BMW F800 Forum banner

F650gs vs 1200gs

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  tnfiddler 
#1 ·
I can't decide about getting a bigger bike. I bought the 09F650GS last year and really like it. However, I have the itch to go with the larger 1200. There is a 2012 GS 1200 locally that looks great. Even though it's pushing 70k, it's a one owner with all service records. For those who have had both, what more would I be getting in the 1200. I do ride occasional gravel fire roads, the 1200 almost looks to nice for that. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I have a 2009 F650GS and also an R1200RS. I really like the 650 for all types of riding other than freeway travel. However, I have ridden an R1200GS for a short distance on the freeway and it is very comfortable and secure. But I have not ridden the big GS off road and my guess is that it would be too heavy for my light weight on loose gravel. If it is a recent model it will surely be reliable as well as being easier to resell and demand a much higher price in the used bike market, if that is a concern to you.

Reactions: tnfiddler
#4 ·
uncomfortable? not fast enough, unable to ride in comfort? i have a 700gs and luv it as an all rounder, it`ll 120 kmh happily all day and overtake quickly when asked and better than me in the dirt, i think alot of egos are proped up by the bigger bikes, but it`s horses for courses, luv their motors and alot of 2 up riding may be better with the 1200. both would be nice (((-;

#7 ·
See if you can hire one, or get an extended test ride, that should help you decide if its right for you.

If you're 90% sure buy one (as a 2nd bike, if funds allow) and see how it goes - if it works sell your 650, if not sell the 1200. You won't lose money in a market like this over a short time period.

#8 ·
I have a f800gs and r1250gsa. I love them both. The only thing similar is the BMW logo on the side. My philosophy is the right tool for the job. Both do road and dirt well. The 800 better in more technical dirt riding and the 1250 better long touring. To me they are not comparable.. I'm getting ready to ride the continental divide trail this summer, the tool for the job will be the 800.

#9 ·
i have both an 2011 F650/800 and an 08 1200GS. I love them both, was going to sell the 1200 when I bought the 800 but every time I ride the big bike I love it too much to sell. Get back on the 800 and love that too. So at this stage I will keep them both. To be picky some say the seat on the 800 is hard but I don't find that even after 6 hours riding. To separate the two I would say if I was riding largely on freeways, at higher speeds I would go for the 1200, excluding that the 800 is just fine for everything. If riding dirt I would say the 800 is more maneuverable and quite a bit lighter if it ever tipped over. Both great bikes and both have been very reliable.

#10 ·
I did a 3 hour round trip today in east Tennessee and rode "the snake" us 421. I'm 6'1" , and after awhile I feel like my legs are bent too much. Does the 1200 allow your legs to straighten out a little more?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.