BMW F800 Forum banner

Would you buy: 2015 with 37k miles nearby, or 2015 with 14k miles across the country?

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  JBailey895 
#1 ·
I've always bought low-mileage bikes. I am usually a weekend-warrior at best, and find I can re-sell to get out fairly easily when I want to change bikes.

37k miles has everything I want in the color I want, but is not very pretty. 14k mile bike is across the country, but is pristine and pretty.

It would take me 3-4 years to put 23k miles on a bike, and I'd likely sell before then. is it worth the $ and hassle to chase the lower-miles-bike? Transport of 1600 miles a $700 fee. Price on lower mileage bike is $500 higher than local bike with miles and some abuse.

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers.

#5 ·
I've always bought low-mileage bikes. I am usually a weekend-warrior at best, and find I can re-sell to get out fairly easily when I want to change bikes.

37k miles has everything I want in the color I want, but is not very pretty. 14k mile bike is across the country, but is pristine and pretty.

It would take me 3-4 years to put 23k miles on a bike, and I'd likely sell before then. is it worth the $ and hassle to chase the lower-miles-bike? Transport of 1600 miles a $700 fee. Price on lower mileage bike is $500 higher than local bike with miles and some abuse.

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers.
lower mileage bike is $1200 higher if i am reading that right? Depending on the cost of the higher mileage is it a large percentage of difference.

In what way is the higher mileage bike no so pretty? Cosmetics can be cleaned up fairly easy & cheaply. Personally, i prefer a higher mileage bike as from 2015 37k miles is only 6k a year/500 miles a month. With a low mileage bike my concern is how long has it been sat around & have any services been skipped/issues left as the bike is not ridden much.

#6 ·
I've always bought low-mileage bikes.......I can re-sell to get out fairly easily when I want to change bikes.

It would take me 3-4 years to put 23k miles on a bike, and I'd likely sell before then. Price on lower mileage bike is $500 higher than local bike with miles and some abuse.
So if you bought the local bike - in 3-4 years you will be trying to sell a bike with 60,000 miles on it (not an easy sell)......or a bike in better shape with 37,000 miles (a bit easier).

I think a bit more information would be helpful. What are the actual prices, are they both GT's?

In my attempts to find the "right" bike for me I have always bought bikes with low mileage affordably - and sold them while they still had relatively low mileage (10,000-15,000 miles). In most instances I have been able to own them for a couple of years and sell for what I paid (the Honda NT700 was the exception). In the area where I live it would be very difficult to sell an F800 with 60,000 miles.....even at a relatively low price. The used bike market where I live is pretty well saturated and you need to have something pretty unique to make a sale. A lot of Baby Boomers are selling off their bikes - not so many young folks are lining up to buy them.

#8 ·
In the UK its cosmetics, low milage and service history.
These days, in the uk, bikes are for Sundays not for life.
Condition is everything.
Which bike is best for you, on your side of the pond, is different.
Higher milage bike with the cosmetics tidied up?
Would it sell with 60,000 miles at 10 years old?

#9 ·
Here are some general comments: Right now, used bikes are hot sellers as new bikes are hard to come-by due to shipping, distribution and manufacturing problems caused by the pandemic, which is good for the seller and bad for the buyer. Things may change a year from now. Something to think about.

JJ123 is right about mileage, at least that was the case for airheads. The low mileage ones tended to leak oil from various engine gaskets and the final drive. However, bikes that were ridden regularly and occasionally on long trips, seemed to be oil tight. I don't know if that is true of the oil and wet-head models. But one thing is for sure, it will be easier to get a newer model serviced at a BMW dealer than it will an older model, if that is a concern.

However, when it comes to BMW's I wouldn't worry much about the mileage as long as the owner can provide a verified service history. I think we all expect an F800 engine to last well over 100K miles, properly cared for. Certain chassis areas could be an issue on high-mileage models, though. :confused:

#10 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm in Socal. The 37k mile bike is in Socal about 2 hrs away. I have not seen it in person/ridden it. $4.5k. The 14k mile bike is in Mississippi, 1600 miles away, for $5k. Shipping would be about $1k (I don't have time, or I'd fly and ride.)

#12 ·
Getting an out-of-state bike registered in California could be a bit of a hassle, too. So that is something to consider.

#14 ·
If you are leaning toward the lower mileage bike you could think about a fly and ride. Do all your home work with the seller. Do a video call to look at the bike up close, get maintenance records, etc. I know many people that have done this and it works well.

For registration find out from the state exactly what is required. I have bought many out of state vehicles and have never had an issue. But I live in Colorado so the rules are different that California.

Also make sure you can verify the VIN# between the title/registration and the plate on the bike.

Another option to view the bike is query the forum and see if there is anyone close that is willing to take a look at the bike. I did that for a guy wanting to buy a used $20k Gold wing.

#17 ·
OK, sooo, lower-mileage bike across the country has sold. I got to check out the higher-mileage bike in a Facetime call tonight, looked pretty clean after all, just scuffs on all bags. I found a 2013 GT with 9k miles about 850 miles away for $6k, vs. 37.5mile bike for $4.5. I just might pull the trigger on high miles.

#20 ·
... Three bags on a used bike are still worth probably a grand to me, although I'd probably only use the top box on extended trips.
Chances are you'll get the "three bags" on any bike you buy. AFAIK, those bags don't fit any other bike. So why keep them, except to try selling them on eBay?

The top case is rather small, so if you don't get it with the bike, you haven't lost much. It looks pretty, but won't hold much.

Chris

#22 ·
They were, but you'll find most bikes with them. Just keep looking.

Options like the bags don't increase the value of the bike. They only make the bike easier to sell. I bought my GT from a retired cardiologist who added $3000 of accessories to the bike, and sold it for less than the Kelley Blue Book.

Chris

#24 ·
I'll hit 69,000 miles (not kilometers) this weekend. My bike looks like it did when I bought it. It runs much smoother than when I bought it. Still doesn't use any oil.

Yet when I sell it, I'll price it very low because of the miles and someone will get a great deal. Not because it is new and unused, but because it is used and well maintained. ...And you can sell it for what you paid for it years and miles later.

There will be a lot of demand for bikes like this in the coming years. Riders are aging, and will be leaning toward bikes with low weight...but the capability of doing what they were able to do before. Mileage won't make as much of a difference as the condition of the bike. I'd much rather buy a bike with high mileage that was used for commuting, than a garage queen that was never ridden...or maintained. The commuter wanted something that wouldn't leave him stranded on the way to work or home. The owner of the garage queen was only interested in how well the paint was shiny.

I fully expect to hit 80,000 miles this year. I also fully expect my GT to act like that was nothing and continue to purr each time I start it.

Chris

#26 ·
It’s probably not really worth considering mileage as a decision point. Both are relatively fresh. I had an 800R that gave me 190,000km and the motor was still good. Only changed to an 800GSA because I didn’t want to spend the money on front brake rotors, fork seals and an upcoming clutch. The GSA is nearing 90,000km now, trouble free.

#29 ·
Yeah, I understand these bikes can go the distance, it just requires trust that the seller maintained the bike properly. Even a cosmetically pretty bike can be abused. I also agree that low mileage can mean rotten rubber, stale gas/oil issues, etc. When your budget is limited, you have to take calculated chances. I should also buy in winter instead of summer, but oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.