Noob asking for help about shifts and stall - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

06-12-21
    Hello from Spain!!

My name´s Fran and I bought last month an F800ST ´06 with 55.000 km, and after a slight tune-up, this weekend I had test it.

On the road, the motorcycle goes very very smooth, with poise and security, but in the city I have noticed a couple of things that I don´t know if they are normal, and the guy who sold it to me, told me that here, I would find the answers to ALL my questions. Well, ther we go!

1. Shifts sound when they come in i.e from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, these in town, but they don't sound when I downshift.
    And when I mean that they sound, it is not a slight click, it is rather a typical clack of a single-cylinder motorcycle. A neighbour with the same bike told me his bike sounds too, but i don´t know if his sounds as much as this. ¿Is that ``clack´´ normal?

2. Today I made an 150 km route, and when i arrived to my city, downshifting to get into a roundabout, the bike stalled. I thought that maybe it was my fault, so i push the start button (cause i cannot stopped properly to turn off the key, and turn on with make all the check) and continue. Well, after 250 meters, the bike stalled again. And there, the start doesn´t works, but i can turn off, and turn on with the key and make all checks with the proper security. I have been reading in spanish forums, where the solutions pass through the temperature in summer, the constant speed in a long way route, the change of the idle intake valve, the bomb, all the intake system, or put a boost system.... but nothing is clear, and i´m afraid that de BMW Official Service has the same knowledge about this problem that internet forums (as i read), which means a lot of repairs (paid by me....) until magically the problem disappears...

The last owner, told me today, that before to go to the BMW Service i could try to make a switchboard´s reset that is made opening 5 times gas throttle in the check, or something like that, but i do not find out the instructions of how to do that.

Could you help me, please??? Thank you for your readings and for your help!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Welcome! Hola. Sorry to hear about your stalling issue.

Before we offer suggestions, what exactly did the "slight tune-up" consist of? Sometimes we are responsible for our own problems.

When trouble shooting a problem I work from easiest and cheapest to most difficult and expensive.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

06-12-21
    The slight tune up was change the front suspension seals, and fix some scratches and rubs, nothing related to the engine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Day Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Frandragon View Post
    ¿Is that ``clack´´ normal?
    Yes. Mine isn't just a clack, its a fairly loud CLUNK. That's the way these are. It can be adjusted by getting a heavier motor oil. New oil tends to shift better and quieter imo. Old oil leads to a finicky gearbox and louder noises.
    ...until magically the problem disappears...
    Yes. That's unfortunately the way it is. For some, its the throttle potentiometer next to the throttle valves. Others get it fixed by getting new rubber seals between throttle bodies and airbox. Another possible fault is idle hoses between idle set servo and throttle bodies. For some, it never actually seems to go away. Some fix it by getting abooster plug whcih richens up the fuel mixture, this can however mean that you will fail exhaust gas tests if they are part of your roadworthiness certification process.

The last owner, told me today, that before to go to the BMW Service i could try to make a switchboard´s reset that is made opening 5 times gas throttle in the check, or something like that, but i do not find out the instructions of how to do that.
    This is a myth and does nothing.

7. Likes Frandragon liked this post

06-12-21
    First of all i apreciatte extremely your words, they calm me down about this cause i thought i have a serious problem with my bike.

About this:

Quote Originally Posted by tengu View Post
    Yes. That's unfortunately the way it is. For some, its the throttle potentiometer next to the throttle valves. Others get it fixed by getting new rubber seals between throttle bodies and airbox. Another possible fault is idle hoses between idle set servo and throttle bodies. For some, it never actually seems to go away. Some fix it by getting abooster plug whcih richens up the fuel mixture, this can however mean that you will fail exhaust gas tests if they are part of your roadworthiness certification process.
    What do you recomend me to do??? Should i do something for that, or just deal with it??

Quote Originally Posted by tengu View Post
    This is a myth and does nothing.
    When the guy told me about that reset, it sounds for me like a voodoo rithual and i thought it could be a myth, ( cause i thought that it´s easy for the brand make all resets and checks with the computer than open throttle 5 times when turn on, and repeat 5 times, or whatever...) but your words confirms my thoughts.

Once again, thank you very much for your words!!

1 Day Ago
    First of all i apreciatte extremely your words, they calm me down about this cause i thought i have a serious problem with my bike.
    have you checked where your drive belt rides and how the rear axle is holding up? because that's a 1000€ worth of parts and labor if the "recall" has been done.
    Another rare fault is the cam chain guide rails going kaputt, resulting in the cam chain jumping teeth on the cam wheels. You can guess what that does to the valves.

What do you recomend me to do??? Should i do something for that, or just deal with it??
    As a dying engine in a corner is something that is not that good for your health, I'd recommend you start checking bits and pieces. Start with the idle valve hoses. If they have a seam going down the center of the tube form the outside - those are new ones and are already replaced. Next step is taking out the throttle body seals to the rest of the engine, as those can get fissures over time. The throttle body potentiometer is not something you can do yourself, I believe. That's a BMW Dealership job. That said, mine does the same at comepletely arbitrary moments and I can't be bothered to fix it. For some, just taking the stepper motor out of the airbox and cleaning it is enough. I believe the BMW also has an updated firmware for the bike if you run in to this problem. I've also heard of one guy that got specific injjectors because he believed the engine was fuel starved on one cylinder in specific circumstances, but iirc, it didn't solve the issue for him.
    Some have theorized that it might by the lambda sensor that deteriorates over the years. Thats the cable that goes in to the exhaust in front of the rear wheel. I don't think anyone has tried switching that, though. Most of the american/british members of this forum seem to just get a booster plug and call it a day.

Whatever you do, don't mess with the throttle screws. the throttles for this bike are factory flow tested and set accordingly. Because of the idle mechanism, they are EXTREMELY difficult to resync.

When the guy told me about that reset, it sounds for me like a voodoo rithual and i thought it could be a myth, ( cause i thought that it´s easy for the brand make all resets and checks with the computer than open throttle 5 times when turn on, and repeat 5 times, or whatever...) but your words confirms my thoughts.

Once again, thank you very much for your words!!
    no problem. It might have worked on other bikes, but to my knowledge, it doesn't work on this one. Idle is not determined by the positioning of your throttle at all, the idle system completely bypasses your input - that's how BMW solved cable throttle with an injection bike in this case. It's unique in this way, as the R1200 of the time used the throttle valve to set idle and then adjusted it with a secondary airflow system, but the F800 engines exclusively use a throttle valve bypass to feed the engine air for this. It isn't really necessary to do something this complicated with electric throttles anymore.

Oh, and do note: You can order a Contitech CTAM1158 from Germany or from ebay instead of paying 430€ for a BMW belt, once your's goes on the fritz. They do eventually die.

2 Hours Ago
    My ‘07st sometimes does the ‘clunk’ when going into 1st gear from neutral. I always figured it was the belt drive picking up the slack, as I keep the belt a wee bit loose.
    Also once in a while the bike will die when stopping at a light. Always starts right up. It will do this a few times, then will not do it again for a year or two. Never figured it out.
    Hope your problems sort themselves out.
    07 F800 ST 

11. Likes Frandragon liked this post

17 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F 800 ST
    @Frandragon, my 2010 F800ST did the same stalling thing when coasting. Here's what I did to troubleshoot it: https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...and-stuttering

Long story short, I'd recommend checking for faults with Motoscan + OBDLink or a GS-911 tool. If my suspicion is correct, since your bike is also fairly old and has a lot of kilometers on the odometer, it's probably a fuel pump issue. But better confirm before removing/replacing parts.

13. Likes Frandragon liked this post