BMW F800 Forum banner

Hey guys, bought a 09 F650GS, have some questions

468 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ccramerusc 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,

New guy to the forum, just bought a 2009 F650GS. The bike only had 7,000 miles, a full service history from the original owner. Came with the vario hard panniers, and a center stand. It was beautifully maintained. I bought it to take to work on nice days for my 55 mile commute (one way) and also to play with and explore/adventure ride on the weekends. I ordered some shinko 705s since it was still wearing its 12 year old original tires. I would like to add a few things like a more comfortable seat, and a taller wind screen some handguards, crash protection bars, and a skid plate. maybe some auxiliary lights as well. I'm 5'10,185 lbs, and about a 30" inseam. I'd love any suggestions you guys have on those parts. I was also curious, I see many of these parts are interchangeable between the f650gs and the f800gs, is there an easy guide to what will fit from one bike to the next? like if I buy a tall windscreen that says it will fit an 08-12 f800gs, will it probably fit my f650gs too? Anyway, looking forward to learning from you all, and excited to start putting some miles on this thing!

Cheers,

Jonathan Wright

#2 ·
Welcome Jonathan. Where do you live? If you put your location in your profile you will receive more useful answers to some of your questions. I own a 2009 F650GS and have been very happy with it. I have a BMW touring shield installed on it, a Sargent seat replaced the stock rubberized block of wood and I bought a GS-911 device to keep up on the bike's servicing. I am also using a BMW rear rack and a BMW expandable top box, which I find useful but it is much heavier than a Givi box.

#4 ·
Welcome and congrats on the new bike, looks great! Who wouldn't enjoy riding to work on that...screw the zoom thing. Seems you're considering some off road riding; (hand guards, skid plate, crash bars). Be mindful that when bigger bikes fall over they tend to shed parts like aux. lights, blinkers, panniers, windscreens, etc... If you're new to dual sport/adventure riding, maybe take some practice trips before you mount all the shinny new scratch-able parts. Crash protection parts first, expensive auxiliary lights later. Have fun! You'll figure it out

#5 ·
I have an ST, so I can't answer many of your questions, but as for cross model part fitment... I've found that an easy way to see if they will fit is to compare the part schematics for both models. If the part number is the same, then it will fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.