Not starting - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Minutes Ago
    My 2012 F800r has decided not to start. Press starter button and nothing, not even a click. Have tested starter, relay solenoid, switch and sidestand and all work independently. Can bump start it and then runs fine until stop and then its bump start again. My thinking now is that it's the ECU but is there any way to find out. Am at the stage when got no option but to take it to dealer. Anybody had same problem and found solution

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    At the risk of asking the obvious... Is your battery bad? What is the voltage while not running? The computer won't let the engine crank at all (or click) if it thinks there isn't enough power. Then once bump started, the stator could be producing enough power to run things in your case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

2 Minutes Ago
    The battery is about 2 months old and has a not running charge of 12.8v. It is on a can bus optimiser regularly. It's got me baffled!
    Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Where are you based? Country, city, town?

Do you have a means of reading engine codes? (GS911 or Motoscan??)

Thats the place to start ..... if you pardon the pun !!!
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

4 Days Ago
    Have you tested the clutch lever switch? Seems to be the only thing missing from your list.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    Have you tested the clutch lever switch? Seems to be the only thing missing from your list.
    The clutch switch would only enter the equation if the OP was trying to start the bike while in gear though.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

2 Minutes Ago
    Haven't tested clutch switch but bike is in neutral with N displayed on dash. Need it for a trip at beginning of August and independent bmw guy can't look at it until after as on holiday. So biting the bullet and booked it in with dealer for Thursday. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks

4 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    The clutch switch would only enter the equation if the OP was trying to start the bike while in gear though.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    As would the sidestand switch . . . .

Best to rule out all areas of safety cut off switches.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

2 Minutes Ago
    Booked a diagnostic at bmw and due to the pending cost of £147 decided to run tests again and found the problem in the starter switch. A small blue button that wasn't working when found the right pins to test by trial and error. Then tried putting some wire in the female side of the plug and bingo it started. Now going to see if the seperate parts of the switch unit can be bought or whether have to buy whole thing. Either way its minus the cost of the diagnostic test. Thanks for your contributions. 😁

12. Likes DJ123 liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman25 View Post
    Haven't tested clutch switch but bike is in neutral with N displayed on dash. Need it for a trip at beginning of August and independent bmw guy can't look at it until after as on holiday. So biting the bullet and booked it in with dealer for Thursday. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks
    My 2008 had a recall for the ignition key chip reader. Might look and see if yours has a service bulletin for that problem?

If you can pull the OBD II code, that would help. If there’s a local BMW Motorcycle Owners club in your area, you might ask if someone has a connector.
    '07 F800ST 

1 Week Ago
    Here's time to admit to something really dumb. When I was a teenager (long time ago), bike quit, dead as can be, at night in the rain. What a dilemma. After some cold, wet walking, I gave up for the night. Unpleasant night. Next morning, I discovered I had hit the kill switch. Return switch to "run" position--everything worked. Live and learn.

2 Minutes Ago
    Well it's sorted. Bought new top half of ignition switch unit and it started straight away. Coincidently it was the same cost as the diagnostic test so half the price of what I would have had to pay plus some labour costs. Expensive these BMW's aren't they. Thanks

4 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman25 View Post
    Well it's sorted. Bought new top half of ignition switch unit and it started straight away. Coincidently it was the same cost as the diagnostic test so half the price of what I would have had to pay plus some labour costs. Expensive these BMW's aren't they. Thanks
    they can be! especially with the dealer rates being high, and not many Motorbike workshops having the equipment to talk to the BMW bikes, or potentially the know how of the more niche models.