Beat the Heat! - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Real Name
    Phil
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    I think what you have produced looks just fine, especially since it's a hot day only device designed to be removable.
    Looking at the UK weather forecast we are unlikely to have a 80º+ day now until next Summer! I may have a go at producing something similar over the winter ready for next year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I went on a long ride today......250 miles. The roads in this area don't always allow for a fast time getting anywhere - I left at 10 AM and got home a bit before 4PM.

During the first part of my ride it was 75 degrees and I was on Route 10 between Alexandria and Maysville, KY - a curvy back road that allows me to ride 50mph on the straights and I try to slow down as little as possible for the curves. The heat from the engine was not at all noticeable.

Later in the ride I got on Route 50 on the Ohio side of the Ohio River, and was headed east toward Portsmouth. The temperature on this part of the ride started to climb over 80 degrees, and I could feel a small amount of warmth on one or both legs. Sometimes there was a little heat, sometimes none.......I am not sure if it was the wind or sun changing the way the heat felt. At no time did it get hot......just a warm feeling that had not been there earlier.

The last couple of hours of the ride got up to the 86-88 degree maximum for the day. Once again there were periods of time when I could sense the heat, and at other times I could not. The last part of the ride was the worst as I had crossed over the Ohio River and gotten back into Kentucky and I was headed south on US 27 through Highland Heights, Cold Spring and Alexandria. Have you ever noticed that at the end of a long ride all the traffic lights seem to be RED! I just could not get through an intersection with a green light - and the hot sun, hot pavement stop and go riding got me really hot! I always ride with a full face helmet, gloves, armored jacket....and my pants were Gusset jeans with Kevlar......it sure was tempting to take the jacket off! Not all the heat was from the engine - the sun and hot pavement were creating a lot of the heat.

I definitely feel the changes I made have helped to lower the temperature and made hot weather riding far more enjoyable. I still think a lot of heat is being radiated by the frame, and if you hug the frame with your legs it has to be brutal on hot days. As long as the temperatures stay below 85 the heat was negligible - and it sure helps to be moving fast enough to create some good airflow.

I will definitely see if some simple covers on the frame can help.....maybe we don't need to spend $500 on carbon fiber frame covers!

4. Likes Rev Ken, theSpeedRacerX liked this post

Real Name
    Tim
    5 Days Ago
    I am a new guy to the F800 GT (2015) and it is absolutely hot. Both myself and my Brother in law rode it last week with the temperature between 80 and 90 degrees. Between the two of us we have owned over 50 bikes of all sizes and types and this bike is by far the hottest. It seems to be the frame that almost burns your legs. Have you made any progress with the frame cover suppliers? Their web site doesn’t say much and much of it is in Japanese. Thanks for all the information you have provided!

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I sent an email to the Webike "HELP" area, as that was the only place I could get an email address without registering. If I don't hear something from them - I will register and try again.

When you sign up you get a coupon for a 5% savings....about $25 savings on a set of the heat guards (not a bunch).

2 Weeks Ago
    Purely anecdotal, but I really noticed the heat from the bike for the first time the other day. it's was also the first time in a long time I've not had the panniers and top box on the bike, could the panniers change the airflow enough to draw the heat away?

9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    When I initially started to notice the heat was after installing a larger windscreen. I believe the larger area of low pressure behind the screen pulls more hot air up from the engine. I tried taking the panniers and top box off to see if it had any affect - I could not tell any difference with the boxes on or off.

I am on my way to Jasper, Arkansas this week for 5 days of riding in the Ozark Mountains, and this should be a good durability test for the improvements I made. Before leaving I did remove the rubber seal I installed on the left side and replaced it with the removable foam strip like I installed on the right side.

No response yet from the folks about a group buy discount on the Carbon Fiber frame covers.....when I return from Arkansas I will try contacting them by subscribing to their site and then sending the request.

10. Likes Randyjaco liked this post

23 Hours Ago
    I also think trying to trap heat in is a fool’s errand. If it is just the frame getting hot that bothers someone why not put a plastic cover just on that little piece of frame? Of the 5 bikes I have owned 2 of them make this bike feel like normal comfortable temperatures to me, but then again I ride in full leathers. How are shorts?
    2013 F800GT
    San Diego CA 

Real Name
    Ken Wright
    8 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighning View Post
    I also think trying to trap heat in is a fool’s errand. If it is just the frame getting hot that bothers someone why not put a plastic cover just on that little piece of frame? Of the 5 bikes I have owned 2 of them make this bike feel like normal comfortable temperatures to me, but then again I ride in full leathers. How are shorts?
    My legs don't reach the frame. My knees fit into the side air vent!

23 Hours Ago
    That is perfect for winter riding! I have reached into my engine before to heat my hands while riding, alternatively of course.
    2013 F800GT
    San Diego CA 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2