Would you buy: 2015 with 37k miles nearby, or 2015 with 14k miles across the country? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Minute Ago
    I've always bought low-mileage bikes. I am usually a weekend-warrior at best, and find I can re-sell to get out fairly easily when I want to change bikes.

37k miles has everything I want in the color I want, but is not very pretty. 14k mile bike is across the country, but is pristine and pretty.

It would take me 3-4 years to put 23k miles on a bike, and I'd likely sell before then. is it worth the $ and hassle to chase the lower-miles-bike? Transport of 1600 miles a $700 fee. Price on lower mileage bike is $500 higher than local bike with miles and some abuse.

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Lonnie
    7 Hours Ago
    " 14k mile bike is across the country, but is pristine and pretty."

based on the info, this -
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800GT
    Just listed my Blue 2015 F800GT. Check the classifieds.
    2015 F800GT 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeDee View Post
    Just listed my Blue 2015 F800GT. Check the classifieds.
    Thanks, I'm in SoCal, so that would be even more of a trek.

" 14k mile bike is across the country, but is pristine and pretty."

based on the info, this

Ha, illogical but the way I'm leaning at the moment. Thanks for input.

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey895 View Post
    I've always bought low-mileage bikes. I am usually a weekend-warrior at best, and find I can re-sell to get out fairly easily when I want to change bikes.

37k miles has everything I want in the color I want, but is not very pretty. 14k mile bike is across the country, but is pristine and pretty.

It would take me 3-4 years to put 23k miles on a bike, and I'd likely sell before then. is it worth the $ and hassle to chase the lower-miles-bike? Transport of 1600 miles a $700 fee. Price on lower mileage bike is $500 higher than local bike with miles and some abuse.

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers.
    lower mileage bike is $1200 higher if i am reading that right? Depending on the cost of the higher mileage is it a large percentage of difference.

In what way is the higher mileage bike no so pretty? Cosmetics can be cleaned up fairly easy & cheaply. Personally, i prefer a higher mileage bike as from 2015 37k miles is only 6k a year/500 miles a month. With a low mileage bike my concern is how long has it been sat around & have any services been skipped/issues left as the bike is not ridden much.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBailey895 View Post
    I've always bought low-mileage bikes.......I can re-sell to get out fairly easily when I want to change bikes.

It would take me 3-4 years to put 23k miles on a bike, and I'd likely sell before then. Price on lower mileage bike is $500 higher than local bike with miles and some abuse.

So if you bought the local bike - in 3-4 years you will be trying to sell a bike with 60,000 miles on it (not an easy sell)......or a bike in better shape with 37,000 miles (a bit easier).

I think a bit more information would be helpful. What are the actual prices, are they both GT's?

In my attempts to find the "right" bike for me I have always bought bikes with low mileage affordably - and sold them while they still had relatively low mileage (10,000-15,000 miles). In most instances I have been able to own them for a couple of years and sell for what I paid (the Honda NT700 was the exception). In the area where I live it would be very difficult to sell an F800 with 60,000 miles.....even at a relatively low price. The used bike market where I live is pretty well saturated and you need to have something pretty unique to make a sale. A lot of Baby Boomers are selling off their bikes - not so many young folks are lining up to buy them.

9. Likes Daboo liked this post

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    So if you bought the local bike - in 3-4 years you will be trying to sell a bike with 60,000 miles on it (not an easy sell)......or a bike in better shape with 37,000 miles (a bit easier).

I think a bit more information would be helpful. What are the actual prices, are they both GT's?

In my attempts to find the "right" bike for me I have always bought bikes with low mileage affordably - and sold them while they still had relatively low mileage (10,000-15,000 miles). In most instances I have been able to own them for a couple of years and sell for what I paid (the Honda NT700 was the exception). In the area where I live it would be very difficult to sell an F800 with 60,000 miles.....even at a relatively low price. The used bike market where I live is pretty well saturated and you need to have something pretty unique to make a sale. A lot of Baby Boomers are selling off their bikes - not so many young folks are lining up to buy them.
    In 3-4 years the bikes will be knocking on 10 years old, mileage is pretty irrelevant at that age really as anyone looking is only after a cheap hack to ride. Not a machine in pristine condition.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

Real Name
    Dave
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    In the UK its cosmetics, low milage and service history.
    These days, in the uk, bikes are for Sundays not for life.
    Condition is everything.
    Which bike is best for you, on your side of the pond, is different.
    Higher milage bike with the cosmetics tidied up?
    Would it sell with 60,000 miles at 10 years old?
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

Real Name
    Richard
    5 Hours Ago
    Here are some general comments: Right now, used bikes are hot sellers as new bikes are hard to come-by due to shipping, distribution and manufacturing problems caused by the pandemic, which is good for the seller and bad for the buyer. Things may change a year from now. Something to think about.

JJ123 is right about mileage, at least that was the case for airheads. The low mileage ones tended to leak oil from various engine gaskets and the final drive. However, bikes that were ridden regularly and occasionally on long trips, seemed to be oil tight. I don't know if that is true of the oil and wet-head models. But one thing is for sure, it will be easier to get a newer model serviced at a BMW dealer than it will an older model, if that is a concern.

However, when it comes to BMW's I wouldn't worry much about the mileage as long as the owner can provide a verified service history. I think we all expect an F800 engine to last well over 100K miles, properly cared for. Certain chassis areas could be an issue on high-mileage models, though.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

1 Minute Ago
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm in Socal. The 37k mile bike is in Socal about 2 hrs away. I have not seen it in person/ridden it. $4.5k. The 14k mile bike is in Mississippi, 1600 miles away, for $5k. Shipping would be about $1k (I don't have time, or I'd fly and ride.)

2 Days Ago
    If the lower mileage bike was closer, for the small difference of $500 i'd say go for it. But to be 30% over the cost of the one with more miles i wouldn't say it's worth it, and spending 20% of the bikes value on shipping alone.

Real Name
    Richard
    5 Hours Ago
    Getting an out-of-state bike registered in California could be a bit of a hassle, too. So that is something to consider.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

1 Minute Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Getting an out-of-state bike registered in California could be a bit of a hassle, too. So that is something to consider.
    Thanks for the comment, I've used AAA before and not had a problem with out-of-state bikes, as long as they are 50 state bikes.)

Update: the "prettier" one is likely spoken-for, so will need to look closer at my other options.

8 Hours Ago
    If you are leaning toward the lower mileage bike you could think about a fly and ride. Do all your home work with the seller. Do a video call to look at the bike up close, get maintenance records, etc. I know many people that have done this and it works well.

For registration find out from the state exactly what is required. I have bought many out of state vehicles and have never had an issue. But I live in Colorado so the rules are different that California.

Also make sure you can verify the VIN# between the title/registration and the plate on the bike.

Another option to view the bike is query the forum and see if there is anyone close that is willing to take a look at the bike. I did that for a guy wanting to buy a used $20k Gold wing.

1 Hour Ago
    FWIW, there's a very low mileage GT FS in Phoenix...I've got no affiliation...

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...-GT-5016385454
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig. 

3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Would you be happy with a bike that's "not very pretty" or would you spend a fortune making it pretty. Accounting for such a spend, brings a lower mileage bike into the frame IMO
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

1 Minute Ago
    OK, sooo, lower-mileage bike across the country has sold. I got to check out the higher-mileage bike in a Facetime call tonight, looked pretty clean after all, just scuffs on all bags. I found a 2013 GT with 9k miles about 850 miles away for $6k, vs. 37.5mile bike for $4.5. I just might pull the trigger on high miles.

21. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Lonnie
    7 Hours Ago
    tough call for sure - i was lucky in that i got what i think may be the only the only GT in my area for what seems to be a steal - and i wasn't even looking for it !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

1 Minute Ago
    Ok, outta curiousity, what did ya pay for it? Three bags on a used bike are still worth probably a grand to me, although I'd probably only use the top box on extended trips.