Switched Navi GPS power cable/socket - Power Rating or Max Amps ? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

4 Days Ago
    Hi,
    Does anyone know how much power I can draw from this connector ? I have the cable part number 80 00 0 611 656 fitted, and I've connected this to a 12v - 5v converter to power my GPS unit. It works great.
    But how much power can it deliver ? I'd like to connect a second 12v - 5v convertor, to charge a smart phone too.

The GPS takes 5v, 1.5A
    Phone would take 5v, 2A
    Which is 17.5W. Lets say each convertor consumes 100mA each, that will add another 1W, so 18.5W in total.

So the 12v switch navi/gps feed would have to deliver approx 1.5 amps. If it could deliver at least 2A, then that would be plenty of power.

Does anyone know if it can deliver 2A ? I guess I could try it, but I'd like to see if its possible before I start warming up my soldering iron. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Don't know specifically, however I have 2 3led running lights connected to the GPS power connector & no issues

These rated at 0.8W / 12v
    Ajay

F800GT 2018 

6 Hours Ago
    I think the output is 5 Amps from that connector (or at least 2-3A), so you should be fine. Stick a Multimeter on it if you have one to check the output when charging.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Its 5A max.
    F800GT in blue known as "The Blue Bat"
    Based near Peterborough, Cambridge, UK 

Real Name
    Lyle
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I've got a hard wired GPS and a set of running lights coming off and no problems,,. I could not find what the draw on the lights was so I just wired it up to see if it would work and its been fine all season so I haven't looked into it any further, very convenient to use the switched gps circuit?
    Last edited by Lag; 08-10-21 at 03:45 AM.

4 Days Ago
    5A will be more than enough I need. I'll start warming up the soldering iron soon ! Thanks for the help

4 Days Ago
    I got busy with the soldering iron. All worked out great. I have a 5v 2A max USB charger for my Garmin 396, and added a 5v 3A max USB charger for my phone.
    I cut off the usual USB A connector from the chargers, and used Tamiya type conntectors with gold contacts. These will offer a more stable connection, and lock together, so won't come undone.

The 3A USB charger I had hoped would fast charge. It does charge, and it does charge fast enough (my phone reaches 100% when I'm out for a ride). But as I ony have the + and - wires connected, and no data cables, perhaps there is a trick with the data cables, that the phone knows when its connected to a fast charger. Anyway, it doesn't matter, as more than enough power comes out.

Now I can connect my phone to the GPS unit, and receive traffic, camera info, and weather (I bought that feature). The weather is nice, as it shows the state of the roads. A nice to have, if looking for the dry line in your area.

I'll add some photos too

4 Days Ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-09-07 19-20-02 - IMG_20210907_192000_hdr.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	374659

Name:	2021-09-07 19-30-56 - IMG_20210907_193054_hdr.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	374661

Name:	2021-09-07 19-40-31 - IMG_20210907_194029_hdr.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	374663

4 Days Ago
    Some of you might notice the SKYRICH HJTX14H-FP Lithium-Ionen too. I fitted that a few months ago. There was no real reason to do it, apart from the weight saving. Bike is totally fine with it. Starts and goes as expected. I've not had any issues with it. It seems to hold a charge well. Its a good weight saving. I'm not sure if I actually notice it, but somehow I feel I'm definitely getting more lean angle out of the bike. Its probably all in the mind though I fell there is less weight high up, which gives me more cornering confidence. Its probably all in the mind ! But works for me

Real Name
    Lyle
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Fitted to which bike?,,,
    Any problem with Canbus or any electronic tools or magic required to switch this in,,.
    The Ali Express ones are really inexpensive,,.
    How much weight do you think you saved,,.

4 Days Ago
    I have a 2013 F800GT. The battery fits straight in. I had to bend the connecting wires downwards a little, as the battery sits deeper (its not as tall). But that wasn't an issue to do. Its nice that it is low to keep the weight low too. The battery came with some plastic blocks, so if you want the battery at the original height, you can add those at the bottom.
    I did no changes to the electrics. I just removed the old battery, and placed the new one in. It has a charge test button, I found my battery was already charged, so I just put it in without charging.
    I've not noticed any electrical differences. Everything works fine on the bike. It starts first time as normal. It does have reduced capacity, but for me thats not a problem, I only run my accessories when the engine is going too. Maybe if you need the original capacity, then its not worth to switch.
    Weight saving is great. The SKYRICH is approx 2.2 lbs so about 1 kg. Normal lead battery is about 9 lbs so about 4 kg. So its a lot of weight saved, and the less weight is now lower mounted on the bike too.

4 Days Ago
    Maybe charging it off the bike could be an issue. You will need either a special charger, or do what I do, and buy a slow charger. The slow charger gives out voltage not exceeding the spec of the battery (I think it has to be < 15v, I can't remember now, but its written in the spec of the battery by SKYRICH). I'm not going to give it too much voltage, and a slow charger hardly gives out many amps either.
    So far I've only decided to top it up once. But the battery didn't need it. It holds a charge very well. It seems to discharge slower than a normal battery.