BMW F800 Forum banner

10% Ethanol in petrol in the UK and plastic tanks

6K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Thumpin 
#1 ·
Petrol at UK pumps will be up to 10% ethanol from this summer. I've been reading that this can be an issue with older bikes due to fibreglass in repaired tanks, but also an issue in plastic tanks - Guzzi V7's having stretched tanks due to the ethanol. As our F series tanks are plastic any information about on whether this may become an issue?

I have no idea, but expect other parts of the world inc US have 10% plus?

#2 ·
I think the tanks should be ok, as they're used in bikes worldwide & ethanol fuel has been in US fuel for years.

The bigger concern will be the rubber pipes that supply fuel - more likely to have 'damage'/ long lasting effects on the natural rubber elements, potentially making them brittle and prone to cracking.

#3 · (Edited)
10% Ethanol in fuel...
You can check on the the UK Government web site if your vehicles can use E10 fuel.... link below (not sure about other countries)
Bennetts and MCN also published articles about E10 fuel...links below

However; I am of the understanding that all fuel injected BMW motorcycles can use E10 fuel with the proviso that the Octane level is suitable for your machine. All information is in the handbook, and there should be a label on or near the fuel filler. Mine has a both E5 and E10 labeling.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2020/march/what-is-e10-fuel-and-is-it-safe
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advice/maintenance/e10-fuel-motorbike-petrol-ethanol/
https://bikerrated.com/bikes/runnin...90 RR, Vehicles registered as from 18/05/2007

#4 ·
90% of the gas here in my state is 10% ethanol. Have used it in my 2012 ST and 2016/2018 GT's, as well as my '17RR with no issues. I do occasionally pour some Startron fuel treatment in my tanks, and have always used premium fuel, as BMW specifies. Don't think it's a problem for our bikes.

#5 ·
About the only negative to 10% ethanol fuel here in the states is that it goes stale pretty fast and when it does, it turns to jelly. If you have vehicles that only see the road occasionally, you should consider an additive to offset the ethanol issue. I did have problems with my old style clear fuel lines going bad. They cracked, leaked all the fuel out and when I went to replace them, they literally fell apart. Most all the newer fuel lines are now compatible. Have not had any issues with plastic tanks or performance though and when I've ran premium non-ethanol in the F800GT, I get about the same mileage as the 10% stuff. Long term storage is the only problem I'm seeing.

#6 ·
The ethanol affects tanks that are made from "nylon" as the plastic. My Sherco had an issue and the tank would "grow" in size. I bought a replacement tank and never used it - as I discovered that when I dumped out the fuel with ethanol and let the tank air out for a couple of weeks it returned to normal size. I then would go to a Marina that sells fuel without ethanol....you can do that with a trials bike as a 5 gallon can of fuel lasts a very long time.

I have a friend with a Ducati Multistrada. He has replaced several fuel level senders in the tank - evidently the ethanol causes them to malfunction and it triggers a lot of dash lights and is impossible to ignore. Ducati replaced a few senders under warranty - but now he is on his own......he installed a resistor and now the tank reads 1/2 all the time (but the lights don't get triggered).

There is no issue with the F800GT that I am aware of....the black plastic tank is likely made from ABS and it is not affected by ethanol.

In the US we have been battling the nasty issues that ethanol causes for a very long time - it is doesn't store well and it can start to cause trouble in a couple of months when it sits dormant. On my motorcycles with carbs I turn off the petcock about a mile from my house so I can run the float bowl dry.....the bike stops running about half way down my driveway (that way there is very little fuel in the float bowl to cause problems.

#7 ·
My 2007 F800S has had nothing but E10 its entire life. When one can find E0 here it is 50% more expensive than E10.

EPA doesn't directly force 10% ethanol, found they didn't have legal authority. But did find they could require proof of having sold 1 gallon of ethanol as a motor fuel for permission to sell 9 gallons of gasoline. This means those who are using E85 are creating credits for the fuel vendor to sell ethanol-free to others.

The first push to "gasohol" I know of was during the gas crisis of the 1970s. A lot of gas stations had water in the bottom of their storage tanks which didn't bother gasoline so long as a floating pickup was used. Once ethanol was added the water was picked up and ruined the gasoline. Ethanol rightly earned a bad reputation.

To this day those who have been F.U.D.ed still religiously purchase and use "ethanol treatments" and "stabilizers" which if they would read the contents and use a bit of High School Chemistry to understand they would know the "fixes" are more of the same kind of problem as ethanol. Might as well use more ethanol to solve the perceived problem because that is what they are doing. No treatment can remove or neutralize the ethanol, can only increase the capacity to dissolve water in solution. No matter what increased capacity to carry water in solution is not a solution.

Ethanol is a popular way for government to look like they are "doing something about it" while actually making the situation worse. If ethanol helped the fuel supply in any way then it would not require a mandate for its use. If it didn't consume more resources than it replaced then the free market would demand its use.

#8 ·
I concur with N4HHE's comments. I will also add that my F650GS has been running E10 for the past 12 years and 48K miles without a fuel tank or plumbing problem.

#9 ·
Fuel injected engines that are used regularly have no issues with using ethanol. (Provided the fuel tanks and other products are compatible with ethanol).

Engines with carbs that stay dormant for long periods are the ones that suffer. Ethanol fuel has a very short "shelf life" and begins to decompose quickly when it is not in a sealed container. Vented float bowls and vented fuel tanks allow moisture in the air to be absorbed into the ethanol portion of the fuel and before long the ethanol/water mixture settles to the bottom and begins to rust or corrode the metal. This is especially true if storage is in a car port or garage where larger temperature and humidity changes occur......storage in an insulated building reduces the changes significantly.

If you are not going to use the engine for a couple of months it is recommended that you dump the fuel out of the tank and run the engine until it stops so that all the fuel is out of the plumbing and carb.
At the end of the mowing season get all the fuel out of your mowers and leaf blowers.....same for your snow blower when winter is over.

#10 ·
I've stored 10% ethanol gas for my leaf blower over winter with no problem, by using an ounce of Startron in the 1-gallon gas can every time I fill it (plastic gas can, by the way). Never a problem. Startron in the bikes, too...and they always start immediately on pushing the "start" button in spring, after 4 months of inactivity.

#11 ·
Or you could buy a one gallon can of special yard tool E0 stabilized gasoline at your local hardware store for between $25 and $30, depending upon the brand.

#12 ·
I also concure wit N4HHE’s comments. To add to that, ethanol is not the only problem, as there are other chemicals in E10 in greater quantities than in regular gas. I read an article a few years ago that said the EPA sets levels for the amount of pollutants that gas can contain. With non ethanol gas, the oil companies must refine these pollutants out, the addition of alcohol makes the overall level of pollutants less so there is less refining required and less hazardous waste byproduct from the refining process. Instead of the oil companies having to remove the pollutants, we consumers get to pay to dispose of them for the oil companies by burning them in our vehicles. E10 suposedly has higher levels of benzine, xylene, tolulene and other non fuel chemicals in it than regular gas. These are the chemicals that can really cause problems with the non metallic parts of a fuel system.

#13 ·
Womble, I suspect you won't have any problems using 10% ethanol gas in your F800GT.

In 1994, I bought an R100GS (the last air head GS) and used E10 fuel almost exclusively. I worried about it once I learned about the ethanol controversies, but when I drained and inspected the tank and carbs 20 years later I didn't find any significant corrosion or problems. The fuel lines were 22 years old when I sold the bike to buy a 2008 Multistrada 1100 (one of the models with the plastic tank).

I did some research and came to believe the ethanol in humid climates absorbed water which was then absorbed by the plastic tank, causing swelling, sometimes to the point that it could not be removed from the bike until the fuel was drained and the tank allowed to dry out again and shrink back to normal.

There was a class-action lawsuit that was settled when Ducati agreed to replace a tank once - using the same plastic!!! A company called CA Cycleworks produced a replica tank using plastic that did NOT absorb water (why didn't Ducati do that?).

I live in a pretty arid part of Southern Oregon in the US where we have access to non-ethanol premium gasoline. I use the non-ethanol fuel whenever I can, especially as winter approaches and I know the bike will sit for a month or two. I've never had any problems with the tank swelling.

Your bike should be unfazed by 10% ethanol. Fifteen or 20%? That's to be determined, but I would guess not. Just don't let it sit in the tank for months at a time.

#16 ·
Modern fuel systems is the "important" word here. Fuel injected engines are likely very tolerant of E10.....provided the fuel tank isn't made of fiberglass or nylon.

Fuel systems with carbs are also generally tolerant of E10 - provided you keep the fuel fresh and use the engine enough to get a fresh tank of fuel every few months. E10 fuel degrades in only a few months when it is exposed to air (carb and fuel tanks vents).

When E10 first came out in this area a lot of the rubber fuel lines on equipment turned into a soft pasty goo and were replaced - fuel line sold in this area is now either Tygon or silicone and does not dissolve when ethanol is in the fuel.

#17 ·
I've used E10 gasoline in my motorcycles and scooters and lawn equipment for years. Mostly put Shell brand in them as it's close and easy to get to. I've let my Honda Metropolitian sit for 6 months to a year in my garage and have had no problems at all. It takes a bit more cranking the first start but after that it fires up immediately. Same with my Kymco scooter and my F800GT. Over the winter the motorcycle may sit for 3 to 6 weeks at a time but cranks high up and does not seem to have any problems. My chain saws I always try and run dry. I have read and heard the E10 comments for years and wonder why I don't seem to have those problems. I wonder if it is the brand or a premium gasoline. I did completely clean the carb on my Metropolitian about 3 years ago for the first time since I bought it and it was a huge improvement - one jet was completely clogged - had a spare carb so combined bits and pieces plus a rebuild kit and it runs perfectly - still won't go over 37 MPH though :)

#22 ·
Al:

For several years the 3 counties in Northern Kentucky were required to use Reformulated Fuel (our politicians volunteered us). This was done as we are right across the river from Cincinnati and they were having air quality issues. It wasn't announced - and initially I could not understand why the MPG in my truck dropped 10% and no amount of maintenance could get my MPG back to what is used to be. Then I happened to buy gas in Pendleton County and on that tank I got my MPG back.....that is when I discovered it was the fuel and not my truck causing the problem. This reformulated fuel decomposes far quicker and may be one of the reasons that some folks have problems in stored equipment relatively quickly (while you do not). The fuel sold across the US varies considerably from state to state.....and even between counties, and an "International" forum like this will have vast differences in the type of fuel available.
https://louisvilleky.gov/air-pollution-control-district/document/rfginlouisvillesinglepagespdf
https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standards/reformulated-gasoline

(PS - did you go to Barber this year? I looked around for you......but I didn't see you anywhere).

#18 ·
Ethanol and 2-stroke premix do not co-exist long before going sour. You are wise to keep the chainsaws dry. This is partially why the EPA granted partial exemption to maritime users: lots of 2-strokes. And also lots of water.

Otherwise the problem people have is with ethanol is water. Some, parked outside, get lots of water in the fuel very easily. Others not so much. Hard to predict if the problem will appear in a couple weeks, months, or year.

Automobiles with sealed fuel systems, and most CARB motorcycles, do a good job of keeping water out of the fuel. Seems to stop at the charcoal canister or nearby.

#20 ·
94 "Octane" is not necessarily ethanol-free. The USA EPA imposes a quota system where one must have credit for selling 1 gallon of ethanol as a motor fuel for every 9 gallons of gasoline. Those selling E85 accrue credits permitting the sale of E0. E0 gets priced to subsidize E85. So when 93 AKI E10 is $3.499 a good deal on 93 AKI E0 is $4.50-$5.00. Far far from "cheap maintenance" and revisionist history to claim to "never have to clean injectors and carburetors again" in not remembering we cleaned carburetors far more often in the old days than we do today.

Reactions: Richard230
#24 ·
Speaking of gasoline, the price of oil soared past $80 a barrel yesterday and today my local gas station raised its price for all grades of fuel by 18 cents a US gallon. [xx(]

#26 ·
AL:

No I did not do the BMW lap around the racetrack - the fellow I was with raced a Yamaha TZ250 for years at Barber and I am sure he would not have enjoyed a "parade" lap when he is used to running the track at speed. Also there is just so much to do that I never seem to have time to do it all....even with 2 full days. I was able to see a couple of motocross races this year for the first time....maybe next year I will be able to see a Trials event.

The F800GT did excellent as usual in getting me there and back. We rode 524 miles on the way down on Thursday and somehow avoided all the rain, then we left around 3:30 on Saturday and we rode to Cleveland Tennessee. On Sunday we rode over to Tellico Plains and rode the Cherohala Skyway, then took 129 to Deals Gap and we rode the Dragon.......I have now removed that ugly flat spot in the center of my rear tire and the tire now has a round cross section again! I am absolutely loving the way these Continental Road 3 tires ride and handle - the steering feedback is so much better than the Road 5 tires I had on previously.

And since I should somehow mention something about fuel in this thread......my friend was riding an R1200RT and at one fuel stop I put in 3.4 gallons and he put in 4.2 gallons - the F800GT got a lot better MPG even though we were riding the same.

#28 ·
NH4E:

For whatever reason you may choose to apply.......the gasoline stations in northern Kentucky do not offer any ethanol free fuel. It could be the distributors, it could be the fuel stations don't want a dedicated pumps to storage tanks for pure gasoline, it could be that the limited sales wouldn't justify it.

In Pendleton, Campbell or Kenton counties - you cannot get pure gasoline at any pump or the one gas station in Visalia that is near the Thornhill Drag Race track that sells 100 octane Turbo Blue fuel at somewhere around $9 a gallon.

When I want "pure" gasoline to run in my yard equipment and chain saws.....I take my fuel jugs to the marina. For all my cars/bikes I just run the E10.

#29 ·
My local Ace Hardware sells stabilized E0 gasoline, marketed for landscaping equipment and the like, in one-gallon metal cans for $25+. It is a mystery to me who is willing to pay those kind of prices for chain saw, leaf blower or lawnmower fuel, when they can just use E10 at the local gas station (currently $4.65 a gallon) and add a fuel stabilizer to the gas if needed. But they carry the stuff so their customers must be buying it. :confused: (BTW, Chevron stations in my area just raised their 91 octane "premium" fuel, as used in my BMW boxer and KTM, to $5.10 a gallon yesterday. [:(] )

Reactions: N4HHE
#31 ·
"Fuel stabilizers" are much of the same sort of stuff as ethanol. Read their MSDS just for fun.

If one has a "separation problem" (as occurs when excessive water starts pulling itself and ethanol out of solution) the cure seems to be to add more ethanol or ethanol-like chemicals that allow the excess water to go back into solution. The water is still there. Might as well add E85, will do the same thing, cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.