New f800s owner question - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

3 Weeks Ago
    I picked up a like new F800s. Hasn't been ridden for awhile. Well the battery is dead and ordered a new one. It calls for a ytx14bs but I have a ytx12bs sitting here fully charges. My question is will the 12 start it or do you need the 14. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Weeks Ago
    And what about the key, I am thinking it has a chip, will the bike turn over but not start if it's been a long time not running. I put the 12 bs battery in and it cranks over but no start. My new battery should be here Wednesday. Thanks

Real Name
    Cramer
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    It does have a chip, but if that was the problem you would get an error code (EWS I think) and it would not crank.

The 12 vs 14 is just a size difference so the 12 should be able to get it started.

Could be a fuel issue, especially since it sat for so long. I would pull the plugs to see if fuel is getting into the cylinder. You can also listen for the fuel pump and idle air actuator when you turn the key on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Rod
    3 Days Ago
    I agree with Cramer. My bike sat for around 3-4 weeks while waiting for parts. After I finished the repair, the bike would crank, but not start. Turned out to be a lack of fuel. I primed the pump a few times (via switching the bike on, listening for fuel pump, turning it off, repeat...) and it started right up.

If the battery were an issue, you wouldn't even hear it crank. If you have a voltmeter handy, you could test it if you really wanted by attaching the leads to the battery posts and checking that the voltage doesn't drop below 10V while you attempt to start the bike (a friend would be handy here to help, since you will need at least 3 hands or test leads that can clip to the posts). A healthy battery will have a resting voltage of around 12.8 V or more. If it's below 12 V, it could be on its way out, but sometimes all it needs is a charge. But again, from your description, battery doesn't seem to be the issue here.

3 Weeks Ago
    Well I listened and no fuel pump noise. I am figuring it's all messed up from sitting. I sprayed a shot of starting fluid and yep it started. I am going to order a quantum fuel pump. I used them before on my VFR800. I am thinking its not that hard to change, or is it? Thanks

Real Name
    bever
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    let us know how you go with the fuel pump, cheers mate (((-;

Real Name
    David Kelly
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 FJR1300A
    Motorcycle
    '09 FE450
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by timc490310 View Post
    Well I listened and no fuel pump noise. I am figuring it's all messed up from sitting. I sprayed a shot of starting fluid and yep it started. I am going to order a quantum fuel pump. I used them before on my VFR800. I am thinking its not that hard to change, or is it? Thanks
    The fuel pump should only try to run for 15-30 seconds after the ignition is turned on. Then it should stop if engine is not running. This has been S.O.P. since engineering beat it into management's head that the electric fuel pump would damage itself running without fuel opening the manufacturer to class action lawsuits.

Internet folklore still falsely claims fuel pumps "overheat" if one allows the tank to go below 1/4. If the pump has enough fuel to keep the engine running then it has enough.
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A; 2016 Beta 430RS; 2007 BMW F800S; 2009 Husaberg FE450; 2016 Subaru Outback; 2018 F150; 2013 Tesla Model S 85; 1983 Porsche 928S; 9 cats 

3 Weeks Ago
    Got the fuel pump in and all is well. It fired up and I have just taken it out for a 10 miles ride. I need to check the air pressure because the triangle light is on. Man the crap that was all over the pump assembly and in the tank. I had flushed the tank 3 times to get the crude out but when I took the pump out I was able to get my hand in there and clean it out. The fuel gauge is showing empty, and I have probably 2-3 gallons in it. I will fill it up and maybe it will loosen up. The float was a little stiff when I put it back in. I poured Lucas fuel treatment on it after it was all cleaned. I am guessing the tire pressure will put the triangle light on, the tires were both low when I brought it home. I am ordering new tires.

11. Likes El Spicoli liked this post

3 Weeks Ago
    Update, the fuel gauge now works, I guess after it sat in fuel it loosened up. I am also thinking the batteries are dead in the tire pressure sensors. As I ride it has -- -- so it's not showing the fuel pressure.

Real Name
    Andrew
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Glad to hear the new fuel pump installation went well.

Can you share a bit of your experience? What type and model of fuel pump? What are some of the key aspects of removing and installation?

The next person in your position will appreciate your contribution!
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

3 Weeks Ago
    I used the quantum pump. Very easy removal. I removed the seat, tapped the ring a few times and loosened up by hand rest of the way. Theres 2 plugs to unplug and 2 screws holding the fuel line on. I have a tool that has a curve and used it to pry the pump and fuel line off. Having a helpful and knowledgeable neighbor we took pump apart , a few screws and I believe 1 wire. He took his time cleaning all the crud off the parts while I got the rest of the fuel out of the tank and got my hand in there with rags and cleaned it up. Don't forget the fuel sat in there for 10 years. I had put fresh fuel in a few times and siphoned it out trying to get all the crud out. I am glad I took out the pump. I sprayed starting fluid in the opening and wiped that out as well. Looked real clean then. The only problem we could see was the float did not move real easy. I poured some Lucas fuel treatment on the dial and any moving parts. Reinstalled, added premium gas,about 2 gallons. Primed the injectors a few times and bingo. It started, stalled started stalled then it was fine. I rode it about 10 miles, added more fuel and my helpful neighbor rode it about 20. Still it showed the gas gauge was empty. I filled it up and after sitting for 2 days the gauge now works. I am going to keep an eye on it just to be sure. Google quantum fuel pumps, I bought a fuel filter set for my VFR800 and it was perfect. I ordered the complete kit for the f800.
    https://www.highflowfuel.com/quantum...s-16148556074/ . It was 90.00

1 Day Ago
    Be aware that the F800 has a rather interesting take on how a fuel gauge should work. It won't change until its halfway empty. That's by design.