clutch cable with risers - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Lyle
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I've got 2" Rox risers and the original clutch cable on the 2015 F700GS,,. I've recently noticed that cable might be under a bit of stress when the bars are at hard right,,.
    Just wondering if anyone else has 2 inch risers and if they are still running the OEM cable with out issues?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    I've got 2" Rox risers and the original clutch cable on the 2015 F700GS,,. I've recently noticed that cable might be under a bit of stress when the bars are at hard right,,.
    Just wondering if anyone else has 2 inch risers and if they are still running the OEM cable with out issues?
    I have the same setup. No problem with cable length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes Lag liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Thats interesting to know Blunote,,.
    I've been running this set up for two years without issue as well, but recently with lever changes and and some other service related issues Ive had to make a number of adjustments and the freeplay is quite a bit different from one side to the other depending on the turn angle of the bars,,. Hard right no freeplay and and a bit to much freeplay hard left with the same adjustment? Also noticing that that cable is pretty tense when hard right?

Talked to BMW and they are recommending nothing more then 1.5 inch risers, saying that 2" could cause problems,,. I would just throw another cable in however they don't have such a thing and cant even give me a spec as to its length, just the correct OEM part with number for the same length,,.

Any suggestions as to where I could source a replacement cable thats 1" to 2",,,,?

I'm thinking this is a common enough problem, in fact a friend of mine had similar issues on his F800GS where his cable failed during a tip over, they have improvised temporary fix,,.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Lyle
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I tried rerouting my clutch cable today, I managed to get it quite good,,. The free play is now balanced from side to side,,.
    One of the reasons this has come up is I have a nagging downshift problem in second and first gear, I thought we fixed it
    the other day by making a minor tweak to the shift shaft fork assembly, however it seems to have resurfaced,,.
    To an eye, the shaft fork and plates look pretty straight so I'm just trying to eliminate some of the peripheral stuff first before
    opening up the clutch cover,,.

Real Name
    angie unless its greg!
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Older post but I've run the Rox 2" without any issue on my 2014 F7. Best addition I made to the bike, transformed my standing position off-pavement and perceived skittishness is gone when I am able to stand. Greg

Real Name
    Lyle
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Love the 2 " Rox risers, I cant really operate standing up without them,,.

However, I've found that if you do a hard right with the Handle bars with 2 " risers you are actually stressing the clutch cable,,. Easy to check this,,. Mine showed a definite lack of free play when doing the hard right and the cable was under obvious stress at the triple tree bracket,,. One of the reasons this came up was that a friend with an F8 2" Rox risers laid his bike down and the bars were stressed hard right and he snapped the cable off at the lower clutch cover end, they had to do a make shift repair in the field in order to get the bike the bike out,,. Since then he has rerouted a new cable of the same length just to the left side of the fork and I have done the same and it appears to have releaved the stress and the foreplay is now balanced,,.

There are comments where folks have not had issue and also folks that have had issue running OEM cable with 2" risers as with me for a couple of years, no problem, however,,.
    I would highly recommend anyone do the simple test "hard left/hard right while monitoring cable stress and clutch free play,.

Please let me know what you think?

Real Name
    angie unless its greg!
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Love the 2 " Rox risers, I cant really operate standing up without them,,.

However, I've found that if you do a hard right with the Handle bars with 2 " risers you are actually stressing the clutch cable,,. Easy to check this,,. Mine showed a definite lack of free play when doing the hard right and the cable was under obvious stress at the triple tree bracket,,. One of the reasons this came up was that a friend with an F8 2" Rox risers laid his bike down and the bars were stressed hard right and he snapped the cable off at the lower clutch cover end, they had to do a make shift repair in the field in order to get the bike the bike out,,. Since then he has rerouted a new cable of the same length just to the left side of the fork and I have done the same and it appears to have releaved the stress and the foreplay is now balanced,,.

There are comments where folks have not had issue and also folks that have had issue running OEM cable with 2" risers as with me for a couple of years, no problem, however,,.
    I would highly recommend anyone do the simple test "hard left/hard right while monitoring cable stress and clutch free play,.

Please let me know what you think?
    Hi Lyle,
    I checked this and found that while the cable doesn't have much free play when hard right, it does have enough that it isn't under significant stress. There is still some room for movement in the top cable guide. I was able to deflect the cable easily at midpoint, as well as top and bottom. Oddly enough it almost felt that the hand lever free play increased slightly when turned hard right. The clutch lever engine side did not move at all in any of the swings side to side or when I deflected the cable mid-point.
    Thanks for pointing this potential issue out, better to check than to have a problem. Also, it may be that the angle I have the risers on and/or the lever angle (adjustment is practically nil) is making a difference.
    Did a few km off pavement yesterday, re-affirming the remarkable improvement and standing comfort these risers have provided for myself and the F7.
    Greg

Real Name
    Lyle
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Creg,,,,Interesting,,.
    "Also, it may be that the angle I have the risers on and/or the lever angle (adjustment is practically nil) is making a difference." (Yes this could be the difference)

Mine had no freeplay right, plenty center and left and the cable was so tight hard right that the cable guide was actually denting the cable wrap,,. I looked for a straight plug and play cable replacement 2" longer and was not able to find one so as I mentioned I've rerouted to the left of the left fork which is an easy fix,,.

Real Name
    angie unless its greg!
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Creg,,,,Interesting,,.
    "Also, it may be that the angle I have the risers on and/or the lever angle (adjustment is practically nil) is making a difference." (Yes this could be the difference)

Mine had no freeplay right, plenty center and left and the cable was so tight hard right that the cable guide was actually denting the cable wrap,,. I looked for a straight plug and play cable replacement 2" longer and was not able to find one so as I mentioned I've rerouted to the left of the left fork which is an easy fix,,.
    Rox says they fit our bikes without cable issues, in my case they were right. Careful you don't get too long a cable, can be just as hard to get rid of excess, gets caught on things, etc. I probably spent the better part of a day running the cables on my DRZ when I swapped out the carb to an FCR pumper, others have said it was a 5 min job.
    But every bike is slightly different. Angie's '13 model would not benefit from the AX-FIED spoofer, whereas my '14 model certainly did. I suspect mapping differences are the root.

Real Name
    Lyle
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Anyways,,,,how are you doing,,, have you been able to get your Okanogan riding in this season,,?

Real Name
    angie unless its greg!
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Anyways,,,,how are you doing,,, have you been able to get your Okanogan riding in this season,,?
    It's been a slow year for riding for us, just out a couple times. Fires in all directions, many of them near or within our favorite riding areas, dirt or street. Family visits, CV19, work, the lot has all contributed. A nice fall would be welcome, if the fires abate.
    How about you?
    Greg