Soon to be owner 2010 F800ST - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Weeks Ago
    Hello all. This is my first post here as a new member and soon to be owner of a 2010 F800ST. I am 66 years old, and thought I was through with street bikes, but they are not that easy to get out of your system. As I got older and weaker, the bikes seemed to get heavier (funny how that works). I settled on having a Honda CRF250X as my small dual sport, having extensively modified it and getting it plated. I still missed having a street bike to head out on for extended trips. I recently located a 2010 F800ST, with 2600 miles on it, that I will be picking up this weekend. When I test drove it, I was very pleased with the motor, handling and weight of the bike. The ergonomics, not so much. But I think it is such a competent motorcycle that it's worth the investment in getting it more comfortable. I am only 5'6", but have not ridden anything with such a sporting position in decades. I will be looking forward to gaining knowledge, meeting members of this website and making the mods to have it work best for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010 bmw f800st.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	373115  

2. Likes TheMeteor liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Randy
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Welcome Dencof, you have picked a great bike. At 66, you are still a youngster; I turn 74 this month. There are some mods you can do to improve the ergonomics. Either way you are going to love the bike. You picked a great color
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191110_151504.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	373127  
    2010 F800ST 

2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks Randy. Glad, at 74, you're still riding. When I go out with a group on my dirt bike, the younger guys tell me it is encouraging to them, and that they hope they're still riding at my age lol. I do feel blessed to still be able to ride. It's not something I take for granted. Your bike looks like it is setup similar to what I'm looking to do. I am hoping to take a trip this summer, and get away from the hot desert! I plan to put a few short trips 100-300 miles), see what hurts first and tackle that lol! I could just tell that there is too much pressure on my wrists and knees too cramped. Lots of promise though. But before that, I will take a look at what I need to do maintenance wise. It has under 2600 miles, but it's eleven years old. Not sure about what needs to be done besides fresh fluids, maybe spark plugs, inspect hoses, tires and drive belt. When I test rode it, it felt awesome.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Welcome, dencof, from the coast of Kansas. My advice will be counter of most of the folks on this, or any, touring/riding forum. But here goes:

The F800ST is indeed a great machine, but you will be making a mistake buying this one since you admit from the beginning that it does not fit you. You will enter upon a lifetime journey of tweaking, adjusting, and buying after-market stuff to make it fit you comfortably. If that's the way you want to spend you time and money, then go ahead. But if you want to spend your time riding, then keep looking for a bike that fits you better from the get-go.

My advice comes from a lot of years, and miles, and money while my ultimate quest was to ride in all the lower 48. I did manage my goal--four times on a different bike each time--but along the way I had to learn the hard way about being comfortable on a bike. The manufacturers who build traveling bikes (and BMW is one) spend a lot of time and money and effort building them for specific purposes--and rider shapes and sizes--but we owners seem to want to ignore all that and change the bike to fit our bodies. Usually a mistake.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    11 Hours Ago
    Royce makes some valid points. However, getting a bike to feel "right" for you may not take years nor a great deal of money. Sometimes a very small change (like rotating the 'bars) can make a radical difference to your comfort level. I reckon that if the bike ticks most of the boxes for you, get it. Getting it set to your comfort level can be challenging at times, but also a rewarding journey once you get there. Plus, with all the added farkles, you have a very personalised machine.

Real Name
    Randy
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    You are welcome to PM me for additional details on what I have done to my bike. Several of my mods are mentioned in other posts on this forum
    2010 F800ST 

2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks for your input Royce, Dave and Randy. I picked it up today...and so it begins again .

Royce, I understand exactly what you're saying. I've been working my way down with bikes for about a decade or so. I had a Road Glide that I enjoyed, but got too big especially when my ex decided not to ride with me any more. Then I downsized to a Victory Kingpin that I also enjoyed...smaller and low seat, but still a load. My next bike was a Triumph Tiger 800, which is a great bike, almost the same weight as the BMW, but I thought I was done street riding and sold it. When I had a serious life change last year, I decided I wasn't done riding yet. I wanted a bike as light as the Triumph, just a little more sport touring oriented, no chain and low seat. I found this F800ST with 2600 miles on the odo, and got it for $4500. I had also been looking at this website for awhile before joining. I found a lot of feedback/input as to mods that work and don't work. So, I felt comfortable at this price point that I could risk the chance. Before the Harley, I had a Honda 1100 Ace, Kawasaki Drifter 800, a Suzuki GS500E, a Honda V65 Magna, a Honda CB650 and a Honda CBX. I did almost no mods to any of those, except the CBX, when I was young and indestructible lol.

Dave, I don't plan to make any ergo mods till I take a few shorter trips, and see just what shows up and where. Then I will start small tweaks. I did find a new Wunderlich engine guard for $125 plus tax and shipping. I will be installing it right away, as I have put those to good use previously!

Randy, I will be hitting you and others up for input on your setups. There are a couple on here I intend to "borrow" from.

Once again, thank you all for your perspectives and input. It is appreciated. dc.

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    15 Hours Ago
    Welcome from Downunder, Dencof! An unmarked ST with only a few miles like yours is a real find! You are going to love it.
    It looks as though you already have one of the lower seat variants, so if you can get your feet down comfortably you may not have to do anything further ride height-wise.
    There are several options of suspension lowering if you find you still need a little lower altitude. The next step most of us shorties do is install 'bar risers, which will bring the bars up and back (depending on type/brand) around 50 mm/2". There are reams of info and discussion in these pages on risers or "barbacks" and most agree it is one of the best things you can do for an ST if you are a little on the compact end of the spectrum. Some of the lanky crowd go for lowering footpegs - at 5'4", I never needed to...
    You will find there is very little that has not been covered somehow, some where in this great forum. Good luck and have fun exploring, if you can find your way out of the Joke files...
    Cheers, Ian A. (78 in a few weeks time!)

2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks Ian. I am comfortable with the present height. My present thoughts are risers, lower pegs comfort style seat and higher windshield. But I will hold off till after a few rides to get a good feel for those things. And it's an inspiration to hear you're still riding at 78! dc.

13. Likes IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Andy
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F 800 ST
    Welcome Dencof. Same year and color as my ST but your is so nice and new! Based on the mileage (vs km) and price, I assume you're in the US?

Once you get a few rides in to further familiarize yourself and are still considering lowering the footpegs, I have an interesting offer taht lowers them 100% OEM: swap footpeg brackets with my wife's GT. They're 15mm lower and further forward than ST pegs. She's young and quite prefers the sporting side (she's got a dedicated trackbike) so she always has preferred the more aggressive footpeg position on my ST. Here are some pics on another thread about a year ago so you can compare https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...=1#post2840359

Either way, enjoy the ST. it's a super capable bike and this forum is refreshingly positive and helpful community.

2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks Andy I will keep it in mind. My first thought is that 15mm is not nearly enough. But on second thought, in concert with other mods, it could add a desired effect. dc.
    2010 F800ST, 2006 CRF250X 

2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Tracer GT
    Welcome and nice to see someone else my age on here. I was 63 when I traded my Kawasaki ZX6R 636 for the BMW F800GT. Seems like every bike I've had has been somewhat different (well maybe a lot different) and I just adapted to the different riding position. For sport riding really liked the position of the ZX6R but not so much for touring. I learned how to hustle the F800GT along. Add Grip Puppies to the grips but probably could have gotten by without them as relaxing my grip was all that was needed.

Spend some time getting to know your bike and what works and what doesn't. Had my F800GT for a couple of months and decided to take a trip. I loaded it up with full sidecases, tank bag and a duffle bag on the rear seat and went on a 5,000 mile road trip by myself. Was one of the best trips I've taken. Everything was new and I made some mistakes but the bike and I made it thru and had a wonderful time. Rode in hot and dry and windy to cool and rainy and windy and everything in between.

Spotted a nice ST over the weekend at the Barber Historics, was in a hurry so just grab a quick pic and should have spent more time checking it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crop3D6A0972.jpg 
Views:	1069 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	373247

Real Name
    Lonnie
    1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Redned View Post
    Royce makes some valid points. However, getting a bike to feel "right" for you may not take years nor a great deal of money. Sometimes a very small change (like rotating the 'bars) can make a radical difference to your comfort level. I reckon that if the bike ticks most of the boxes for you, get it. Getting it set to your comfort level can be challenging at times, but also a rewarding journey once you get there. Plus, with all the added farkles, you have a very personalised machine.
    ummm, yup !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

Real Name
    Lonnie
    1 Day Ago
    welcome dencof - how bout those tires ? did you toss them in the trash bin yet ? Ok, recycle them properly ?
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks Photo AI. I am going to take a trip sometime in summer. I have been doing shorter outings, and adjusting to the bike before making any ergo changes. Elizdad, I have not done that yet. It was in a climate controlled storage, and I have looked them over a couple times after each ride to see if any cracks show up....but I will replace them before heading out this summer. I used to drive through Selah on my way to visit my son. I love eastern Washington, especially the Palouse.
    2010 F800ST, 2006 CRF250X