What is everyone paying for insurance? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    I've been paying almost $1,000 a year for full coverage insurance through Progressive, so right around $82 a month. I think that's way too high for an 8 year old motorcycle that's worth about $4,000. I'm 36 years old with 18 years of riding experience and my last ticket was 3-4 years ago in a car. I've never even been pulled over on the bike.

Is anyone else still running full coverage on their bike and if so what are you paying? I'm in the US.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Days Ago
    The thing with insurance is a small part is based on your riding history, and the bike itself (if it rare/valuable/hard to repair etc this may drive the cost up as it increases the repair cost/increases likelihood of a write off). A lot of the rest is statistical; thefts/break ins in the local area, how many accidents involving Bikes (single vehicle or multiple), cost of injury from an accident etc.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 55K Miles & counting 

Real Name
    Randy
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Surprisingly enough, your credit rating or lack there of, has a large impact on your insurance bill.
    2010 F800ST 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    That's more than I'm paying on my 2020 F900XR, full coverage and maxed out limits, I think I'm only like $900/yr and my wife's 2020 Kawi Vulcan S is $700 +/-. I'm in my mid 40's, wife a little older. My driving record is clean back to my teens and my wife averages a ticket every 10yrs or so. We're also with Progressive, but, BUT!!!! we go through a broker (AIS) and they do our cars and house too so there there are some decent discounts at work. I recently added a new toy, a '75 Kawasaki MT1/KV75, a 2-stoke mini bike that is plated and fully street legal due to it's age. I put FULL coverage on that too for a $2k value and my annual rate dropped $38, gotta love that multi-vehicle discount . It was actually $20/yr less to add collision, I mean that's just weird but that's how it works.

Real Name
    Andrew
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    I do, typically, have full coverage. With no overnight trips (and parking in a hotel lot overnight), I dropped theft coverage for the COVID year.

My experience in Canada are that prices are about half what I've seen posted but, I suspect (guessing) a big reason is the expense of a hospital stay is covered through our health care system and therefore doesn't factor into the risk exposure calculation.
    Last edited by Runmyownlife; 1 Week Ago at 07:21 AM.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I currently have Progressive and get a multi-policy discount as I have my bikes, cars and camper insured with them.

I am going to start looking around however - as Progressive just failed miserably when a friend needed to file a claim. He owned a BMW R1000GS Paris-Dakar bike that was very nice. The bike looked extremely nice with very good paint and no dents or dings and it had about 60,000 miles on it. He freshened up the top end, converted the generator to an alternator, rebuilt the forks, went through the transmission all in preparation for a 6 week long touring ride with his wife riding on back. I believe he paid about $6,000 to purchase the bike.

He and some friends went on a multi-day ride that included a lot of time on forest roads in Virginia....the weather had been wet and rainy for several days and the trails were slick. About 5 miles in something happened and his bike slid sideways and slammed into an embankment. He broke his collar bone and they needed an ambulance to get him out and they hauled the bike out on a wrecker even though it was still functional. While in the hospital the VA Highway Patrol visited him and wrote him a citation for Reckless Operation of a vehicle. The motorcycle had a bent engine guard, a broken turn signal, and the plastic skid plate was torn. When the Progressive Adjuster came to look at the bike he said they would total it and pay him $1,500 for the bike - and even after a long discussion that was the best they would do! He ended up not filing a claim and repaired the bike himself....then he switched insurance companies! (He also had to arrange for an attorney local to the VA court to attend the court hearing on his behalf to resolve the citation he got for having an accident on a muddy forest road).

I hope I am not hijacking this thread - but I really want to have an insurance company that will pay a reasonable amount if I ever need to file a claim.

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Keep in mind that unless you specifically cover your added expenses, insurance doesn't care if you modify the bike. They only care about the original value with adjustment for time/miles, basically a NADA type value which after a quick search looks spot on. All my expensive mods are called out on my policy to ensure they are given value should the need arise. What your friend did amounted more to maintenance, maybe with the exception of the gen conversion and insurance def does not care about any of that.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    After following my father-in-laws career for my 47 years of being married to his daughter, I'm convinced of going through an Independent Insurance Agent. They represent a number of companies and will shop around for you to find the best deal. Not only that, but they will also work to keep your business. There are some of his clients that represent three generations of the same family.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

11. Likes pbansen liked this post

Real Name
    Cramer
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I'm 46 and married. I use State Farm for both my cars, my bike, my homeowners, and my umbrella policy. For my 08'ST I only pay $180.65 ANNUALLY! That's full coverage including 250/500/100 liability, 10k of medical, comprehensive and collision (both with $500 deductibles), plus un and under insured vehicles at 100/300.

My cars total $531.09 every 6 months. That's a 16' BMW 535I GT and a 17' Volkswagen GTI SE. Full coverage on everything even though none of them are financed.

I got lots of speeding tickets and had my license suspended many years ago, but over the past 10 years or so I've only gotten one ticket which was about 4 years ago.

Sounds like I'm getting a pretty good bargain! I would bet where you live also factors into it.
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by ccramerusc View Post
    ...Sounds like I'm getting a pretty good bargain! I would bet where you live also factors into it.
    And that's why comparing insurance rates is a waste of time. There are so many factors in what makes up for an insurance quote. Where you live. What you ride. How many miles per year. Driving record. How many are in your family. Marital status.

And even what coverage you're paying for. The price for "full coverage" is going to be dramatically higher than someone else's price for just liability.
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Nick
    4 Days Ago
    $116 a year for full coverage with progressive for a 2012 F800gs. I live in the middle of nowhere NH and theft is not existent and with the rider safety courses and years riding without any incidents as well as the credit score as someone else noted. The agent was even surprised at what my rate came back as, but I haven’t received a ticket in nearly 20 years.

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F 800 ST
    Interesting to hear the Progressive claim details. I have Progressive myself right now, but I don't have any other vehicles, so I can't do a multi-policy thing with them. I pay about $140-150 for comprehensive + liability + the usual under-insured stuff, but no collision.
    I agree with what rcb78 said - add-ons are a special column/option that needs to be checked when selecting coverage, I think. And in spite of doing that, they pay much less than the purchase price for them.

My only claim experience has been with Dairyland. I went with them simply because they had the cheapest quote for a Suzuki GSX650F I had before. There was an attempted theft on it, during which the thieves damaged the frame because they tried to force the handlebar free in the locked position. So it got totaled. The claim process with Dairyland was long but pretty fair, relatively speaking. They paid the Blue Book/NADA value, as rcb78 said, and that's where I found out that add-ons also depreciate a lot. I added a couple of new R&G frame sliders to it, which cost about $230 or so, and it came with an aftermarket seat (from the previous owner) that usually goes for around $350 new. After mentioning those two items to the adjuster, I think their payout went up only by $100-200. Their payout just about broke even with all my major expenses on that bike (including the purchase price), but I also bought it about $700-800 lower than the typical market value back then. With the bike prices nowadays, I think insurance payouts will really hurt.

I don't know what year the R1000GS you mentioned came out in, Thumpin, but I'm assuming it's at least 10 years old? My Suzuki was a 2008 model and only had about 27k miles on it. They paid around $2700 for it, although I don't know if insurance payouts differ between brands as well.

Real Name
    Ron
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    It is hard to compare rates and there are too many factors considered to be of much use in comparing them. I was paying $250 a year full coverage and this year went to American Modern and it dropped to $89 a year for full coverage. That is on a 2009 BMW F650GS. I am a member of the BMW MOA, so there is a discount for that. Still hard to compare from one insurance carrier to another as well as the insured.
    ...if in a single day we smell coffee, dawn, gun oil, powder, a wet dog, woodsmoke, bourbon and the promise of a west wind for a fair tomorrow and it's possible for us to reek "happy", that's just what we will do...Gene Hill 

Real Name
    Roy Rowlett
    4 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    I currently have Progressive and get a multi-policy discount as I have my bikes, cars and camper insured with them.

I am going to start looking around however - as Progressive just failed miserably when a friend needed to file a claim. He owned a BMW R1000GS Paris-Dakar bike that was very nice. The bike looked extremely nice with very good paint and no dents or dings and it had about 60,000 miles on it. He freshened up the top end, converted the generator to an alternator, rebuilt the forks, went through the transmission all in preparation for a 6 week long touring ride with his wife riding on back. I believe he paid about $6,000 to purchase the bike.

He and some friends went on a multi-day ride that included a lot of time on forest roads in Virginia....the weather had been wet and rainy for several days and the trails were slick. About 5 miles in something happened and his bike slid sideways and slammed into an embankment. He broke his collar bone and they needed an ambulance to get him out and they hauled the bike out on a wrecker even though it was still functional. While in the hospital the VA Highway Patrol visited him and wrote him a citation for Reckless Operation of a vehicle. The motorcycle had a bent engine guard, a broken turn signal, and the plastic skid plate was torn. When the Progressive Adjuster came to look at the bike he said they would total it and pay him $1,500 for the bike - and even after a long discussion that was the best they would do! He ended up not filing a claim and repaired the bike himself....then he switched insurance companies! (He also had to arrange for an attorney local to the VA court to attend the court hearing on his behalf to resolve the citation he got for having an accident on a muddy forest road).

I hope I am not hijacking this thread - but I really want to have an insurance company that will pay a reasonable amount if I ever need to file a claim.
    I have progressive on 3 BMW's. The policy has what's called "Stated Value" since 2 of them are vintage. Fortunately I haven't had to file a claim but that may be your best route. There are other insurance companies that do stated value too.

18. Likes pbansen liked this post

2 Days Ago
    Had to chime in because just today, I sold the rebel 250 I bought to train the wife. Taking it off my progressive policy would INCREASE my $380 annual rate by $44... I'm 43, and have $300k csl/full coverage/$500 deductable, on a 2013 F800GT, and a 2015 SR400 (and liability only on a rebel 250 that may not be in my garage at the moment). I get a USAA referral discount, had one red light ticket in 2001, and no other coverage with progressive. Go figure. Live in Tehachapi, so CA but not LA or anything.

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Same thing happened when we went from 3 to 2 bikes, annual cost went up $100. Now that I've got the little toy plated and on the road, it went back down when we added it.