F800R Not Starting - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Sims
    06-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    Hey Everyone,
    I've got an issue with my bike, I've scoured forums, and tried things, but no joy.

2012 F800R

Last month I put my motocycle on charger and it charged up and started up with a bit of hessitation.
    I know the battery was bad, because it charged up in exactly 0 time, and it's been throwing out low voltage since last summer.
    Anyways weather warmed up and I charged it again before going out to work. It started up, I rode it to work, temperatures came down at the end of the day, and then it wouldn't start. Battery too low to even push start it.
    Tried charging it up for a couple of hours at work and still nothing.
    Got a jumpstart from someone, and it started, but as soon as I released the clamps, it died again. Then it wouldn't start again, but was giving me an immobilizer error.

I ordered new battery, a week later, I threw it in the bike, and while it lit up, still giving me EWS error, and no go.

I ordered a new ring antenna. Weird, that it would go at that exact moment, but I figured why not.
    It came in, I did the frankenstein detach and attach new one, and used both keys.
    It fired up and I got it home.

Then the next day, I decided to replace the antenna. I took the front end apart. Drilled out the security bolts, and installed the new one.
    While doing this, I unfortunately broke 2 micro switches, which we're very deteriorated. It's the ones on the clutch and front brake levers.
    I ordered the switches, they came in. I put them on.
    Reconnected everything and when I put the key in it lights up, no errors, and cranks, and noooo joy.

I have fuel in the tank.
    I checked and rechecked all the connections.
    When turning the key, the fuel control unit on the fuel pump itself, turns on, I can hear it when turning the key, and I checked the voltage when turning the key as well, just to be sure.
    I took off the airbox, checked sparkplugs, I'm getting a spark.
    I recheked the 2 microswitches, but those seemed fine, I removed them, and just had them hanging, and still nothing.
    I can't tell if it's a fuel issue. It seems like it's a fuel issue, but I can't be sure
    Battery is good to go, brand new Yuasa, holts charge, and shows 13volts, and something like 11 when cranking.
    I'm not sure which hose to disconnect to see if it's spraying fuel.
    I can't imagine it's clogged injectors.
    I didn't do it, but tomorrow I will check if I put a paper towel down the sparkplug hole, if it comes back up wet.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    I'm stumped,

I also don't have a GS911, but I might be getting one soon. I'm not sure if it'll throw a code or anything.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    Get a MotoScan with adapter instead.
    How is your stator doing?

05-30-21
    sad

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Are any error lights showing on the speedo?
    My first quess would be to check allthe wireing thats you have disturbed.
    Then read the codes with Motoscan or a GS911.
    Report the codes on here and take it from there.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

Real Name
    Cramer
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    If you're sure you have spark, then it has to be fuel unless the timing is completely off. The timing would only be off if you broke your timing chain. Having spark also tells you that the computer is working as it should.

One way to see if it's getting fuel is to crank it for a while (maybe 10 times, 3-5 seconds each), then quickly take out a spark plug. It will be wet and smell of gasoline if you are getting fuel.

Try giving it some throttle as you crank it. That will allow you to rule out the throttle position sensor and possibly add more fuel to the cylinders (if you are going to pull a plug to check it).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Sims
    06-05-21
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    Ok,
    So update,
    Not sure what happened.
    I took the thing apart. I checked the fuel pump controller (turns on when inition is turned on), cranking but no go.
    I took a spark plug out (Dry) and thew a paper towell in the hole. Still no fuel.
    I got mad at it, and put it back together, thinking I'll work on it some more at some point.
    Cranked it for the hell of it, and it fired up.

Thinking fuel may have gone bad, I did pour some more in there, and maybe it was enough to get it going. I didn't ride for 8-9 months, and unfortunately didn't start it up either

9. Likes IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    52 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Watching from the sidelines, this is a funny story. Maybe not so much for the OP. Lots of research, swinging of wrenches, worry and then solved in a moment of frustration!

Glad to hear it worked out.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

11. Likes Simmacus liked this post