BMW F800 Forum banner

Best 20W50 Oil for F800GT?

4K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  bmwroadsterca 
#1 ·
For you Canadian GT owners, what's the latest, best 20W50 oil to be using on an F800GT? Or what viscosity do you use? Synthetic or not.

#6 ·
I second what BMWROADSTERCA says. Follow the specs. Beyond that you are fulfilling your own needs. For some folks that's the satisfaction of economy and others that's the pursuit of which ever marketing department has created the most perceived desirable product.

Not to say all oils are created equal; they certainly are not. For the use case of most/all F800 models, any brand full synthetic will satisfy engine and clutch requirements.

This thread is a good indication of how forum members have grown in their understanding of oil. In years past, there would be endless posts arguing the virtues of brand A over brand B. Now, we are older and wiser. [:)]

#10 ·
This thread is a good indication of how forum members have grown in their understanding of oil. In years past, there would be endless posts arguing the virtues of brand A over brand B. Now, we are older and wiser. [:)]
Older, yes. I question the "wiser" part ... :)

Reactions: Runmyownlife
#7 ·
I was going to ask how many years this thread has been around, then noticed it just started. All kidding aside, the OP asked a serious question, so I'll respond.

The guidelines I've heard are to not use any kind of "Energy Conserving" oil because it has additives that could cause your clutch to slip. Will it? I'm too cheap to want to find out and pay the price if that is true. What I've seen mentioned is to look for an oil that has a JASO or JASO M2 designation on the label. Supposedly, that means it is suitable for motorcycles.

Here's where I'll differ with many others. I think viscosity is less important now than when the bikes were made. When the bikes were made, you had far less choices for viscosities. Now, the oil viscosities are going much lower and engines are doing fine with that. On my first motorcycle forum I got involved with, all the "experts" recommended Shell Rotella T6 synthetic, or Shell Rotella T4 conventional. The T6 came only in a 5W-40 weight. Now they have another heavier weight. I've tried it and it makes no difference that I can tell. The Shell Rotella T4 comes in a 15W-40 weight.

I'll pass 69,000 miles in a couple weeks on my GT. It's been ridden in below freezing weather, and for hours and hours at 110+F. It still uses no oil, and runs incredibly smooth. With only one exception to try the T6 in the heavier weight, I've always used Rotella T6 5W-40.

Chris

#9 ·
The important certification for your oil is JASO MA2, as this indicates that it's tested for bike clutches. Other oil might work too, in fact, there is a gentleman on the german F800 forums who uses 10W-40 car oil from a hardware shop with added teflon and changes it about every 30k km I believe. So that COULD work for you too.
But if you want something that's guaranteed to work, get the BMW Advantec stuff that they recommend for your country. Germany currently gets 10W-40 Canada is colder, so maybe you guys get 5W-40? BMW used to recommend Castrol Power1 4T 15W-50 JASO MA2 certified oil until they started their in house brand. I called Munich and asked about this, and the guy on the phone told me Advantec 10W-40 is what they would sell me, but the partially synthetic Power1 15W-50 is what they had been recommending for years for this engine.

#13 ·
I concur:

Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W50 API SL and JASO-MA2 (Amazon)
or
Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W50 API SL and JASO-MA2
(They are both the same oil. Power 1 is the European version.
Power RS is the US version. "RS" stands for "Reduced Slippage".)

#11 ·
Have used Shell Rotella T3 Then T4 15w40 for the last 80K miles My 08 F800ST appears to be happy with it. Don't add any oil between changes. Last 8 years have averaged 10K miles a year. Bought a used 2015 Can Am Spyder First oil change on Spyder went with Rotella T6 so the F800 won't be getting as many miles in coming years. The things we have to do when we get old & feeble.

#15 ·
Oh no, I missed out on this one, always love an oil question 🙂

Walmart (ASDA for us UK types) Sunflower Oil works great…

But only for chips and frying bacon 😂
How about bean oil? But I agree that running bacon drippings (top cylinder oil?) in your engine makes the exhaust smell great.

#16 ·
Two of the main non-BMW BMW companies in the UK - Nippy Normans and Motorworks - list Castrol Power1 4T 15/50 semi-skimmed for the F engines.
I won't buy Advantec on principle - it's a rip off. And it's only sold in 1l bottles. The Castrol is widely available at competitive, non-monopolistic prices here in the UK.

#17 ·
Price has been inching up on the Advantec, however it used to be fairly competitive with most other products on the market, some a little less and some a little more,,. I may review this prior to next oil change,,.

The one product thats a standout & quite popular among the ADV crowd are the Shell Rotella oils, I wonder if its the same dam oil,,.

BMW's ADVANTEC from Shell
Shell has been chosen by BMW AG as its only recommended global supplier for factory-fill and aftermarket engine oils for BMW Motorrad. From the start of 2015, Shell will produce and supply BMW's branded engine oils available to customers at BMW Group's network of more than 3,500 dealers, in more than 140 countries. These products will meet the latest BMW engine specifications and are underpinned by Shell's PurePlus Technology.

SHELL ROTELLA® T6 FULL SYNTHETIC
Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic Diesel Oil provides excellent protection against harmful engine wear and sludge. Count on Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic, 15W-40, 5W-40 and 0W-40 synthetic diesel engine oil for:

Compatibility with exhaust emissions control systems
Protection in extreme operating temperatures
Fuel economy performance

#18 ·
It sure looks like the same oil to me. I run Rotella T6 in my R1200RS and is seems to work just fine at about 1/4 the price of ADVANTEC. They are both rated to meet JASO MA2 specifications as called for by BMW. That ADVANTEC stuff is so expensive when bought at a BMW shop, the factory must be getting a kickback on every liter they sell to us suckers. :rolleyes:

#19 ·
Oil concerns are highly exaggerated. Just buy a name brand that meets the specs and worry not. Don't fall for marketing hype nor the commercial arrangement that BMW made with whoever it is this year.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ajaay
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.