Best 20W50 Oil for F800GT? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry



Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Points: 8,402, Level: 63

    Real Name
    Mike Southwood
    Location
    Georgetown, Ontario
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Online
    3 Weeks Ago
    Posts
    29 / 0 / 0 / 0
    For you Canadian GT owners, what's the latest, best 20W50 oil to be using on an F800GT? Or what viscosity do you use? Synthetic or not.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Points: 9,165, Level: 66

    Location
    NA
    Joined
    Feb 2013
    Online
    4 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,436 / 0 / 0 / 12
    Oh Boy! An oil thread.
    07 F800 ST 

  4. Likes IanA liked this post
  5. #3
    Points: 11,128, Level: 72

    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    1,187 / 0 / 2 / 32
    Quote Originally Posted by f800STDUDE View Post
    For you Canadian GT owners, what's the latest, best 20W50 oil to be using on an F800GT? Or what viscosity do you use? Synthetic or not.
    IIRC synthetic is what should be used regardless of the oil weight.

    Check what the BMW dealership recommend as they do update the oil recommendation as time goes on.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements
     

  7. #4
    bmwroadsterca's Avatar
    Points: 12,997, Level: 78

    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Online
    Posts
    363 / 0 / 0 / 7
    Use whatever meets the specs. Oil concerns are a thing of the past. No one has ever posted an engine component failure traceable to the type of oil they used and these engines have been around for 14 years.

  8. Likes Richard230, lateral_G liked this post
  9. #5
    Points: 20,946, Level: 99

    Location
    Garstang, Lancashire, UK
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Online
    1 Day Ago
    Posts
    1,642 / 4 / 64 / 286
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Suggest you keep it simple and use oil with viscosity and specs as listed in Tech Data section towards rear of BMW user manual.
    For my uk based GT the listed viscosity is 15W-50.

  10. Likes lateral_G liked this post
  11. #6
    Runmyownlife's Avatar
    Points: 17,439, Level: 91

    Real Name
    Andrew
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Online
    12 Hours Ago
    Posts
    1,183 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I second what BMWROADSTERCA says. Follow the specs. Beyond that you are fulfilling your own needs. For some folks that's the satisfaction of economy and others that's the pursuit of which ever marketing department has created the most perceived desirable product.


    Not to say all oils are created equal; they certainly are not. For the use case of most/all F800 models, any brand full synthetic will satisfy engine and clutch requirements.

    This thread is a good indication of how forum members have grown in their understanding of oil. In years past, there would be endless posts arguing the virtues of brand A over brand B. Now, we are older and wiser.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

  12. Likes bmwroadsterca, Randyjaco, lateral_G, IanA liked this post
  13. #7
    Daboo's Avatar
    Points: 71,364, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Chris
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Online
    Posts
    4,851 / 0 / 9 / 3
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I was going to ask how many years this thread has been around, then noticed it just started. All kidding aside, the OP asked a serious question, so I'll respond.

    The guidelines I've heard are to not use any kind of "Energy Conserving" oil because it has additives that could cause your clutch to slip. Will it? I'm too cheap to want to find out and pay the price if that is true. What I've seen mentioned is to look for an oil that has a JASO or JASO M2 designation on the label. Supposedly, that means it is suitable for motorcycles.

    Here's where I'll differ with many others. I think viscosity is less important now than when the bikes were made. When the bikes were made, you had far less choices for viscosities. Now, the oil viscosities are going much lower and engines are doing fine with that. On my first motorcycle forum I got involved with, all the "experts" recommended Shell Rotella T6 synthetic, or Shell Rotella T4 conventional. The T6 came only in a 5W-40 weight. Now they have another heavier weight. I've tried it and it makes no difference that I can tell. The Shell Rotella T4 comes in a 15W-40 weight.

    I'll pass 69,000 miles in a couple weeks on my GT. It's been ridden in below freezing weather, and for hours and hours at 110+F. It still uses no oil, and runs incredibly smooth. With only one exception to try the T6 in the heavier weight, I've always used Rotella T6 5W-40.

    Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

    John 14:6 

  14. #8
    Points: 13,094, Level: 78

    Location
    Camp Springs, KY USA
    Joined
    Jan 2019
    Online
    14 Hours Ago
    Posts
    449 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Shell Rotella T6 in the 15W-40 flavor for me in all my bikes....and no aftermarket additives. We have a Suzuki Savage member in Texas with 212,000 miles on his single cylinder engine....that is a pretty good testimony!

  15. Likes lateral_G liked this post
  16. #9
    Points: 2,186, Level: 29

    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Joined
    Mar 2019
    Online
    3 Days Ago
    Posts
    103 / 0 / 0 / 0
    The important certification for your oil is JASO MA2, as this indicates that it's tested for bike clutches. Other oil might work too, in fact, there is a gentleman on the german F800 forums who uses 10W-40 car oil from a hardware shop with added teflon and changes it about every 30k km I believe. So that COULD work for you too.
    But if you want something that's guaranteed to work, get the BMW Advantec stuff that they recommend for your country. Germany currently gets 10W-40 Canada is colder, so maybe you guys get 5W-40? BMW used to recommend Castrol Power1 4T 15W-50 JASO MA2 certified oil until they started their in house brand. I called Munich and asked about this, and the guy on the phone told me Advantec 10W-40 is what they would sell me, but the partially synthetic Power1 15W-50 is what they had been recommending for years for this engine.

  17. #10
    Points: 3,481, Level: 38

    Real Name
    Jim
    Location
    Middle Maryland
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Online
    6 Days Ago
    Posts
    173 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Runmyownlife View Post
    This thread is a good indication of how forum members have grown in their understanding of oil. In years past, there would be endless posts arguing the virtues of brand A over brand B. Now, we are older and wiser.
    Older, yes. I question the "wiser" part ...
    LIFE IS A JOURNEY THAT IS GUIDED BY A GARMIN MOTORCYCLE GPS - IT WILL NEVER GO WHERE YOU EXPECT OR WANT IT TO GO. 

  18. Likes Runmyownlife liked this post
  19. #11
    tvbilld's Avatar
    Points: 6,840, Level: 57

    Real Name
    Bill Darter
    Location
    Springfield Missouri
    Joined
    Nov 2012
    Online
    5 Hours Ago
    Posts
    120 / 0 / 0 / 13
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Have used Shell Rotella T3 Then T4 15w40 for the last 80K miles My 08 F800ST appears to be happy with it. Don't add any oil between changes. Last 8 years have averaged 10K miles a year. Bought a used 2015 Can Am Spyder First oil change on Spyder went with Rotella T6 so the F800 won't be getting as many miles in coming years. The things we have to do when we get old & feeble.

  20. Likes 308bever liked this post
  21. #12
    Daboo's Avatar
    Points: 71,364, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Chris
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Online
    Posts
    4,851 / 0 / 9 / 3
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Wow! The F800ST is heavy enough that it can be a handful when it tips over. But a Can Am would be really hard to get upright again if it tipped over.

    Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

    John 14:6 

  22. Likes tvbilld liked this post
  23. #13
    Sundog52's Avatar
    Points: 8,327, Level: 63

    Real Name
    Geoff
    Location
    Birmingham in Alabama
    Joined
    Jul 2016
    Online
    2 Weeks Ago
    Posts
    428 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    Quote Originally Posted by tengu View Post
    The important certification for your oil is JASO MA2, as this indicates that it's tested for bike clutches. Other oil might work too, in fact, there is a gentleman on the german F800 forums who uses 10W-40 car oil from a hardware shop with added teflon and changes it about every 30k km I believe. So that COULD work for you too.
    But if you want something that's guaranteed to work, get the BMW Advantec stuff that they recommend for your country. Germany currently gets 10W-40 Canada is colder, so maybe you guys get 5W-40? BMW used to recommend Castrol Power1 4T 15W-50 JASO MA2 certified oil until they started their in house brand. I called Munich and asked about this, and the guy on the phone told me Advantec 10W-40 is what they would sell me, but the partially synthetic Power1 15W-50 is what they had been recommending for years for this engine.
    I concur:

    Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W50 API SL and JASO-MA2 (Amazon)
    or
    Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W50 API SL and JASO-MA2
    (They are both the same oil. Power 1 is the European version.
    Power RS is the US version. "RS" stands for "Reduced Slippage".)
    Sundog 

  24. #14
    Womble's Avatar
    Points: 6,292, Level: 54

    Real Name
    Adrian
    Location
    Broadchurch/Casterbridge
    Joined
    Mar 2017
    Online
    1 Week Ago
    Posts
    234 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Oh no, I missed out on this one, always love an oil question 🙂

    Walmart (ASDA for us UK types) Sunflower Oil works great…







    But only for chips and frying bacon 😂

  25. #15
    Richard230's Avatar
    Points: 267,989, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Richard
    Location
    Pacifica, California
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Online
    1 Hour Ago
    Posts
    10,353 / 15 / 698 / 2031
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Oh no, I missed out on this one, always love an oil question 🙂

    Walmart (ASDA for us UK types) Sunflower Oil works great…







    But only for chips and frying bacon 😂
    How about bean oil? But I agree that running bacon drippings (top cylinder oil?) in your engine makes the exhaust smell great.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

  26. #16
    Dalesman's Avatar
    Points: 1,154, Level: 19

    Real Name
    Phil
    Location
    Yorkshire Dales, UK
    Joined
    Oct 2020
    Online
    5 Hours Ago
    Posts
    157 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Two of the main non-BMW BMW companies in the UK - Nippy Normans and Motorworks - list Castrol Power1 4T 15/50 semi-skimmed for the F engines.
    I won't buy Advantec on principle - it's a rip off. And it's only sold in 1l bottles. The Castrol is widely available at competitive, non-monopolistic prices here in the UK.

  27. #17
    Lag's Avatar
    Points: 6,563, Level: 56

    Real Name
    Lyle
    Location
    Whiterock British Columbi
    Joined
    Apr 2019
    Online
    9 Hours Ago
    Posts
    665 / 0 / 0 / 0
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Price has been inching up on the Advantec, however it used to be fairly competitive with most other products on the market, some a little less and some a little more,,. I may review this prior to next oil change,,.

    The one product thats a standout & quite popular among the ADV crowd are the Shell Rotella oils, I wonder if its the same dam oil,,.

    BMW’s ADVANTEC from Shell
    Shell has been chosen by BMW AG as its only recommended global supplier for factory-fill and aftermarket engine oils for BMW Motorrad. From the start of 2015, Shell will produce and supply BMW’s branded engine oils available to customers at BMW Group’s network of more than 3,500 dealers, in more than 140 countries. These products will meet the latest BMW engine specifications and are underpinned by Shell’s PurePlus Technology.


    SHELL ROTELLA® T6 FULL SYNTHETIC
    Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic Diesel Oil provides excellent protection against harmful engine wear and sludge. Count on Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic, 15W-40, 5W-40 and 0W-40 synthetic diesel engine oil for:

    Compatibility with exhaust emissions control systems
    Protection in extreme operating temperatures
    Fuel economy performance

  28. #18
    Richard230's Avatar
    Points: 267,989, Level: 100

    Real Name
    Richard
    Location
    Pacifica, California
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    Online
    1 Hour Ago
    Posts
    10,353 / 15 / 698 / 2031
    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    Price has been inching up on the Advantec, however it used to be fairly competitive with most other products on the market, some a little less and some a little more,,. I may review this prior to next oil change,,.

    The one product thats a standout & quite popular among the ADV crowd are the Shell Rotella oils, I wonder if its the same dam oil,,.

    BMW’s ADVANTEC from Shell
    Shell has been chosen by BMW AG as its only recommended global supplier for factory-fill and aftermarket engine oils for BMW Motorrad. From the start of 2015, Shell will produce and supply BMW’s branded engine oils available to customers at BMW Group’s network of more than 3,500 dealers, in more than 140 countries. These products will meet the latest BMW engine specifications and are underpinned by Shell’s PurePlus Technology.


    SHELL ROTELLA® T6 FULL SYNTHETIC
    Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic Diesel Oil provides excellent protection against harmful engine wear and sludge. Count on Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic, 15W-40, 5W-40 and 0W-40 synthetic diesel engine oil for:

    Compatibility with exhaust emissions control systems
    Protection in extreme operating temperatures
    Fuel economy performance

    It sure looks like the same oil to me. I run Rotella T6 in my R1200RS and is seems to work just fine at about 1/4 the price of ADVANTEC. They are both rated to meet JASO MA2 specifications as called for by BMW. That ADVANTEC stuff is so expensive when bought at a BMW shop, the factory must be getting a kickback on every liter they sell to us suckers.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

  29. #19
    bmwroadsterca's Avatar
    Points: 12,997, Level: 78

    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Online
    Posts
    363 / 0 / 0 / 7
    Oil concerns are highly exaggerated. Just buy a name brand that meets the specs and worry not. Don't fall for marketing hype nor the commercial arrangement that BMW made with whoever it is this year.

    Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

  30. Likes Ajaay liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •