clutch cable with risers - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Lyle
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I've got 2" Rox risers and the original clutch cable on the 2015 F700GS,,. I've recently noticed that cable might be under a bit of stress when the bars are at hard right,,.
    Just wondering if anyone else has 2 inch risers and if they are still running the OEM cable with out issues?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    I've got 2" Rox risers and the original clutch cable on the 2015 F700GS,,. I've recently noticed that cable might be under a bit of stress when the bars are at hard right,,.
    Just wondering if anyone else has 2 inch risers and if they are still running the OEM cable with out issues?
    I have the same setup. No problem with cable length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes Lag liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Thats interesting to know Blunote,,.
    I've been running this set up for two years without issue as well, but recently with lever changes and and some other service related issues Ive had to make a number of adjustments and the freeplay is quite a bit different from one side to the other depending on the turn angle of the bars,,. Hard right no freeplay and and a bit to much freeplay hard left with the same adjustment? Also noticing that that cable is pretty tense when hard right?

Talked to BMW and they are recommending nothing more then 1.5 inch risers, saying that 2" could cause problems,,. I would just throw another cable in however they don't have such a thing and cant even give me a spec as to its length, just the correct OEM part with number for the same length,,.

Any suggestions as to where I could source a replacement cable thats 1" to 2",,,,?

I'm thinking this is a common enough problem, in fact a friend of mine had similar issues on his F800GS where his cable failed during a tip over, they have improvised temporary fix,,.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Lyle
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I tried rerouting my clutch cable today, I managed to get it quite good,,. The free play is now balanced from side to side,,.
    One of the reasons this has come up is I have a nagging downshift problem in second and first gear, I thought we fixed it
    the other day by making a minor tweak to the shift shaft fork assembly, however it seems to have resurfaced,,.
    To an eye, the shaft fork and plates look pretty straight so I'm just trying to eliminate some of the peripheral stuff first before
    opening up the clutch cover,,.