BMW F800 Forum banner

Sold the GT

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  AdrianfromTassie 
#1 ·
After much consideration, I sold my GT yesterday. It wasn't so much a judgment "against" the GT, but more of a desire to only own one bike. The GT's a nice ride, but I've never quite solved the wind noise issue on it and decided that since my S1000RR is so powerful, smooth and without wind noise problems, it was the bike to keep. I'll miss the carrying capacity, but a good set of Kriega bags have allowed high-mileage rides with the RR, and they serve to keep my packing "disciplined". [:)]

Super group of people here, and of course I'll be reading what goes on here, even without GT ownership.

#3 ·
We'll miss you, Flyman! Your dedication to the screen issue was intriguing. When I followed your enthusiasm du jour for the VStream Sport, bought one and loved it, then have you take off on another tangent, I thought "Uh Oh, an OCD issue here?". Of course, I realise now it was just Enthusiasm for the Cause, the perfect motorcycle.
Stay safe, mate. Perhaps we will see you one day in Covid-free Oz? I'll arrange the parade.
Cheers, IanA

#4 ·
Aw, shucks, Ian, you give me too much credit. OCD? I'm afraid...guilty as charged. My wife is the opposite...laissez-faire for her. Me? Tinkering to the max. That VStream Sport screen is, actually, a good screen. But no matter what I did, I wound up comparing the ride quality on the GT to the RR, and the RR won. I told my wife it was the difference between a VW and a Porsche...both good vehicles, but vastly different. In the end, though, having two bikes was too distracting. I like to focus on one thing with full attention...a fault perhaps, but in 74 years I've had good luck with that approach.

A parade in OZ...that sounds lovely. Every once in a Blue Moon, we think...what would living in Australia be like? Perhaps you can tell me. Do Americans move there and find happiness with the culture?

#5 ·
Every once in a Blue Moon, we think...what would living in Australia be like? Perhaps you can tell me. Do Americans move there and find happiness with the culture?[/QUOTE]
Short answer: Yes!
Long Answer: It depends.....

Most Americans I know living here are very happy.. particularly since Trump and Covid! Most sensible Aussies are very aware that we are indeed The Lucky Country.
We are blessed with one of the worlds best health systems, a relatively innocuous political system, world class major cities and wide-open spaces, great food and wine, mainly safe neighbourhoods and so on... You need to visit first to see if you could put up with our odd sense of humour, tough road rules, weird accent, housing cost, immigration conditions, and for some, a sense of isolation. Unfortunately it is going to be some time before our borders will be open, we are determined to preserve our hard-won Covid safe position.
Love your VW/Porsche dichotomy! Since retirement I have had 3 VW's and then moved on to a couple of P-cars, an old 911 I share with my son, and a Macan S daily driver. They, along with the 200 sq.metre workshop /office / toyshop(boats and bikes) I bought last year mean that while I am just about broke - I couldn't be happier, but its been a long time coming - I turn 78 in June. Don't die wondering, FR!
Cheers, Ian A

#6 ·
I sure don't plan to "die wondering". There's a great saying that goes something like..."I'd rather regret the things I've done than the things I haven't done". I'm 74 and so far I'm doing pretty well on that score - I've satisfied my fantasies of playing in a rock band, flying my own airplane, climbing vertical rock walls and writing about it, riding motorcycles, and (to my great surprise, since I once hated math) getting a degree in mathematics. All that aside, I'm a complete misfit and happy about it! Ask my wife...she's one, too!

If I ever travel to your wonderful country, I'll stop in here to let you know. Would love to share good food and wine with you.

#9 ·
I'm sorry to go, too...this is one of the most civilized motorcycle boards around. The superbike boards are generally good sources of info, but are also populated with a lot of riders on testosterone overload, who court danger and think if your engine isn't making more than 10,000 rpm's, you're a wimp. Nice to know there's a more restrained way to own a bike.

#10 ·
So you are saying that there is nothing more boring than a BMW motorcycle forum? [:D] That might has something to do with the age of the owners. [;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.