O2 modifiers - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    Hi , I’ve been reading elsewhere on this forum about problems with the F800ST being snatchy at low revs. I have started to notice this with my bike which is 2010 model. I also read about O2 modifiers to smooth out the harsh power delivery at low revs. I’ve never heard of these and wondered if I could get some more information about same ; where I could get one from and could I as a competent home mechanic , fit it myself. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

5 Days Ago
    TBH you learn how the bike works, and smooth out your throttle inputs and know when is best to de-clutch/ride it if necessary at lower speeds. Ensuring your bike is running as best as can be is the best 'fix', as the lean fuel mixture is what can create the snatchy feeling.

I had one many moons ago, and really couldn't tell much difference with it on/off the bike.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

4. Likes BoxerBits liked this post

Real Name
    Dave
    36 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    I took a while to get used to my GT after a Pan and a Deauville.
    The Rotax engined GT has quite a different character.
    It needs to be in a lower gear with more engine revs than my old Honda.
    For example 1st or 2nd less than 30, 3rd at 30, 4th at 40 and any suitable gear for the circumstances above 50mph ish.
    Its not a bike to glide along at 40/50 in 6th - it took a while to learn to be in a lower gear with more revs.
    The effect on fuel consumption is negligable varying from 60 to 70 mpg - mainly depending on how fast I need to go for the circumstances.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

6. Likes Oleran liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    angie unless its greg!
    6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Hi , I’ve been reading elsewhere on this forum about problems with the F800ST being snatchy at low revs. I have started to notice this with my bike which is 2010 model. I also read about O2 modifiers to smooth out the harsh power delivery at low revs. I’ve never heard of these and wondered if I could get some more information about same ; where I could get one from and could I as a competent home mechanic , fit it myself. Thanks
    Hi,
    the wife and I have a 2013 and 2014 F700. My '14 was running quite a bit leaner than her '13, using about 10% less fuel on a given ride(I run in a bigger gear than she does). I also had a significantly 'snatchier' throttle and stalled it far more often than I have ever done in over 50 years of riding a variety of bikes.
    So, installed the AX-FIED module and found it works quite well, delivered a smoother throttle and moved the annoying engine vibes further up the rpm scale, while using a bit more fuel. The install is truly simple, reading the settings and deciding which to use takes the bulk of the time. The bike was OK before but it's just that little bit better afterwards and I'd install it again. This from a cheap ole' B'tard.
    Any questions, let me know. I have zero affiliation with the AX-FIED, but am a happy customer, so far. Greg

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    17 Hours Ago
    Allan I posted some info on the F800S and ST Discussion thread. I second all that anjelli has said, having installed an Ax-FIED unit some years ago. Note however that for some riders it seemed to make no difference. As DJ123 says, riding style may have a lot to do with it.

1 Week Ago
    Thanks again Redned , you’ve been very helpful. I realise I’d posted twice but thought I’d got the wrong section initially

Real Name
    Jim
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    I looked into the AF-Xied, but didn't get one because my bike doesn't have any low throttle 'snatchiness' (or other issues).
    The lowest price I found was https://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafxiedf800.html
    '08 F800ST Low 

1 Day Ago
    I have a Power Commander for sale that came off my 2012 F800ST complete with a CD instruction manual. $150 plus shipping.

Real Name
    bever
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    how did you find the power commander Bluerider? i`ve fitted the EJK tuner and find it has helped my bike off the mark and feels like it has better midrange as well.

2 Weeks Ago
    Have an F650/800 and when I first rode the bike I noticed that it was a little snatchier than my other bikes, however after riding for a few hundred kms, I have changed the way I change down and up, and when and were to change gear in relation to the revs and gearing. and when to be gentle on the throttle, I now ride the bike without any snatchiness, It has just taken a wee while to adapt to it. Also make sure your chain is not too loose.

15. Likes DJ123 liked this post

Real Name
    angus cargill
    1 Day Ago
    My 2014 GT is the same----I remember this being noted on road test when they first came out ---they attributed it to the 'lean burn' . Mind you I also have a triumph T120 which is a 1200 twin ----and it is the same , it is also a 'lean burn' ( 66mpg!) I think big twins are susceptible to this anyway, i suppose it makes sense ----hard to be smooth when there are fewer but bigger 'thumps' . I actually reduced the gearing slightly (5%)on the triumph to make it easier to ride at low speeds (roundabouts etc) ----can't do this on the GT and its gearing is pretty good anyway (the triumph was really too high ).

1 Day Ago
    Regarding the Power Commander on my 2012 F800 ST: The bike came with it installed but I decided to take it off after the first ride. I also have a 2007 F800ST and I liked how it performed without the Power Commander so while I had the 2012 in the shop for a "once over" I had them remove the Power Commander. Sorry I can't help you out with a first hand experience.

18. Likes 308bever liked this post

Real Name
    Paul
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '66 T20SH
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800 GT
    When I had an F800ST I fitted a Boosterplug and it did make a noticeable and useful difference to the low speed running. I took it off when I changed to an F800GT and it is still in my garage somewhere looking for a good home. It is very easy to fit, plug and play. If Allan would like to have it for a nominal postage fee then PM me.

Real Name
    Jim
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '74 T150T Trident
    Motorcycle
    '07 Ninja 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulius55 View Post
    When I had an F800ST I fitted a Boosterplug and it did make a noticeable and useful difference to the low speed running. I took it off when I changed to an F800GT and it is still in my garage somewhere looking for a good home. It is very easy to fit, plug and play. If Allan would like to have it for a nominal postage fee then PM me.
    What / how did it improve the 'running'?
    '08 F800ST Low 

Real Name
    Paul
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '66 T20SH
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800 GT
    It significantly reduced the low speed jerkiness, improved pick-up from low revs and allowed me to be in one higher gear than before.

22. Likes Randyjaco liked this post

5 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukopia View Post
    What / how did it improve the 'running'?
    IIRC It fools the air intake temp sensor to thinking its colder than it is so the ECU injects more fuel. Which means the burn isn't as lean and makes the throttle less sensitive at lower RPM's.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    IIRC It fools the air intake temp sensor to thinking its colder than it is so the ECU injects more fuel. Which means the burn isn't as lean and makes the throttle less sensitive at lower RPM's.
    I have read that this is only in initial open loop operation and that once the engine is warmed up and operating closed loop the O2 sensor's readings determine mixture and the Boosterplug does nothing.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Greg
    2 Days Ago
    I installed a Power Commander FC on my 2011 F800ST. I didn't like the flat spot in the middle of the rev range the stock bike had. I use the bike mostly in the city and for commuting so the flat spot really bothered me. The PC makes it run so much smoother throughout the power band. I didn't custom tune it, I chose from the tunes offered by PC. First I tried a tune that gave the bike an incredible increase in power and torque but killed the fuel efficiency, then a tune that says it is for an F800R. That one is nearly stock (you can see the map of the tune you are downloading), but really smooths out the low and mid rpm range and is still economical on fuel.
    Greg
    2011 F800st
    SW Motech bar backs, Remus exhaust, Power commander, Racetech fork springs 

Real Name
    angus cargill
    1 Day Ago
    good info----thanks . I think that I will go for a PC. The bikes snatchiness annoys me and spoils an otherwise great package.