboo cotton.
    "...Bamboo is 40% more absorbent than even the finest organic cotton, wicking moisture away from the skin much faster and keeping you dry and comfortable easier. Bamboo can take in three times more water than its weight which once made into a fabric, means that it also is able to get rid of moisture faster."
    Current bikes: F 800 GS 2015; F 800 R Chris Pfeiffer; Honda CRF 250R 2010;
    Passed bikes: F 650 GS Dakar 1993; Suzuki DR 650 RS 1989; Suzuki DR 125; Honda XL 80 1987, Suzuki Landie 50 

Real Name
    Nigel
    6 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by OB wan kan OB View Post
    Merino wool is an excellent alternative. ..."
    +1
    Good choice, I use it when out cycling as well as riding. Really light and excellent wicking properties.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk