Getting the bike off it's sidestand - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

09-16-21
    Hi,
    I can have a problem getting the bike back to vertical when using the sidestand.
    I've installed a low seat even though I'm not short 5' 9" but the problems just trying to get it vertical if the camber is not a lot more than horizontal.
    Anybody come across a solution to extend the stand ?
    Thanks,
    Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    You need to use your weight to tip the bike to the other side/upright and lift it from the side stand.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting 

4. Likes 308bever liked this post

13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    I do it with my legs more than my arms, push it up with your left leg against the saddle. Use your arms on the bars too, but most people have legs that are significantly stronger than any part of their upper body. It may also help to point the bars to the right first, this will raise the bike a little bit and every little bit helps if you're struggling.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Lyle
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    The GS models seem to lean over pretty far probable to prevent tip overs in unlevel terrain,,. There's actually a technique for up righting the bike from one side and then mounting the running bike and kicking was your moving,,. Not sure its for me thou,,!!

Check out 6 min 16 sec,,.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOD9NnTevH0

Real Name
    angie unless its greg!
    10-07-21
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    The accessory 'foot' (s) available will add a small amt of thickness to the bottom pad, you could probably add a thin extra layer to that as well. BUT, better to just practice tossing the bike to the upright from the sidestand until you have it mastered.
    Greg

13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '20 F900XR
    Almost forgot another tip, similar to longer travel dual sports and dirt bikes, put your weight on the saddle to make the bike sag and the kickstand will actually help push the bike up as you weight it down.

2 Weeks Ago
    I was listening to " Adventure rider radio " podcast and the topic was balance.
    The fellow being interviewed addressed this very issue.
    He said that his inseam was 28" so he could never put both feet on the ground. (He rides a f1200GS)
    His advice is to do static (bike off sitting still) balance training.
    Because his legs are so short , he can only have one foot on the ground at a time.
    What he does is have his leg slung over the seat as far as it will go while leaving the other on the ground. Then push up with the foot on the ground hard enough that you can slide over the seat, put both feet on the pegs , then lean to the opposite side and put your other foot on the ground.
    He admitted that it's difficult at first but he's seen riders shorter than he is master this. His contention is that if you ever have both feet on the ground ( if that's possible for you) you've lost partial control of the bike. Even at a stop light.
    And you are one foot( actual foot not distance away from standing up. Not two feet away.
    I've been practicing this technique in my back yard and it's amazing the progress I've made! I can get it to a point where the bike and I are balanced for a couple seconds before it leans to the opposite side ( or sometimes back to the same side LOL).
    It's great practice for balance and mobility (sliding from one side to the other). I've got to the point now where I can stand up (very briefly) while balanced.
    It's kind of cool sitting on the bike chatting with your buddies (while having a BBQ etc) and just teetering back and forth.
    Best of luck!!

11. Likes Rev Ken liked this post

Real Name
    Ian
    1 Day Ago
    Have a look on Youtube ref was "MOTOR COP TIP FOR HEAVY MOTORCYCLES IT REALLY WORKS" Simple method easily used, short video.

13. Likes bmwroadsterca liked this post

Real Name
    Ken Wright
    17 Hours Ago
    I've never had any problems getting my bikes off their side stands, but getting them on to the centre stand is a different story!

15. Likes notacop liked this post