GT warning code 32, newby in search of a new bike - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '73 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '13 DL-650A V-Strom
    Hi,

New to the forum and finding it very interesting reading.
    I am researching for the purchase of a F800gt. This site has been a huge help.

I want to go check out a couple of bikes but they are hours away.
    The one bike, the owner said it has a red warning light and a code 32. Sounds like a great bike except for that.
    I have been looking for two days now to figure out the details of the codes. Not having much luck.
    Is there a site that I can find out the meaning of the codes?

Also, anything i should be aware of buying a used 2015/2016 GT?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Guenther
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F700GS
    Red flashing warning light could be critical tire pressure with error shown as "x.x". If the actual tire pressures are within specs then maybe a bad tire pressure monitor in one wheel.

/Guenther
    2017 F700GS - I wish it had a drive shaft 

Real Name
    Dave
    13 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    As far as I'm concerned it's up to the seller to produce a report/invoice/quote on the cause and likely cost.
    Or -- walk away, plenty of bikes out there.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

5. Likes Daboo liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by chill28 View Post
    Hi,

New to the forum and finding it very interesting reading.
    I am researching for the purchase of a F800gt. This site has been a huge help.

I want to go check out a couple of bikes but they are hours away.
    The one bike, the owner said it has a red warning light and a code 32. Sounds like a great bike except for that.
    I have been looking for two days now to figure out the details of the codes. Not having much luck.
    Is there a site that I can find out the meaning of the codes?

Also, anything i should be aware of buying a used 2015/2016 GT?
    Can you get the owner to send you a picture of the flashing light and code? It sounds like a tyre pressure warning to me.

BMW F800 GT

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '73 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '13 DL-650A V-Strom
    Thanks for the input guys! Think it might be the tire pressure sensor as mentioned. I need to have a closer look. If it checks out, it might be worth further investigation.
    As Bogbody said there are a few out there so no point messing with a problem before buying the bike.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    If it turns out to be a TPMS fault, it likely is the battery failing in the sensor. You can buy a new sensor online and replace it when changing tires.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

10. Likes PhotoAl liked this post

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    The front TPMS sensor is going out on my bike. At the beginning of the ride it often works - but not long into the ride it gives up and a warning light is triggered.

The display automatically shifts to show the tire pressures - on the left is the front tire pressure and it will show "---". and on the left it will show "40" as the rear tire pressure (or in the case of the bike you are looking at it is "32").

As others have stated, the bike is likely in need of a front pressure sensor. To confirm this you could change the rear tire pressure on this bike and see if the "32" code changes to a different number when ridden.

I have attached a link to the thread on the TPMS system relating to the wheel sensor. Getting it changed at a dealer is a bit expensive.....and so is replacing it yourself if you don't already have a GS911 scan tool.

https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...highlight=tpms

Now you need to figure out the best way to confirm it is the TPMS, and work out a deal with the seller on how to adjust the price of the bike.
    Last edited by Thumpin; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:56 AM.

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    I'm a bit surprised the seller has not fixed the error code. Particularly if it is TPMS related, an error code or problem when selling a bike usually scares folks off as it makes them wonder what else is wrong. Not saying the bike is bad or a bad deal or the seller is nefarious just I would have fixed it before selling. Haha that's what I had to do when I traded mine before they would accept it as a trade in - I had a bigger problem though

If properly maintained the F800GT are good reliable and competent bikes. I did several long trips on mine and it was a wonderful companion. All the problems I had (IMO) were service errors and not a fault of the bike. I did not baby mine or put super expensive oil in it, just had the scheduled service always done on time and rode it but not abused it. I never hit full throttle until it was warmed up for example.

IMO there are options differences, mine was a mid level it had heated grips and extra "stuff" in the display. I found the fuel milage calculator to be a good help on long trips. I used it to gauge how far I could go before needing fuel. The F800GT can be very frugal with gas consumption if ridden at slower speeds which is helpful when you discover the next gas stop is further than anticipated! I used the average as well as the instantaneous along with resetting a trip odometer when refueling. The gas tank isn't huge but is good for 142 miles to over 200 miles depending on speed. Mine had the BMW sidecases which worked very well for me and never leaked. I rode thru several day long rains including rain and wind and intense rain. The lids opening like they do make loading a bit more difficult but nothing falls out unless it is raining and the ground is wet!

With a 2015/2016 you are looking at a bike that is several years old. I would not shy away from bikes with more mileage and a bike with low miles that has set up may have more issues than a bike that has been ridden regularly and well maintained.

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '73 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '13 DL-650A V-Strom
    Thanks for the input guys. The Gs911 sounds like a good tool to have. If I knew someone near me that i could borrow for when I check out the bike I would. Not ready to buy one before owning the bike...lol
    Not sure why the owner has not reset other than he is 5 hours away from the nearest BMW dealer
    Might go see it later this week. There are a few other GTs in the area around southern Ontario I can check out as well.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It's a great bargaining tool for you to use. He can say it doesn't bother him...but it will bother every potential buyer. No one wants to buy a vehicle with an error message showing on the dash. The message it sends is that the problem was so major the owner would rather take a loss on selling the bike, than expend the money to fix the issue.

My Father told me once that he never bought a used car because every used vehicle had a problem that the owner didn't want to deal with.

Now most of us here on the forum believe it is a minor issue...but he doesn't need to know that. And if it isn't minor, you are the one taking the risk, not him. His "warranty" will extend no further than the first foot (meter) you ride the bike away.

I bought my GS-911 for about $100 from a friend. It's been worth it. But in bargaining with him, I would quote the cost of taking the bike to the nearest dealer and paying their cost for replacing a TPMS sensor. Call around, but I bet they'll quote you around $500 USD.

So whatever price he's asking...you want at least $500 less than that. Otherwise, walk away from it. It is a buyer's market.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by chill28 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. The Gs911 sounds like a good tool to have. If I knew someone near me that i could borrow for when I check out the bike I would. Not ready to buy one before owning the bike.......
    There are alternatives to the GS911. I use an OBD diagnostic tool, does all I want it to at much lower cost than the South African tool. Link to UK seller, hopefully you can find it near you when you're ready to buy
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/OBDLink-427...obdlink&sr=8-1
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

Real Name
    Dave
    13 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Look up the motoscan product.
    motoscan.de
    odbll dongle + software + adapter cable at approx £100
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '73 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '13 DL-650A V-Strom
    Had a look around my area and found someone selling an OBDlink xl so going to grab that and see if I can get the adapter somewhere before I go look at the bike.
    Great advice. Thanks

18. Likes Daboo liked this post

3 Days Ago
    Like others have said, I'd be wanting a major off the asking price for a fault.

It's not that there is a fault for what should be an easy fix. It is that simple fault codes can be a symptom of a bigger problem, or more faults. You are the one taking the risk for that.

20. Likes Daboo liked this post

11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '73 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '13 DL-650A V-Strom
    Got the bike, wasn't an issue, it was just tire pressure was too low. Also had been stored and not ridden way past next service date.
    Nice shape, looking forward to some great rides.

Real Name
    Andrew
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Hahahaha... That's the cheapest fix - adding air. Nicely done.

Enjoy your new ride. Good choice.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

23. Likes chill28 liked this post