BMW F800 Forum banner

Weird oil leak around stator cover...any advice?

Tags
f800gs leak oil
2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  slparry 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

My 2017 F800 GS with 32,000 miles has developed a small oil leak around the front portion of the stator cover, just behind the exhaust pipe.

I first noticed this leak around December 2020. I had changed the oil the day before I noticed the seeping and assumed it was some oil that had splashed on the engine case from when I removed the oil filter. I cleaned the bike and all seemed well.

However, sometime later I noticed a new wet spot had developed in this same spot. Cleaned it off, kept riding. Checked oil levels, still sitting at "full" on the dip stick.

I'll clean the bike about once a month and it'll gradually come back.

I hit up ADV Rider about 6 weeks ago regarding the issue, they suggested I tighten the stator cover bolts. I bought a Haynes manual and tightened the stator cover bolts according to the procedure. Cleaned off the bike again and now 6 weeks later... the oil spot is back.

Not really sure what the deal is here. Research I've been doing hasnt been successful - cant seem to find anyone that has posted online with a similar issue.

Can anyone share some insight here? Picture attached.

Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's only a spot, and not getting worse, (no bigger leak, and oil level not dropping) I'd carry on as is, and keep an eye on it.

I would re-do the torque settings though when the engine is warm, and see if that helps to nip up that seal.

Is it definitely coming form there, and not potentially running down/across from elsewhere? The talcum power test is good to show the trace of it.

#3 ·
If it's only a spot, and not getting worse, (no bigger leak, and oil level not dropping) I'd carry on as is, and keep an eye on it.

I would re-do the torque settings though when the engine is warm, and see if that helps to nip up that seal.

Is it definitely coming form there, and not potentially running down/across from elsewhere? The talcum power test is good to show the trace of it.
Its definitely coming from somewhere in the area where the wet spot is.

The bolt on the stator cover that has the most saturation around it (2nd one from the bottom) has 3 seams just behind it from what it looks like. The vertical seam where the stator cover mates to the engine, and then a horizontal seam where the oil sump pan is bolted on. I'm wondering if its the stator cover or the oil sump pan.

Either way, I'll go warm the engine up and retorque the stator cover and oil pan bolts.

#5 ·
Hey everyone,

My 2017 F800 GS with 32,000 miles has developed a small oil leak around the front portion of the stator cover, just behind the exhaust pipe.

I first noticed this leak around December 2020. I had changed the oil the day before I noticed the seeping and assumed it was some oil that had splashed on the engine case from when I removed the oil filter. I cleaned the bike and all seemed well.

However, sometime later I noticed a new wet spot had developed in this same spot. Cleaned it off, kept riding. Checked oil levels, still sitting at "full" on the dip stick.

I'll clean the bike about once a month and it'll gradually come back.

I hit up ADV Rider about 6 weeks ago regarding the issue, they suggested I tighten the stator cover bolts. I bought a Haynes manual and tightened the stator cover bolts according to the procedure. Cleaned off the bike again and now 6 weeks later... the oil spot is back.

Not really sure what the deal is here. Research I've been doing hasnt been successful - cant seem to find anyone that has posted online with a similar issue.

Can anyone share some insight here? Picture attached.

View attachment 374317
I would check it's not the chain lube splashing!

#6 ·
Remove the bolt where the leak starts (2nd from top).

Check for any fine crack in the area of the hole.

If none then loosen all the bolts of the cover by about half a turn. Move the cover left-right and up-down a bit to get a better seat between the gasket and the cover. If bolts still too tight to do the shifting then loosen the bolts a bit more. Then start torqueing all the bolts beginning with the bolt mentioned on top. If you're lucky that might do it. If not...replace the gasket.

#9 ·
I'm following this thread... my 2007 F800S may have something similar... it's still new to me and it's cold outside so I haven't had a chance to thoroughly clean it and test it after a longer ride. I should'e taken more pics to document this when I first got it, uhh!

@DJ123 @guenner @AKBeemer @deblueJenkins

Gezzza seems to be not active as well... (but I have a belt drve)

Anyone else who may have something similar, please chime in?