F800GT narrower bar - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

6 Days Ago
    Hi,
    this is my first attempt to change my status from a lurking guest to an active member. Hope this works!

I've ridden my 2015 GT for two years and made some 24,000 km.
    The rear got a new spring to suit better our two up riding (progressive). Next thing is to test Ricor Intiminators to keep the front happy.

I'd prefer a narrower handle bar. There is much discussion of rising the bar but nothing about narrowing them.
    The bar is abviously not easy to change: heaters, switches, bar end weights.

Does anybody know a substitute for the OEM bar?

Harri Vanhala
    Nummela Finland

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Why would you prefer a narrower handlebar?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

Real Name
    emlevy
    1 Day Ago
    Not sure of your location, but check with Flanders Company in California. They offer a wide selection of bars.
    2012 BMW R1200R Classic | 2015 BMW R1200RT 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

6 Days Ago
    I checked the Flanders but they did not have a fatbar type bar for the GT. Thanks for the hint anyway!
    I prefer a slightly narrower position. One interesting problem is how the thumbs will meet the "tank" with a narrower bar.
    Not a big issue!

Real Name
    Richard
    2 Hours Ago
    Could you just hacksaw a bit off of your existing handlebars? Or would the switches and lever pivots no longer fit on the bars? If that is the case, perhaps you could live with slightly shorter grips.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Steve Clarke
    17 Hours Ago
    DJ123 - exactly: Why??

1 Minute Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Harri Vanhala View Post
    I checked the Flanders but they did not have a fatbar type bar for the GT. Thanks for the hint anyway!
    I prefer a slightly narrower position. One interesting problem is how the thumbs will meet the "tank" with a narrower bar.
    Not a big issue!
    What bike are you comparing the the GT about the narrower position?

I think you might encounter clearance issues on the tank the the screen at full lock/close to it. And lose some steering leverage too - you can be more precise with a wider bar that takes less effort to move.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

6 Days Ago
    Actually I do not compare the bar width with any other bike although my previous bike was R100RS with a narrow bar. I rode on it 286,000 km so if there is a reference it is the RS. These bikes are totally different in all respects (tank badge excluded) so I pretend not letting old experience affect my opinion.

I just prefer a little narrower bar and maybe a slightly different angles. Helmut Boensch (in his book Einfuehrung in die Motorradtechnik) wrote of a research on the forces used to steer a motorcycle. If memory serves an average rider wants to feel a force corresponding to 200 grams weight in his palms. Maybe I'm on the heavy side in this respect. My background is in motocross and enduro where the feel and steering forces are under continuous variation.

There is a huge variation of bars available. The problem is that BMW bars have some special features so direct replacement is not possible.

I love this bike and can easily adapt to the OEM bar. I had some trouble with my butt but dropping the pegs with 25 mm solved that problem totally. I'm 190 cm tall so the riding position was slightly cramped ("the bureau was too small").

Thanks for comments!

Real Name
    Nigel
    3 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Harri Vanhala View Post
    Actually I do not compare the bar width with any other bike although my previous bike was R100RS with a narrow bar. I rode on it 286,000 km so if there is a reference it is the RS...
    You did well with that R100RS Harri.

Used to love the 82 twin shockone that I owned some time back. Ironically I found the standard narrow bars fitted hard on the wrists on long trips. Great bike apart from that though, looked the part with the 3/4 seat fitted.

Hope that you find a way forward with your F800GT.

Ride safely.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk