Clutch Case Corrosion - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    Had my GS a week now, very impressed overall, love it. However, itís only 4.5 years old, but already has significant corrosion on the clutch case, sump case and rear hub. I know itís not structural or a fundamental problem, but it looks a bit crap.
    As a new owner I wondered if it was a thing, or something unique to mine. Overall the bike is well maintained, has all the dealer service stamps, and has been loved.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    3 Hours Ago
    Welcome, daveywww. I seem to recall complaints a few years ago about some UK bikes having issues with corrosion and weathered paint on the engine, particularity around the sump and other areas exposed to the elements. In some cases this damage was on bikes still covered by BMW's warranty and the damaged parts were replaced by BMW. In other instances the owner just cleaned the parts well and re-coated them with paint. But these complaints have not been very common and might have been due to a relatively short run of engine parts being poorly painted at the factory.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.†

4. Likes daveywww liked this post

1 Day Ago
    Cheers Richard. I’m not too bothered, masked the worst bits with the wife’s black nail varnish

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    3 Hours Ago
    Perhaps the result of being ridden in an area that uses a significant amount of salt on their highways and not rinsed after being ridden.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl

8. Likes jrwooden liked this post

Real Name
    Jim
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Perhaps the result of being ridden in an area that uses a significant amount of salt on their highways and not rinsed after being ridden.
    Based on bikes I've been around I think @AKBeemer is correct ... the bikes do not seem to be protected from corrosive environments as well as the could be...

There may have also been run(s) of substandard parts, but having seen several bikes on coastal environments that were well cared for (not stored on the beach ... blah blah blah) the finishes were not holding up as well as I would have expected....
    Blue 2009 F650GS - H-B crash bars, TT luggage rack, Pelican top case, BMW Vario Panniers & bash plate, 20mm handlebar risers, LED voltmeter, Sargent seat, MudSling, a few other trinkets ... I may be just about at the end of the farkle train