Headlight issues - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    Help, i keep on blowing headlight bulbs due to vibration on my 2010 800R. I can fit an LED version but these come with LAMP on my screen as the system thinks i have blown the bulb. Standard bulbs dont last anytime and i am sure its down to vibration. Not sure if this is a common problem. I have fitted thin rubber washers between headlight unit and the mounting bracket but this has not helped

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave
    1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Has the bulb "blown" or has the lamp filament broken?
    I would check the battery voltage to make sure its ok.
    If high when the bike is running >15V then the bulb wont last long.
    This would overcharge the battery as well.
    If high then the rectifier/regulator could have failed.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    The lamp filament is broken. I am 99.9% sure its due to vibration as an LED is fine and operates good however i have LAMP on the display screen. Anytime i fit a conventional bulb the filament will break within 20-30 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

9 Hours Ago
    If you've had a few go in succession check the charging output of the RR/Stator. When the system overcharges it'll take out the headlight bulbs (had this happen in a car due to the same reason).

Otherwise, i would ensure you use Branded Bulbs (if not already) Osram, Philips, Bosch etc. I've had the same bulb in for nearly 2 years in my ST and covered circa 20k miles in that time period.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    It was a common problem on the 800gs too, LED bulbs were the best fix. There are plenty of LED options that don't throw codes, just look for ones that specifically say they are CANbus compliant for LAMP errors.

Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    It was a common problem on the 800gs too, LED bulbs were the best fix. There are plenty of LED options that don't throw codes, just look for ones that specifically say they are CANbus compliant for LAMP errors.
    While recognizing that the use of the term CAN-bus in this context is totally erroneous. A popular misconception reinforced by vendors.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    I tried this last night with a multimeter connected to the battery, when revving approx 4-5k the multimeter was reading around 13.5 - 14v so i think the regulator is working fine. I have installed additional rubber washers between the light and light frame and a new philips bulb so will see what happens tmw when i bike to work

Real Name
    Dave
    1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Those voltages are fine.
    Philips and Osram make a "rough service bulb" or a "moto" bulb that is supposed to resist vibration.
    Having said that the bulb should last between 200 and 500 hours (6,000 miles to 15,000 miles at an average of 30mph).
    Mine do - so whats causing the vibration?
    Is is worse than standard? Has the fairing been modified or repaired? Has a rubber mount been removed??
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    While recognizing that the use of the term CAN-bus in this context is totally erroneous. A popular misconception reinforced by vendors.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Don't care, specifically because it's what's specified when buying the part (it's not going to say ZFE), and confusing the guy isn't going to help anyone. Was I inaccurate in the way I described how to find the product listing?

I'm not sure what's more obnoxious, people that misuse words or the people that just can't let it go. *There about equal - see what I did there

12. Likes DJ123, petespace1 liked this post

6 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by SG1974 View Post
    I tried this last night with a multimeter connected to the battery, when revving approx 4-5k the multimeter was reading around 13.5 - 14v so i think the regulator is working fine. I have installed additional rubber washers between the light and light frame and a new philips bulb so will see what happens tmw when i bike to work
    Did you check the voltage whilst riding the bike? If not try it as the voltage is fine for 5/10 mins riding (variable) and then spikes and blows the bulb. It also flases the abs light and the speedo needles stop briefly.

Real Name
    Noel
    23 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Efin8r View Post
    Did you check the voltage whilst riding the bike? If not try it as the voltage is fine for 5/10 mins riding (variable) and then spikes and blows the bulb. It also flases the abs light and the speedo needles stop briefly.
    Had a similar problem with my F800ST , blew two headlamp bulbs in the space of about 3 weeks and concluded it was Regulator /Rectifier problem. I could ride for about 10 minutes each time before it blew with lamp running from start up.
    Checked voltage and yes, it had spikes over 15 volts, replaced with Mosfet type R/R before Christmas last year and no problems since
    Unless you have serious vibration or very poor quality bulbs I would still be suspicious of over -voltage spikes